• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Vented Oil Cap

M
Nov 27, 2007
Bend, OR
Does anyone know if running an oil reservoir cap from a REV on my '03 ZX will be a problem? The ZX cap is vented and I don't think the REV cap is.

I got a insert from a guy on DooTalk but the ZX cap doesn't get enough threads and pops off occasionally, the REV cap gets a couple of turns.

Thanks

Mike

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
I know my 06 Rev is a Son Of A Beech to get off. Besides feeling like it vacuum locked on it is right next to the pull start assembly. Not allowing to get a good grip. I use one of the sticky gripper doo dads for opening jar lids. Hard to believe it would be vented.:rolleyes:

R
Nov 23, 2001
Sterling, AK
I struggled with several doos and doo caps that leaked or would not thread on properly.

I tried the cap off my wifes polaris....fits perfect! Its also vented and never leaks. I buy poo caps for all my doos now. I seem to roll a lot (on accident and sometimes purpose when getting unstuck) and I've never have 1 leak since.

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
Tank or lid needs to be vented otherwise it will vaccum lock, wouldn't be able to pull oil otherwise. The reason they are so tight is that when riding, the caps are put on cold, don't form a tight seal, then you start riding and they heat up, expand a little, seal on, and then cool off and shrink, forming an even tighter seal. Use a good gasket on the bottom of the cap (make one if you have to) and only tighten the cap on enough to keep it from vibrating off, not wrench it down. This is only my theory but it seems to fit with the experience I have had, the caps and tanks are two different plastics and expand and shrink at different rates, which is why this happens. I think the caps expand and shrink more than the tanks, which are more stable. At least that's my theory anyway, and I made gaskets for mine, which seemed to help.

Then I just started premixing and removing the oil injection completely, so I don't have the problem anymore. :)

T

Trinity Taz

ACCOUNT CLOSED
If anyone is having issues with their Rev XP caps leaking, I have a fix available for next season that reinforces the weak threaded spout of the oil tank so the cap screws on tightly without stripping or cross threading.
(Cost should be about $20.00.)

My cap on my 03 rmk leaked from day one. This past fall I bought a rev cap from a local skidoo dealer. He told me that the doo tanks are vented so this cap has no vent? I drilled a 1/16 hole in the top and it works excellent, no leaks, no vacuum in the tank.

M
Nov 27, 2007
Bend, OR
I am concerned with the venting - the guy on DooTalk who makes the inserts says he runs a REV cap on his wifes ZX.

754bigbore - any particular area on the cap to drill?

Thanks,
Mike

B
Jun 9, 2002
MN
If your only problem in the ZX cap leaking from being upside down, etc. just get a Cat or Poo cap. They have a check ball in them to prevent leaks. The insert thingys are useless, unless your filler neck is distorted.

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
754bigbore - any particular area on the cap to drill?

Thanks,
Mike

You can drill straight down the middle or anywhere you like really, but I would be worried about tipping on its side or right over and oil leaking all over the place. Not that a 1/16th hole is very big, but still. If this is the route you're choosing, I would buy a one way check valve, drill a bigger hole and thread it into the cap or just buy a polaris cap.

M
Nov 27, 2007
Bend, OR
BU1 - The filler neck was fairly distorted. I think I'll go with adding a check valve to the REV cap, seeing as I'm already 13 bucks into it. Thanks NoSecondChances.

Mike

Premium Features