• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker or Silber

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
You mean the Vohk Boondocker sleds ridden by Chris Burandt also need to be tuned......say it isn't so:face-icon-small-sho

Pay special attention to 2:10 and 3:10. Now am I ignorant like edavis and sledhead and proclaim this somehow represents all of all Vohk tuned Boondocker kits or do I think he was just getting it dialed in. Yep...just getting it dialed in and I'm sure it's spot on now :face-icon-small-coo

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=heC4Rp54Ya0
So early in the year to be getting defensive.. Maybe you misunderstood what I was saying.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Wow, at 3;20 this is the exact situation that can easily be life threatening. Getting caught in an avy and you need to get out fast, but then............blaaaaaaaahhhhh,blaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh.
Then your sled gets totalled cuz it wraps around a tree. This vid the sled was lucky it didn't get too damaged.
I have brought this situation up with a few different aftermarket turbo kit suppliers and they make it sound like it will never happen or they ignore the scenario. I don't they give a rats *** about safety.
I'm thinking a good majority are in it for the quick buck and don't understand the places that their own Turbo kits will put people in.
Do they think that guys will sit on a nice flat trail and not ride a Turbo to its fullest?
Back to question of Boonie or Silber. I have only seen boon docker Turbos on the hill and not one has worked flawlessly. Burpin, fartin, the blaaaaaahs. Guys pushing their fuel box buttons to no avail. Guys yelling' loud at their 10k turbo.
Come to think of it, I did see a silber and it worked well. It spanked my butt.
That is what I saw so I have no recommendation.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
hey phatty
real question on your top 3 turbo kit Boondocker , MNTK and Silber picks

are you talking about base line kits or top shelf all the bells ?

you,ve probably moved on this thread has gotten a bit funny :face-icon-small-con
thanks

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
You mean the Vohk Boondocker sleds ridden by Chris Burandt also need to be tuned......say it isn't so:face-icon-small-sho

Pay special attention to 2:10 and 3:10. Now am I ignorant like edavis and sledhead and proclaim this somehow represents all of all Vohk tuned Boondocker kits or do I think he was just getting it dialed in. Yep...just getting it dialed in and I'm sure it's spot on now :face-icon-small-coo

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=heC4Rp54Ya0

Must not have been a boondocker kit? They ALWAYS run flawless :face-icon-small-dis

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
hey phatty
real question on your top 3 turbo kit Boondocker , MNTK and Silber picks

are you talking about base line kits or top shelf all the bells ?

you,ve probably moved on this thread has gotten a bit funny :face-icon-small-con
thanks

one should make very wise choices on what components they actually need in a kit and what is just "fluff". Often buying the most expensive kits and components is not going to fit best to YOUR riding style. Look no further than the USA government to see that throwing more money at a problem isn't necessarily the answer.

If I know I want to go ride trees and creek bottoms, I probably don't need a kit running over 8lbs boost and I want it simple with as little lag as possible on the bottom.
If I know I want to scale mountains and climb chutes, I probably want a kit that can run 12+lbs boost all day and may have to get better fuel and components (larger injectors, etc).
If you know you want to turn up the boost sometimes you will probably want to get a kit with a controller that allows that... etc, etc.

My riding style is the nasty creek bottoms and tight trees. I want a quick spooling turbo, clutched to engage a little higher RPM and not have as much on top. I need solid performance through the mid with enough grunt to turn around and climb up and out of any ravine I may find myself in. And it has to allow for smooth in/out of the throttle as terrain dictates how much throttle I need. I have no need for water/air intercooler, its pomp and fluff for my needs. Sure I will have higher intake temps, but I am not WFO for 3 minutes trying to climb a chute so I will take the little performance ding, I don't need external air intake because tree branches catch that pod too often so I want a kit that utilizes stock air intake, etc, etc. Informed decisions as to what I really need and what is just wasting money. :face-icon-small-hap

From my own expierence around the 3 turbo manufacturers, I listed them in the order that suites MY needs and my local dealer support, not necessarily the costs of the kits. I suggest you evaluate why and what you want your turbo to do, then talk with each manufacturer (or your local shop that installs them) on the kit options that will best fill your needs. Hopefully your local dealer will listen to you and not try and up sell you on components you don't need, and being an informed customer will help with that. This forum, does have good information, sucks sometimes you have to wade through the BS to find it, but read up, ask questions if you need to, be prepared when you go to purchase. The dealer also better go out riding with you the first ride and make sure the kit you bought is dialed to your wants. You should get that kind of service for 5k.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Those clips are interesting to me because they're real world and seldom seen. Looked like it was out of the clear blue too because it sounded crisp heading into the bog. First one sounded like the engine got too much fuel but I'm not a turbo guy so not really sure...

