• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Just replaced the resister with a sensor

M
Dec 23, 2010
End of last season my sensor went. Put in the resister, code went away and sled ran. It just hasn't worked the way it used to. I've had some clutch issues, worked everything out. Sled is a piped m1000 so has good power anyway, my EGTs on top have been low and I've been reluctant to cut fuel because it ran spot on last year. Put in the GM sensor, boom back to super rocket. hahaha Sensor is WAY better than resister.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I heard the sensor is worth 20 HP over the resister

If you look at the table for the sensor, it would depend on what resistor you choose. If you choose the resistor that matches 300 degrees, it won't run the same at 400...

If you've got the resistor for the appropriate operating temp, there should be no change.. AT WFO... but you'll never have the proper setup for every temp range.

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
After replacing several sensors in way too short of a time span, I have gone back to the resistor. Choose the right one for a pipe that is up too full temp, and the difference is barely noticeable. If you could buy the cheap sensor with the right plug, it would be worth it. I looked into changing the connector on the sled end to match the GM sensor, but GM wants a fortune for the pigtail, and I decided it wasn't worth it, after splicing several times you run out of wire and have more places too fail.
:face-icon-small-fro

F

fullshift

May 22, 2009
Brandon,Manitoba Canada
I run a 1000 with SLP exhaust and stock temp sensor with a power commander 5. I was thinking of removing egt sensor and putting in a 470 resistor. Then running PC auto tune with O2 sensor. I was hoping tuning the sled this way is the way to go. Or should I just weld another bung in pipe and run both sensors?

M
Dec 23, 2010
I was running the 470 ohm, if you look on the scale for the sensor that equates to about 650 degrees. I like my egts to hit 1150ish but that's only 4 inches from the cylinder. The sensor is farther out but I think it still needed higher temps. It runs stronger everywhere except in the high mid range where it worked good. These things run so strong that unless you've got egts you think its pulling well.

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
According to Dyno tech Jim the centre section of the pipe likes 1000/1050 *f to make peek power and he unplugs it on the dyno and the ecu defaults to what ever resistance makes max peek power,but the sensor also will retard timing to heat a cool pipe to increase throttle response /power. I don't think you want o remove it as it improves drivability as I understand it any ways.
BTW one of the GM sensors has the same plug as the Cat.

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
Oh, I see the fish shows 2011 and up use a different sensor that uses the same plug. 2010 and older don't match. :face-icon-small-fro

Premium Features