• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

95 xlt track hitting tunnels aluminum wear strips! Notch track or ?

A
Mar 25, 2009
A friend has a 95 xlt sks indy with a Kevlar 1" track on it that i am guessing is not the original track since it is rubbing on the tunnel wear strips since there is no notched in the track lugs for the wear strips. It is rubbing like 1/4" of the lug at least. Can I notch the track lugs at these two areas with a grinder or??? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks

C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
If its just hitting the wear strips on the backside of the tunnel you can just take the aluminum strips out... about four rivets for each strip and they drop out like nothing

we had to remove ours when we put a 2" track on a 93 xlt, havent had any problems since we removed them. hope this helps

CK

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
I didn't realize they even put tunnel protectors on any of the SKS sleds, they are for studded tracks. As suggested already, just drill out the rivets and remove them. If you don't plan on running a studded track, there is no reason to have them in there.

Last edited:
C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
u could go with smaller drivers as well, but then u start messing with gearing and then a guy could get too deep with trying to get it to run right again, IMO just remove the wear bars under the tunnel and RIDE!!!
Good luck

CK

M
Jul 9, 2009
I would say just take out the wear bars on the tunnel. I took them out on mine to run a 2" track and have not had a problem. plus it is alot easier then the other options with D&R and moving mounts and gears. no new parts and only a few rivots to drill.

Premium Features