• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Did we make a mistake?

R
Dec 3, 2001
SD
Bought a Polaris Ranger today. Like it so far. How many here have them?

Still contemplating putting tracks on it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1010028.jpg
    P1010028.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 578
L
Jan 29, 2009
Rapid City, SD
My boss has one of the older versions. I get to drive it around the gravel pit when we're hauling. Makes a great "get around" vehicle that helps haul people to and from equipment. Love the reliability and the second seat vs a normal wheeler. I have only had it in mud, nothing else, and it handles mud very well. Looks like a great purchase! :D:beer;

cek

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2003
Yakima, WA
Tracks

Bought a Polaris Ranger today. Like it so far. How many here have them?

Still contemplating putting tracks on it.

attachment.php

Tracks are fun. There are a few guys around here that have them. MY dad has an older ranger with tracks and it gets around really well. Great utility rig just not much performance. you will love the power steering. I have a Kawasaki Teryx with tracks and love it. I just had a full top made for it but now it's very loud inside. I'm trying to figure that out now.

R
Dec 3, 2001
SD
Hahahaha, we disproved the salesman and several other people's theories that it will go through anything we need it to today. Had it stuck twice. Our feedlots are a slight different environment than most think of. We keep offering for the hardcore offroaders to come out and test their four wheelers but they always decline.

This one performs plenty well. It will go 50 mph and whip cookies in the gravel.

How will tracks affect it's speed? Turning ability? I found a used Polaris set with 100 miles for $2400.

G
Dec 19, 2007
Surrounded by Dumbacrat's
Hahahaha, we disproved the salesman and several other people's theories that it will go through anything we need it to today. Had it stuck twice. Our feedlots are a slight different environment than most think of. We keep offering for the hardcore offroaders to come out and test their four wheelers but they always decline.

This one performs plenty well. It will go 50 mph and whip cookies in the gravel.

How will tracks affect it's speed? Turning ability? I found a used Polaris set with 100 miles for $2400.

Stuck twice? Your feed lots must be something to see. Drop the tire pressure to 3 psi & it will claw through much more. Even with the 589's on mine @ 6 psi it will dig like crazy, @ 3 psi it will push mud or snow with the bumper & keep movin.
Sounds like a good deal on the tracks!

L
Jan 29, 2009
Rapid City, SD
Stuck twice? Your feed lots must be something to see. Drop the tire pressure to 3 psi & it will claw through much more. Even with the 589's on mine @ 6 psi it will dig like crazy, @ 3 psi it will push mud or snow with the bumper & keep movin.
Sounds like a good deal on the tracks!

Exactly. When the pit gets wet, we let some air out and the Ranger will pull through almost everything. Managed to get it stuck yesterday! Luckily the loader was parked a few feet away, made an awful nice winch post.

Never tried the tracks, but from what I've seen, that's a good deal!

B

buck50

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Cochrane, Alberta

generally lose about %10 of your top end speed! and really no difference on the turning

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
From what I have heard you do lose quite abit of top speed but they do go like crazy:eek:

G
Dec 8, 2007
i'm not sure if polaris has changed their track set up or not but i would recommend going with a set of matt tracks. the matt tracks use bogies while the polaris also do but the polaris tracks have hifax in them and i think i was told they are not really meant for use during the summer...just my .02

cek

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2003
Yakima, WA
i'm not sure if polaris has changed their track set up or not but i would recommend going with a set of matt tracks. the matt tracks use bogies while the polaris also do but the polaris tracks have hifax in them and i think i was told they are not really meant for use during the summer...just my .02

The new tracks are quite a bit better that the last few years. Mattracks used to be the best for year round but now there are a few other options. I have the Camoplast Tatou 4s on mine that they work awsome. You can use them year round. I lost about 20% of my top end speed but it will still do about 40 mph on flat ground. Lost of fun on those not so fun snomobile days. There are about 6 of us here that have tracks and it's a blast.

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 68
S

sledcrazy55

Jan 24, 2008
harlowton (gods country)
unstoppable

I have one here on the ranch that i use ever day. Getting ready to trade it off on a new HD i hope. I have been around most of the brands and Polaris does make the fastest, smoothest, best towing and hauling UTV on the market IMO. In two years we have put about 7000 miles on it. It is unstoppable. I have had the Tundra Buggy as I call it in alot of stupid places and never tipped or wrecked it. It will go places that it shouldnt. Have brought a couple of grown men to tears taking it places and they wont ride wit me anymore.:eek: Have also had it in between 1 and 2 foot of snow, water halfway up my schinns crossing flooding creeks, and in swamps where I was dragging everything below the floorboard and gone right through. I have gotten it stuck a few times but that is why a Warn winch is worth its weight in gold. Wouldnt own one without it. It has been put to the test time and time again and has always passed. I will never not own one again as long as i am in this buisness. They are a great coyote chaser too.:D The only recomendations I have are first put a screen in front of the radiator to protect from grass seeds because it will overheat, and depending on how rough the terrain is get some 6 ply tires for it. Carlisle makes a damn good tire that we use. All in all you are going to love your new toy. Just remember to drive it like ya stole it.

Attachments

• P6160378.jpg
    P6160378.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Premium Features