E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
Yea....He was tuning in his sled with the dobeck......Great example:face-icon-small-dis

Whats wrong with Dobek all the sudden? 2yrs ago you guys had the best running kit on the market according to Silber's website and your mouth and that was running the dobek.

I never said sleds don't need to be tuned out of the box, each sled is different. I simply posted that video as a remark to his comment on the bog. The bulldog wasn't the world changing fuel controller either, I heard a story about Justin up in Tog and was asking for some help trying to get it to work from a very reputable tuner. Not to mention the pissing and mooning from ppl last year on how bad the bog was and how they waited half the season for a fix. I think one of them who was your buddy back in Nebraska was talking chit behind your back because you couldn't promised what you said.

I was trying to keep it fun and light hearted and not get into a personal pissing match Corey, but you seemed to be butt hurt about a video that has no personal reflection on you.

Keep it classy, youre suppose to be a Silber Dealer and posting a stupid comment online is a direct reflection on your personality and business.:face-icon-small-win

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
No, Eric, he's simply showing an example. You can continue to bash Justin, but at least he's pushing the entire industry. There were a bunch of us that had a great experience with our Silber kits with Bullydog last year and they are going to be even better this year with the addition of the oil less option and new wastegate. I don't know anybody that puts more into trying to make sure we have the best experience than Corey.

E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
No, Eric, he's simply showing an example. You can continue to bash Justin, but at least he's pushing the entire industry. There were a bunch of us that had a great experience with our Silber kits with Bullydog last year and they are going to be even better this year with the addition of the oil less option and new wastegate. I don't know anybody that puts more into trying to make sure we have the best experience than Corey.

David, Im glad you had good luck with your kit. I hope to see you on the hill this year, your pictures show your riding ability and I would love to see you in action

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Im really suprised CB didnt just deleted that footage as soon as they yanked it off his go pro. let alone put it on some major youtube videos.

Got to love a good goat. the pro seems to do it better then any other sled. I giggle every time i hear one, no matter whos sled its on.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I don't think he ever said anything about anything being wrong with dobeck... just the fact that the user has the ability to change the way the sled runs, its just completely different than what Silber is using now.

Lets all cool down a bit.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
WH-What's a goat?

My take on Boston Racings' comment was that he was being sarcastic in a light hearted way. I think he was saying that sometime, somewhere, ALL turbos need to be tuned, even the pros sleds don't work flawlessly all the time. it doesn't matter what manufacturer you are. I think it's great that one turbo company asked another turbo company for advice. Im sure they both shared info between each other. I've had a head mechanic, while I was on the mountain, from a sled shop ask what my fuel settings and suspension setups were on my turbo. Mind you, he was a bit sheepish about it but i really don't care he asked, actually, it took some nuts to ask and I did not ever tell anyone he asked about my setup nor did I ever say the shop name.
I'm thinking each person has a different definition of a turbo that runs flawlessly.
A bit off topic but I get a kick out of the comments-My sled is truly pull and go, ran flawless all year long(yep, all 4 rides in 2014 which was a bad snow year!), no problems whatsoever except for a small burble that I need to tune out. I'm rambling. Hope you choose the right turbo for you.
The biggest issues on a turbo are 1. Fuelling, 2. Clutching 3. Suspension. I think both Boonie and Silber are quality kits so I suggest to pick one that has a rep that rides in your area and can help you get setup for your type of riding.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
WH-What's a goat?

That spectacular sound of a pro just laying over and not revving up. They seem to do it worse then any other brand of 2 stroke when boosted. It sounds like a bleeting goat.

If you have been around turbo pros much before.... im sure you have heard some stellar goating.

I

inspector01

Mar 21, 2013
MN
A bit off topic but I get a kick out of the comments-My sled is truly pull and go, ran flawless all year long(yep, all 4 rides in 2014 which was a bad snow year!), no problems whatsoever except for a small burble that I need to tune out. I'm rambling.

It's even better when its got a blown engine and they say "Ran perfectly until it blew up"

E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
WH-What's a goat?

