• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Please Need help with 2010 M8!!!

M

M1000Mod162

Nov 23, 2009
Colorado
I have a issue going on with my m8. it is doing a couple things! It has a terrible bog as soon as you try to give it any kind of the throttle it will bog really bad for about 5-6 seconds then it will kinda take off but with maybe 60% of the power it should have and also seems to surge and wont rev much higher then 7200 rpm! Problem started being just a little hesitation bog when stabbing the throttle and it slowly got worse till it was un ride-able problem 2 is it wont idle when started in the garage or in parking lot! Once I ride it around a little bit it idles fine! Also when in the garage or parking lot when it wont idle in forward you can throw it in reverse and it will idle fine at ANY time! Pretty weird

M
Mar 18, 2011
Manitoba
I have a issue going on with my m8. it is doing a couple things! It has a terrible bog as soon as you try to give it any kind of the throttle it will bog really bad for about 5-6 seconds then it will kinda take off but with maybe 60% of the power it should have and also seems to surge and wont rev much higher then 7200 rpm! Problem started being just a little hesitation bog when stabbing the throttle and it slowly got worse till it was un ride-able problem 2 is it wont idle when started in the garage or in parking lot! Once I ride it around a little bit it idles fine! Also when in the garage or parking lot when it wont idle in forward you can throw it in reverse and it will idle fine at ANY time! Pretty weird
REEDS

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I was going to say reeds right away too, but then you threw that part in about running fine in reverse. That makes me think you should get the TPS checked. I'm not sure but I don't think the ecu reads timing advance in reverse.

M

M1000Mod162

Nov 23, 2009
Colorado
Thanks guys! I had the tps tested and it tested fine! However I decided to throw a different one on there just cause and after swapping it she seems to be idleing fine now!!So one problem down!:face-icon-small-ton However she still seems to have the bog when I stab the throttle I tried to take her for a rip up the street and she is still seems to be doing the same thing! Unless its just loaded up real bad but I doubt it! Im thinking there still may be an issue! Any other ideas guys? I really want to get her going before the season is over so I can either sell it or at least be ready to ride going in to next season!

Thanks Ryan!

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
About all I can add is make sure your throttle cable is adjusted so you have some freeplay in the flipper, TPS is adjust correctly, and unplug the throttle safety switch for a trial run. Weak stators will let you run but not fast, also the timing pickup coil can cause issues. I assume you did check your reeds. Also you can check fuel pressure, 40 to 45 psi
A tank of bad gas can keep you looking for a long time too!

M

M1000Mod162

Nov 23, 2009
Colorado

I just want her to run like this again!!

I have checked Fp which was 48
I have swapped from a good running sled the ECU, VR, Coils, Timming sensors, Stator, magneto, bd box, also tried unhooking bd box! None of which resolved the problem! Engine compression is 125, crank seals seem good! Sprayed starting fluid around them and nothing changed! Voltage is 14.7 v dc which is perfect! I have put in new plugs also! I also just put on a brand new wiring harness from Cat! Pretty much beating my head against the handle bars at this point! Throttle cable is adjusted properly!

Thanks again
Ryan

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Mystery top end power loss would point to stator, might check fine cold but once hot they can act up. Not sure why you tps checked out but swapping out helped. I believe the stator out of a 09 will work also.

O

orange 1

Oct 31, 2009
Grande Prairie A.B.
Did you check your power valve cables for fraying/breaking, proper length and operate freely? Another sneaky one is a failed exhaust canister a quick rattle test and check over is worth a shot!

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
You have check it over pretty good. Fuel pressure seems high and compression seems low. They run better at 40 psi than 45 and you are at 48. Compression testing varies with elevation, but I'm sure you know what you are dealing with there. Only other things are pipe sensor and air temp sensor. A bad injector cold slow you down too. Gets to be a long list!

M

M1000Mod162

Nov 23, 2009
Colorado
I just put new Reeds in! But went ahead and put brand new reeds in again today and took it up! Reeds that were in it were ok. Anyway Same issue I also checked the powervalves and they are opening and closing fine!

Thanks for all the input guys! I took a little vid to show what is going on that I will try and post up soon! But it is basically still just surging from 6800 to 7100 max at Wot!

Still would love any buddys help just want to get this thing running again!

snosurfer

Premium Member
Oct 30, 2008
Just a long shot but you've look at everything else,I had A very similar problem with my m7,It just started acting up out of the blue would not rev above 7000 rpm so I bought a stator to put in it and when I went to take the flywheel off I noticed the bolt had loosed up enough to let the flywheel mash the keyway over and knock the sled out of timing new keyway and tighten the bolt problem solved worth checking out good luck!

M

M1000Mod162

Nov 23, 2009
Colorado
Just a long shot but you've look at everything else,I had A very similar problem with my m7,It just started acting up out of the blue would not rev above 7000 rpm so I bought a stator to put in it and when I went to take the flywheel off I noticed the bolt had loosed up enough to let the flywheel mash the keyway over and knock the sled out of timing new keyway and tighten the bolt problem solved worth checking out good luck!

Thank you! I have swapped the stator out with a different stator as well as the magneto and everything was good when I took it apart and nothing changed with different stator and magneto! I also swapped out the ignition timing sensors and still same problem!

Could a small crack in gas tank by the lid have any affect on what's taking place?

M

M1000Mod162

Nov 23, 2009
Colorado
I have posted a video on my FB page of what the sled is doing! I'm having troubles posting it on here! This is Ryan Smith please go to my Paige to see vid of what sled is doing! It is quite clear in the vid!

Thanks Ryan

Premium Features