• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ignition System Upgrade Ideas

Kenny B

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2008
Corner Brook, Newfoundland
Hey guy's, been awhile since I posted anything on the forums, work has kept me pretty busy, only got 14kms on the sled last yr.... Yeah sucked.... :face-icon-small-fro

Anyway, on to the task at hand, I'm looking at ways of upgrading the ignition system on the sled, here is a list of the specs

2012 Assault 800 - Terra Alps Billet Turbo heads and thermostat kit
Boondocker turbo, Inlet pipe, Exhaust(2860)
Silber->Boost-it Modded Water to Air intercooler
Silber Billet throttlebody boot with boondocker injectors installed. Massaged front cooler to fit it in.... A hammer can be a friend. :)
Vipec Ecu
Aeromotive fuel pump
Lightweight battery to keep up with the current demands

Heres the issue, I run at sealevel, the sled gets pure 116, boost set at 11ish psi(thats the highest I seen in the datalog) then the sled falls on its face.... Runs hard for about 5-10 seconds.... It isn't rich or lean, hauls the mail till it dies, passed life experience tells me she is blowing out the plugs, which are gapped to .18 thou.

So to the question, has anyone changed the coils out for something better, and if so which did you use and why?

Here are a few pics of what I got on the go. :)

G
Apr 23, 2008
Ken, your not blowing out the spark my friend.
My guys and myself run well past 25 psi and dont blow out spark.
I would bet dollars to donuts your pushing the pipe off the Y and loosing turbo drive pressure. but there are a few other things that can cause this to happen with the aftermarket ecu. most noteably the voltage drop from your fuel pump.

another issue you MIGHT be seeing is the fuel pump, aeromotive ( I use them also ) will shut down . in those rare cases we swapped out the pump and fixed the issue. seemed frustrating as it would re start and run . the data log never showed the fuel pressure dropping but that is normal.

when data is averaged for display often we loose the finite information .
Its a tough deal but it happens.

One other area to check is drive pressure, the 28 series at sealevel shows 5 psi over boost at just 14 psi intake pressure, on our drag 800 at 27 psi we have 9 psi over in the pipe. weve swapped to a 3076 and dropped it to 4 psi over at 28 intake psi. now she really hauls tha back half of 660 feet !!!

when winter comes you should take the ride and meet me in madawaska !!!

Last edited:

Kenny B

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2008
Hey Gus, thanks so much for the response, you know, in the back of my mind I was thinking she might be separating the pipe.... I had two data logs that showed a spike in AFR(Rich) just before it would die I actually have been thinking of making up acouple of plates up and using six spring bolts to hold the pipe(Y-Pipe) and pipe to turbo inlet together. I seen a company that made up that type of clamp for a M8 but never came across anything for the Pro ... :tsk:

On the fuel pump issue.... I have been serious contempating ditching the aeromotive, even with the battery, the current demands seem high..... I'm ditching the oil pump in favor of a KPA Oiless turbo, going to trim off anything that isn't absolutely needed. I was thinking of just picking up a original fuel pump and a fuel pressure reg (1:1) and seeing how that holds up. What pump are you running with success, other then the aeromotive.

I was thinking of going with a larger AR on the exhaust turbine to try to drop the pipe pressure abit, which goes back to the clamps for the exhaust, and the fact that I split the stock Y-pipe a while back, two seasons ago. The dynoport unit is holding up well. You answered my spark question thou. :) Your the man.

I might have to take you up on that offer for a rip, I got a bunch of friends in NB that want me to drop over, I should have been in moncton for the Atlantic Nationals, but duty called on the rigg.... :face-icon-small-dis
Are you in the moncton area?

G
Apr 23, 2008
No. I'm in nh. USA but get up to Madawaska to ride the grand falls nb. system
Stock pump is ok for 300 hp but more than that. About 14 psi with a 2871. Maybe take 16 psi with the 2860.
I use 3076 for sea level. Snappy response and huge legs. Better in trail piston temps with no need to pull timing or flood with fuel to.cover up for a tight turbo

Fwiw I have brand.new turbos all ceramic ball bearings in 2871 , 3071 , 3076 and 3582. In stock and. 995 each $ with a full yr warranty. P'ms don't work. 603 401 8897 cell.

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Have you checked the pipe, under the wrap, for a seam split? I don't know what your stinger size happens to be. On a stock pipe, a stinger upsize to 2" will drop pipe pressure to 4# over boost.

Kenny B

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2008
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. :)

@ Gus, I might up size the turbo, I have a 2871 on the shelf, but I might take you up on one of them 3076's. :) But I got to get Indy Dan squared away before I make any more big purchases thou...

@ TRS, The pipe was brandty new last winter, only got 14kms on it. It is a stock pipe, but I have talking with Dynoport and he is willing to fab up a custom pipe for me, one with a larger stinger. :) Just going to wait on it till Dan is done his work and what not. :) The one in the pics is jut a '13 RMk Stocker Ceramic coated. Had it kicking around from a IQR CFi800 Turbo we built last yr., the old one looked shabby....
Well, back to work, shut downs suck..... :yield:

Last edited:
V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. :)

@ Gus, I might up size the turbo, I have a 2871 on the shelf, but I might take you up on one of them 3076's. :) But I got to get Indy Dan squared away before I make any more big purchases thou...

@ TRS, The pipe was brandty new last winter, only got 14kms on it. It is a stock pipe, but I have talking with Dynoport and he is willing to fab up a custom pipe for me, one with a larger stinger. :) Just going to wait on it till Dan is done his work and what not. :) The one in the pics is jut a '13 RMk Stocker Ceramic coated. Had it kicking around from a IQR CFi800 Turbo we built last yr., the old one looked shabby....
Well, back to work, shut downs suck..... :yield:

Hi Kenny B, long time no talk!!! if you have some datalogs of the sled cutting out on you, please send them to me(.llg) by email and we will check into it and let you know if we find something. I would highly suggest using oem fuel pump with a 1:1 fpr (good for 20psi boost) as using a higher voltage aftermarket pump can damage the ECU We have seen a few ECUs that had the flywheeling diodes on the fuel pump driver failed. The cause of a failure of these diodes are the use of a high current fuel pump where switching off the pump causes a large amount of energy to be recirculated in the diodes, damaging them.... or powering backward.

Thanks.

Last edited:

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
What egts are you seeing?
What AFR?
Check donuts and boost leaks. Just pump the motor and pipe up to 20 psi. Any leak bad news.

Is your turbo a .86 ar?

I don't see a bov but if you have one you will have to put a bigger spring in it.

What waste gate accuator you running?

Does the sled come back alive and stay running with less throttle?

What is you pipe pressure on full boost?

Need a 1-1 for very bad!

Check fuel filter.

What fuel pressure you see when sled falls on its face?

Just some questions I can see. I can also look at logs if needed. Thanks :face-icon-small-ton

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Hey Kenny, if you are blowing the Y off the pipe, then Fastrax has a flexible collector that they build that gets rid of the springs and comes with flanges that bolt together. It's the real deal especially for higher boost applications and/or donut issues.

I have no affiliation with them whatsoever.

Premium Features