• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

When to upgrade?

J
Jan 1, 2008
Eastern Or.
When do you guys decide to upgrade sleds? I ride an 07 m8 153. I have put a PC on it, ported, reeds, airbox, y-pipe and can, 3" riser, mtn fit hood, two wheel kit, and gold finger. I really like my sled, it gets around pretty good. I was thinking of putting a pipe and fuel box on it but it has 1,600 miles on it so far, and it might get two more rides this year. I have never had a minutes trouble with this sled, except for some operator error involving a few trees. If I replace it I would ride mine the way it is till the end of Jan next year and then look at an O'10, when they come out with some incentives.

Is there a method to anybodies madness or do most of you just trade sleds when the next cool looking sled comes out every year? How many miles does a guy need before he starts to worry about little stuff ending rides, or a motor going.

D
Dec 31, 2007
n. idaho
my method ? ride it till something comes along that you cant live without, or till you start having problems. 1600 miles is not enough to worry about and the chassis hasnt changed enough if any since 07 so you would be throwing money away if you got a different sled now. someone will get on here and tell you that you need a new sled every year and need to put 5000 dollars worth of add ons to it . but i disagree

my .02

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I have a 07 m8 and well this next winter I'll be on a 10' m8. I have a little over 2,000 miles on it prolly by the end of the season I'll have 2600 miles on it. After I rode the 10 I knew I needed a new one. Get the 10 leave it stock and don't look back.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Don't trade, sell and find a good deal. I sold my 07 m1000 jan 6 for 5,900 and bought a 09 m1000 for 9,900. still a 4k difference but by selling I still saved 850 compared to trade in. But if your happy with it and it does what you need keep it. would recommend a tunnel conversion kit though.

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
no help here still riding the old mc kk 900 junk, still have a hard time with the new stuff. once you find something that work for ya keep it until you have a chance to ride the next new fit. i put on a over 2k a year on a sled so it's hard to just spin one that works.:eek:

S
Women's forum

From what I've seen on this forum your asking a bunch of women for advice on a rational question.

The women gather here to brag about and justify their purchases. Naturally a percentage are actually looking for real information but most are women talking about their hair.

Your sled is fine for many more years. With this economy the M Series won't be changing soon, today's product is here for some time. And this years changes are nothing really, just a bunch of marketing. The significant changes were last year with electronic reverse and the power claw.

I have 4000 miles on my 07 M8 and there is nothing on the market worth replacing it with unless I wanted a new hair style.

Goodnight ladies, happy BSing...

S

SLEDIOT

Nov 27, 2007
Dawson Creek BC
When it burns down. Go to a big bore first then buy a new back up sled also. That really pizzes the ol lady off!!!!!!!!!!!! I know this first hand................

vdo1948

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern South Dakota
Several answers to that for me.

1) When I can afford it. The older stuff works fine till then.
2) When I find a good used unit I want (refuse to buy new anymore).
3) When something is a significant upgrade. Currently riding an '05 M7 and '09 M was the first sled I thought was an upgrade from '05. Will now wait a year or two to find a good, used, reasonably priced '10 M8.

My $.02

J
Jan 1, 2008
Eastern Or.
well I think I'm leaning on riding mine and seeing how things go. I might look for a used 10' in the spring or later. Might as well save some $. Plus I would really like to get on a 10' to see how much different they are than mine. Power wise I'm thinking they would be a bit less than what I'm riding now, but I'm interested in the suspention, electric reverse, and the new seat.

D

Dano702

Dec 15, 2007
Sin City
I am going to be on an 07 for a long time . 800 + miles on boost so far , and no problems. I am going to see how long the crank will last , i am hoping for 5000 miles . I am planning on new slugs and reeds each season just to be safe .

My 8 is close enough to a new one . I might be looking at a Z1 for a back up sled . I bet one of those would be fun at 25 lbs.:D

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
I am going to be on an 07 for a long time . 800 + miles on boost so far , and no problems. I am going to see how long the crank will last , i am hoping for 5000 miles . I am planning on new slugs and reeds each season just to be safe .

My 8 is close enough to a new one . I might be looking at a Z1 for a back up sled . I bet one of those would be fun at 25 lbs.:D

How many miles on your 07 before you boosted it?

1MEX

Apr 19, 2008
915 to the 801
www.wr-products.com
I have a 07 m8 and well this next winter I'll be on a 10' m8. I have a little over 2,000 miles on it prolly by the end of the season I'll have 2600 miles on it. After I rode the 10 I knew I needed a new one. Get the 10 leave it stock and don't look back.

I'm going to wait and see how Chris's sled goes compared to my M7 and his M8.:D Hopefully I get to ride it ;)and then decide if its the right time to upgrade or like it was said on here, if I can afford it. Also it would have to be worth the differance in price compared to doing mods to mine. my .02

D

Dano702

Dec 15, 2007
Sin City
How many miles on your 07 before you boosted it?

It came out of the crate in Febuary 08 , it was bought just for a turbo. I put about 180 easy trail miles on in that year. The first two rides were at 3/4 throttle or less on groomed trails. I also let it warm up really well , i have been on 2 stroke bikes since the age of 8 . I understand the concept of cold seize.

It was torn down over the summer , and was on 12 lbs first ride this year. This 8 will be on boost untill the crank gives up .

This is a stress test platform, i wanted to see how long the engine would last on boost.

I didnt even want to ride it stock , now i love it.

J
Jan 1, 2008
Eastern Or.
Decided this weekend I'm going to keep playing with mine. If I get a new one I have to start all over. So the plan is for some shock and spring work this fall, maybe an 09 rear suspention conv, a SLP pipe, the new cat seat, lots more venting, some clutch work, and some egt and a/f gages. I'll ride it till I have a motor issue then build a 925 out of it. No sence in haveing to make payments on a new sled and pay for mods, may as well keep the paid for sled and keep playing with it...right?:D

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Decided this weekend I'm going to keep playing with mine. If I get a new one I have to start all over. So the plan is for some shock and spring work this fall, maybe an 09 rear suspention conv, a SLP pipe, the new cat seat, lots more venting, some clutch work, and some egt and a/f gages. I'll ride it till I have a motor issue then build a 925 out of it. No sence in haveing to make payments on a new sled and pay for mods, may as well keep the paid for sled and keep playing with it...right?:D

agreed, i'm still running my 06 m7 and have no intentions on getting rid of it anytime soon. i just upgrade a few things here and there as time goes by, like over the last few years i ended up with all the stuff in my sig line and its made it more fun, and for next season im planning an 09 style bumper and the '10 seat. it might not be the most powerfull machine on the hill but its got enough i can have fun with it and best of all its paid for. besides that i haven't seen any of the new stuff do anything remarkably better than mine. well, enough to justify more debt anyways. well.........except maybe the reverse part, but i've never had a sled with reverse so i've learned to avoid situations where i'd need it so no biggy.

Premium Features