My take on Boston Racings' comment was that he was being sarcastic in a light hearted way. I think he was saying that sometime, somewhere, ALL turbos need to be tuned, even the pros sleds don't work flawlessly all the time. it doesn't matter what manufacturer you are. I think it's great that one turbo company asked another turbo company for advice. Im sure they both shared info between each other. I've had a head mechanic, while I was on the mountain, from a sled shop ask what my fuel settings and suspension setups were on my turbo. Mind you, he was a bit sheepish about it but i really don't care he asked, actually, it took some nuts to ask and I did not ever tell anyone he asked about my setup nor did I ever say the shop name.
I'm thinking each person has a different definition of a turbo that runs flawlessly.
A bit off topic but I get a kick out of the comments-My sled is truly pull and go, ran flawless all year long(yep, all 4 rides in 2014 which was a bad snow year!), no problems whatsoever except for a small burble that I need to tune out. I'm rambling. Hope you choose the right turbo for you.
The biggest issues on a turbo are 1. Fuelling, 2. Clutching 3. Suspension. I think both Boonie and Silber are quality kits so I suggest to pick one that has a rep that rides in your area and can help you get setup for your type of riding.

Yea, my 1300 miles was pretty good for only touching the box once all year. Guess I have to admit it wasn't perfect for over the 50 days I rode last year. but at least I rode those days and wasn't waiting for "tune" to come out by mid March...:face-icon-small-con

I don't think you guys are getting the point of why I like boondocker, VOHK doesn't have much to do with it. They simply install the kits, do some minor clutching out of the box and tune it on the mountain. I don't think they are sprinkling magic pixy dust and making them run better. It comes down to the quality of components, service, R&D, experience...

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I don't think you guys are getting the point of why I like boondocker, VOHK doesn't have much to do with it. They simply install the kits, do some minor clutching out of the box and tune it on the mountain. I don't think they are sprinkling magic pixy dust and making them run better. It comes down to the quality of components, service, R&D, experience...

That is definitely magic pixie dust to most guys.

Say both riders buy X brand kit, same sled, etc.

**Rider A

-Springs the $500 or whatever for install and test ride by turbo company or local shop.
-enjoys his season, maybe has a hiccup or two, has dealer support if issues are encountered.

**Rider B

-Thinks there is no reason why a professional should have to install kit. And the kit is $6k... should just work
-misses a few details on install but it all goes together.
-small hiccups in base tune turn to big ones as he tries to tune a system he doesn't understand.
-asks for help on the internet and gets a slew of random responses pointing him in 100 directions
-continues to fiddle **** with sled and gets it working fairly well
-ultimately sells the sled and gives everyone who rode with him a bad opinion about the kit.

Don't be rider B. DO NOT LET YOUR PRIDE BLIND YOU. These things are complicated. Although new kits work very well from all brands, they are an intricate system. They make a lot of power out of a tiny motor held WOT all day and left in a trailer cold and wet. Problems happen. Be prepared to learn, or be prepared to pay, or both if learning doesn't pan out!

happy boosting guys.!:smow:

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Emavis-
You ride like a pu**y tho. That fact is proven by the fact that you averaged 26 miles each of your 50 rides last year. What is that, 13 miles in on the trail and 13 out? Bahahahahahaha.
Your the guy sitting at the bottom of the hill and never rides even close to your sleds potential. I think you sit at the side of trail and drink beer and admire your trailer queen of a sled while stroking off to the fact that you have no scratches on your beautiful shiny sled!

Last edited:
E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
Emavis-
You ride like a pu**y tho. That fact is proven by the fact that you averaged 26 miles each of your 50 rides last year. What is that, 13 miles in on the trail and 13 out? Bahahahahahaha.
Your the guy sitting at the bottom of the hill and never rides even close to your sleds potential. I think you sit at the side of trail and drink beer and admire your trailer queen of a sled while stroking off to the fact that you have no scratches on your beautiful shiny sled!

Yep...you know me all to well...just sitting on the trail with Chris...drinkin a beer:face-icon-small-con

IMG_0146.JPG IMG_0147.JPG IMG_0148.JPG IMG_0149.JPG photo.JPG

Last edited:

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Just below the splooge spots on your bumper I believe you have intact stickers on your bellypan. Clearly a trailer queen.
Heehee.
You have a good sense of humour. I'm just teasing ya a tad as I'm a bit giddy this fine friday.
I was waiting to see if we would get in a big ol' internet fight. But we didn't. Let's hug it out.

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
I think you where right. He did not even care to pull in the scrathers when he pulled of the trail to make a picture in the "trees".
You guys are funny:)

Premium Features