• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My running-board foot-loop injury: Who else has had their foot stuck in the footwell?

Have you had problems with your boots getting trapped in your Polaris ProRide or AXYS

• Total voters

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I think these are a good product, just not for me. These ankle savers block off the footwell and make it unusable unless you use the outer edge. I cant imagine that would be convenient or work nearly as well as just having the crossbar moved up. Your product would work for some though i am sure :)

I want to be able to put my foot into the footwell and use the crossbar to lift with my toe to initiate a turn sometimes. Everything about stock is perfect . . .EXCEPT. . the crossbar needs to be about 2" higher so the boot does not get trapped under it.

The Ankle Savers don't block off the footwell entirely. They actually make it usable without getting your boot caught (that's the reason for the kink in the middle of them). As stated in the above post, moving the crossbar up takes away the hooking effect that you want. The above pic shows the ankle saver pretty much straight down, but mine are mounted at about 30 degrees, so that I can still hook my boot. My dad runs his ankle savers at about 50 degrees but most I've seen from customers are in the 30 degree range. When you angle them up, you only loose about 2" of footwell depth and still have the boot hooking feature.

I think I need to do another video with them in action...

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Here's the best pic I have at the moment to show the angle of the Ankle Saver and how there's still some good boot hooking still there. First pic is for reference, so you know what you're looking at (my sled lawn darted in a ravine). Second pic is a closeup of the same pic.

ankle_01.jpg ankle_02.jpg

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Looks like a boot will slide right up the "ramp" when trying to hook a toe under the bar.

It does look like one might be able to hook a toe on the outer edger of the crossbar, but that seems a bit awkward and inconvenient to me.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Looks like a boot will slide right up the "ramp" when trying to hook a toe under the bar.

It does look like one might be able to hook a toe on the outer edger of the crossbar, but that seems a bit awkward and inconvenient to me.

I think they are going to work fine. I'll report on them this winter. It doesn't take much toe pressure to get the sled to react. Thanks tuneman.
Install what ever you like and save your foot and ankle. You can't ride while sitting on the couch with a boot and crutches.

idahosledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
FYI.
I moved mine up 1 1/2" and they are now so loose as to be useless for catching with a toe.........
My (size 13) klim dual boa boots tilt in the open space and the back and forth carve becomes off balance and jerky.....
Yeah I know it seems minor....BUT
I ride my brothers sled with stock hoops and it carves so sweet and smooth wish I hadn't made the change.......... FWIW.....

Continue on........

That's exactly what I am worried about; I like using them to carve a bit.
That said, after I broke off the bottom of my tibia in February I am willing to take a chance.
I am thinking of moving them up 1 to 1 and a half inches.
Ruined the best part of the season for me, had to get screwed back together.
What really sucked was that it was the second day of a 5 day trip with some out of state buddies.
And yes, I rode 3 more days on the stupid thing. I could still walk so I figured what the hell.
No brain no pain!

.mod_1455593287062.jpg 20160207_202307.jpg

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I agree. Moving them up does seem to be the best way to solve the problem, not blocking off the footwell. This should allow you to still use the top bar with your toe to carve. I am hoping for 1.5" to 2" higher if possible. Would be nice to be somewhat adjustable for thinner/thicker boots.

Good luck on the recovery. My broken ankle looked eerily similar to yours. It was a long road back to full use. Still dont have full range of motion to this day, but it doesn't affect hiking, weight lifting, hunting, running, participation in sports, dirtbike, dual sport, ATV, or snowmobiling riding. So i am VERY happy!! :)

idahosledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I am probably 90% or so healed up. It still aches once in awhile when I am overly active. I am a little nervous to see how it does this winter with the temperature and pressure changes.
Also, I have been told by a few friend to go ahead and get the screws removed but I cant decide. They don't bother me much right now, but I dont know how they will feel after wearing a riding boot all day. (I wear sandals as much as possible in the summers, absolutely hate shoes!)

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I am probably 90% or so healed up. It still aches once in awhile when I am overly active. I am a little nervous to see how it does this winter with the temperature and pressure changes.
Also, I have been told by a few friend to go ahead and get the screws removed but I cant decide. They don't bother me much right now, but I dont know how they will feel after wearing a riding boot all day. (I wear sandals as much as possible in the summers, absolutely hate shoes!)

