• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo and 3 inch track clutching

B
Jan 10, 2013
Edmonton Alberta
Hi guys I got a 13 silber pro and run between 8 and 10 psi of boost. I'm looking at putting a 3 inch track on it (163). I'm wondering what kind if clutching adjustments will need to be done if any?

Cheers.

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
You will probably have to lighten up the weights a bit. Skibreeze put one on his last year and the standard clutching seems to work well with it.

B
Jan 10, 2013
Edmonton Alberta
Any idea of how much I will have to remove. Had issues nailing clutching last year and would rather not have to guess and try again this year since sledding is a 6 hour drive away for me

Thanks

B
Jan 10, 2013
Edmonton Alberta
Awesome thanks. I wonder were he rides. I ride BC canada. Wonder if he is in roughly the same elevation. I know your a silber dealer, what's the average life expectancy on a turbo on a sled as well as the oil pump? Debating doing a new centre section.

Cheers

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
What changes did you make to your clutching last year?
If you share what you did last year it will help others steer you in the right direction without overlapping or duplicating changes.
Remember though, each rider rides different, each sled is different and there are very few combos that work for everyone.
What is your riding style and elevation?

B
Jan 10, 2013
Edmonton Alberta
Last season I was only spooning around 7800 rmp. I clutched down about 3 grams off each weight but didn't get a chance to head back to the mountains to try the new weights. My riding style is mostly boondocking but I do do climbs as well. Elevations varies from 3000' to say 7000'.

Thanks

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Good info.
There is gonna be a bit of a learning curve with clutching for your sled so be prepared to wrench a bit on the hill. There's just no way around it because you will have to make adjustments one at a time and each change will hopefully get you closer to where you want to be.
In a nutshell, here's what I think is happening. Your weight may be too heavy in the primary and in addition, the secondary is opening up too fast which will cause terrible back shifting and tremendous belt and clutch heat.
I recommend to stick with just the weight change on your next trip out. See what the Rpm's are. After a long climb open the side panel and touch the faces of both clutches. Whatever clutch is the hottest, that is the one you will want to work on next.
Clean your clutches before you go and practice taking apart your secondary. You will need to do some spring changes on the hill.
After your rpms are in the 8100-8250 range, start working on your secondary by changing to a stiffer spring. Buy 2 different stiffer springs before you go. The stiffer spring will allow your sled to stay in low gear longer as this is what you want for boondocking.
It's near impossible to tune clutches perfect for all conditions so you will have to settle for a somewhat all around setup.
Good luck!

Premium Features