• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

11 M8 vs 12 proclimb 800 for beginner

S

snowcannon

Aug 20, 2015
Shuswap, BC
Not sure if this topic has been discussed already but here we go: I'm trying to help somebody buy their first mountain sled coming from a 09 dragon switchback. Basically it's choosing between a 11 m8 sno pro or a 12 proclimb 800. The prices are very close.

Here are two ads from kijiji:

2011 arctic cat m8 H.O. sno pro 162" track

full of fuel and oil ready to rip!
Greased every second ride
Stored in side
Great shape!
Has reverse
No rips or tears in track or seat
Diamond drive recently serviced with updated bearing
Some clutching has been done including brand new 2014 primary clutch
Has larger air intake
Extras are tether cord, gas rack,lo pro windshield, knee pads, hot air gauge vent headlight covers if you want, shock pump etc
1807 miles
$7500obo. Reduced to $6499
Will throw in cover, spare belt, stock exhaust, brand new sliders

vs

2012 m8 for sale has 153 inch track, Mbrp can, team industries secondary clutch' new belt, two jugs of oil, new clutch guard in box , cover , goggle bag , mo flow vent kit,has just over 1800 Km $7000 no trades

Which one would you recommend to a new mountain rider? The best year of the m series or the first year of the proclimb?

Riding and purchasing area is from Kelowna up to Sicamous and yes, we are talking cad currency.
Thanks guys :)

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Keep looking man, I just sold a 2015 with 650 miles for 7400.

A friend has a 11 m8 162 clean, 3800 miles new clutches, pistons, runs great for 4500.

Chit I sold my 12 for 6900 2 years ago with mods that would beat them both.

Find a better deal and come back.

Tell him I got a barely used 15 pro for 9k

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
The add for the 12 May as well read " new team clutch, new belt, 10 shredded belts, new clutch cover, mangled clutch cover still installed for free!"
The upside is maybe it's not a belt blower any more. The downside....
But $5k us for a nice low mile M800 is a decent price.

S

snowcannon

Aug 20, 2015
Shuswap, BC
WyoBoy, 9k US equals 11800CAD. Plus some kind of import tax/fee at the border and it will end up being close to 15k.
It's unfortunate but it is what it is.
Also bear in mind guys, all the safety equipment such as beacon, shovel, probe and a pack need to be purchased as well.
My recommendation to the guy was to consider buying older, but reliable. Get a few seasons under the belt and then invest into a nice/newer sled. But I am a flatlander, hence why I am asking for your guy's input.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I'd lean toward the 2011 too. When I was riding a 2011 M8 stock back to back with a stock 2012, I didn't feel like the 12 was any better other than the ride in the rough was smoother. The balance point is wider on the 2011, it does everything well, and it is pretty solid so the newer guy will likely have less problems with it.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
So usd is about 5200 vs cad 7000
That makes a difference, didn't realize that at first.

So the chances of a newbie blowing belts is much lower and I know the fix, so that's not something I would worry about.
Just don't pun it on the trail.
The 12 is a much better chassis to learn on but had its limits. Unless you narrow the boards and add steering.

I would get the 12,

Free mods you would want to do
drop the skid to the 13 location, move the tie rods in about 1.25" to increase steering

Possibly sell the secondary and run the stock one, or get the fix done to the stock one.

Then as he learns add narrow boards and steering, by then it will be easy.

The PC chassis is so much better for rider control.

racert17

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2008
kelowna bc
i just picked up a mint 2011 m8 sno pro 153, 1500 miles, sled looks like it just rolled off the showroom, 1 owner, a lady...$4100 cdn.
He's asking WAY too much!

B

Brutus

Nov 14, 2008
Helena MT
I'd put him on the PC and let him learn that chasis. Also like that it's a 153 vs the 162. The PC in that track is much more "flickable". Lol I effen hate that word. But that sled is much lighter than the 11 162 which would prob be easier to learn on for him and easier to roll around a dig out for dads. Trust me my kid has had 3 m sleds all 162s. Now he's on a 14 PC 153 and just loves it.

Which one does jr like better? ... :face-icon-small-ton

Both good sleds no doubt. The m series is in the sled head hall of fame for sure, which is where I'd leave it. Best of luck

Bru

j.janke

Lifetime Membership
Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton Alberta
I too grew up from riding a 1981 Jag 440, to an 09 Crossfire 500 141", to a 2011 M6 153" and now im on a 2014 proclimb 800 153". Every sled that i have moved up to has allowed me to be a better rider because of it. I love the ride of the proclimb and i believe it is a much easier sled to control. Takes way less input to get over than an m series. Although like Brutus said, the M Series will for sure go down in history as one of the longest reigns of "the best mountain sled". It was definaltey proven, but even with some of the issues that the proclimbs have/had i would still go with that to make his learning experience better. They just give that much more confidence to any rider. If you could find a 13 or a 14 i would reccomend that before a 12, but like WYO said, make the slight changes that are free and then go from there.

When it comes down to it though, i think we would all agree that we would rather have the old M series over having nothing at all.

I know where youre coming from with the CAD dollar though, im running into that issue left and right. I got my 14 limited for 10K last summer with 140km on it. Thats about 7K USD right now. Not a bad deal at all for what it is though.

Premium Features