I had all the plates and screws removed, except for one screw, in my tibia from a wreck some years back. That one screw informed me of coming weather changes for 5 years. When it was healed out they came.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Ended up getting all my screws removed counterclockwise - made the aches go away, was a bit unstable for a month but better in the winter coldness.....
Am ready for the B&M modification before the X-mas ride!!:eyebrows:

S/C

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Good enough for me!
Out they come as soon as I have time.

My Dr. told me the operation to remove the screws and plate in my ankle was about as big (translated . .expensive) as what it was to get them put in. That was $22k, so I will most likely leave the hardware in. Doesnt really give me any issues with the weather at all. Little stiff at times but for the most part does not affect leg workouts, running, dirtbiking, snowmobiling etc. at all. I feel VERY fortunate as i have been told most with my degree of injury have had to get their ankle fused. YIKES!

idahosledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Mine was nowhere near that bad, just two screws.
My doc says it should be no big deal to remove, wont even have to knock me out, and I should be able to walk on it right away.
If it were more intrusive like yours I wouldn't even consider it.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Mine was nowhere near that bad, just two screws.
My doc says it should be no big deal to remove, wont even have to knock me out, and I should be able to walk on it right away.
If it were more intrusive like yours I wouldn't even consider it.

I'll trade ya . . . :)

Yah, that's kind of the conclusion i came up with.

Hoping to see this new footloop mod soon :)

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Mine was $10K to remove- and as the weather got colder
(we has -30* F last winter) it was unbearable.. so good insurance and $2K out of my pocket it proved to work out great....
I think yours is a bit complex and hope the coldness doesn't give you the stiffy like it gave me ( Ankle Area.... LOL)

It's time for the B&M foot well mod to be released...... Drum roll please

Last edited:

idahosledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I'll trade ya . . . :)

Yah, that's kind of the conclusion i came up with.

Hoping to see this new footloop mod soon :)

I have a buddy that is a professional welder, and I happen to have a mill and lathe in the garage, should be an easy mod.
I just need to decide how far to move it.
Thinking just 1 inch. Once I get the sleds in the garage for the season I will decide for sure.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
My Dr. told me the operation to remove the screws and plate in my ankle was about as big (translated . .expensive) as what it was to get them put in. That was $22k, so I will most likely leave the hardware in. Doesnt really give me any issues with the weather at all. Little stiff at times but for the most part does not affect leg workouts, running, dirtbiking, snowmobiling etc. at all. I feel VERY fortunate as i have been told most with my degree of injury have had to get their ankle fused. YIKES!

Heck I could do it for free. All I ask is that you take me riding and cover my plane ticket. I'll provide my own cordless drill, a bottle of pain killers, and a hammer to knock you out, if you chose to be.

Really not that different from my normal job, just slightly softer materials are used.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Heck I could do it for free. All I ask is that you take me riding and cover my plane ticket. I'll provide my own cordless drill, a bottle of pain killers, and a hammer to knock you out, if you chose to be.

Really not that different from my normal job, just slightly softer materials are used.

Be nice and use a new bit in that drill- That way it wont strip the head coming out and end up backing it out the rest of the way with vise grips......Then the hammer will be necessary...LOL !

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho

one word comes to mind . . . OUCH!!!! :)

W
Sep 7, 2016
Jackman Maine
wow. I just logged onto this forum and was wondering if I wasn't the only one who got his foot locked into his footwell and dragged. I guess not. Fortunately, no injuries, but its easy to see why they will continue to happen. I like the B+M mod, and am probably going to go that route.

W
Sep 7, 2016
Jackman Maine
Mine was $10K to remove- and as the weather got colder
(we has -30* F last winter) it was unbearable.. so good insurance and $2K out of my pocket it proved to work out great....
I think yours is a bit complex and hope the coldness doesn't give you the stiffy like it gave me ( Ankle Area.... LOL)

It's time for the B&M foot well mod to be released...... Drum roll please

TTT. This thread has turned into just as much of an ortho ward thread. Really sorry you got hurt, I almost did twice last winter, second time I literally had to have my buddy lift me back up onto my sled before I could get my foot unstuck. :face-icon-small-con: :rofl: Bad design imo, and I still like tucking my feet in there when on trail, so the plate that limits that is out. I call B+M on Friday, and he said he hasn't gotten around to designing or making one yet. A little disappointed, with all the AXYS's that have been getting sold, I'm hoping someone comes out with one like now.

Premium Features