• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016/17 Big Horns N/S Snow conditions

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
Haven't heard any news on the southern horns. Anything worth riding? How are the lodges running this year? We really enjoyed it two years ago on the south side, wish it was worth the trip from eastern SD. Thanks for some local info.

Drove over yesterday. Looks like the good spots had about 2 feet. Not really enough yet to have fun, but is rideable if you are careful. The west side of the pass had a lot more snow than the east side. As far as I know meadowlark lodge by the ski area is the only rooms available this year. The parking lot by the gas pump didn't look plowed so not sure if they will have gas up there this year. I don't think deer haven will be open this winter. I would say one good storm or two small storms and it will be worth riding up there. I do for sure know that a guy from buffalo has 5 new axys he is renting out of meadowlark and is offering guide service also. Call meadowlark if you want to know more or get snowfall reports as that powder river snotel sometimes isn't accurate.

Knox

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2010
North Dakota
Is it worth driving out and riding for the new year weekend? Not looking to break anything

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mendelmiles

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
East central SD
Updates

I appreciate the response shelbwyo! Can't beat actual been there info. Have deep respect for those that can share what they love and have in their backyard with those of us that have to travel to enjoy it. I try to do the same when people come into my backyard to hunt pheasants. Glad we can all enjoy and respect the great out door together.

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
Is it worth driving out and riding for the new year weekend? Not looking to break anything

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I did not ride up there but I've been up there enough to know how riding will be based on what you can see from the highway. I would say no for the south big horns imo. Just not enough yet to cover up the land mines to ride care free. The north horns have a little more snow after the last storm so that might be a better option. Calling for snow again this weekend, not sure how much. If it helps any I drove 4 extra hours to come ride togwotee this week because they have more snow.

brandon227

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
North East Wyoming
Took the family up to high country over New Years. Conditions are fair for this time of year. The wind has really played a number on the snow pack. All of the ridge tops were blown bare, in the trees you could find hood deep snow fairly easily. Where the snow was soft you really had to watch out for rocks. Where the snow was set up it was very hard, like concrete hard.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I just drove up to take a look and it's rideable, the trail is groomed but I'm going to wait for one more shot before I go ride. The snow is up to the first rung of the fence most places and the wind was blowing a couple days ago so I assume there to be pockets of pretty decent snow.

Here's a pic at the bear lodge entrance

I also noticed bears rental fleet having some new g4s, a few proclimbs, '16 xmS, and a few pros. As well as the trail sleds

mark

Lifetime Membership
Sep 26, 2001
Wyoming
The Southern Horns

Took the family up to high country over New Years. Conditions are fair for this time of year. The wind has really played a number on the snow pack. All of the ridge tops were blown bare, in the trees you could find hood deep snow fairly easily. Where the snow was soft you really had to watch out for rocks. Where the snow was set up it was very hard, like concrete hard.

Pretty much how the south side was New Years Eve

J
Jan 20, 2016
Mankato, Mn
please keep this post updated, I am debating a trip here 2nd week of february. went to togwotee turn of the year and it was fabulous but want to check out bear lodge now. just want to be sure theres decent snow.

T

T Hallberg

Dec 18, 2016
Twin Cities Minnesota
I was riding in the UP of Michigan the last few days am headed to Bear Lodge this Wednesday I'll post when we get back. Great site with good posts much appreciated.

FlatLander909

Premium Member
Sep 20, 2008
sanborn, ia
Anyone ride up there this weekend? Got some guys thinking about heading out thursday night. Worth the trip? Any updates would be appreciated!

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
The storm ends Thursday, so it's really to be determined. It's rideable now but don't be mad if you loose an a arm. This storm has potential. Hopefully it dumps but it's thirty degrees at the bottom of the mountain currently.the majority of the storm is hitting cook if that helps, they are forcasted to get 2-3 feet

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Thanks Josh riding horns with great snow you can lose an a arm at any time there.

M

millnoff

Dec 5, 2007
Looking at possibly taking a trip out there next week just wondering how the snow conditions are?

Premium Features