• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KPA Turbo Review

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
So i just thought id give some info regarding my experience with kpa 2860 cast wheel used in my silber bullydog kit last season with the update tune istalled around 450 miles.
At 550 miles I started experienceing hesitation in throttle response so i was checking things out. I found the turbo oil was looking slightly mettalic through the sight glass. Measured axial play on the turbo shaft and it was. 007". Near double what these come with. I had a trip planned in 3 days. I spoke to Burt at kpa. He said, well i cant get you a turbo to canada that quick and if I want to run it and see what happens he would warrant the housings too if they became damaged. So i flushed the oil tank and turbo with diesel fuel and then new oil.
I ran the sled for the trip rechecked the turbo throught and after and it never got any worse. Worked awesome all weekend. Got home still. 007". So i ran it the rest of the season. Put on another 400 miles. I ran the turbo at 10-12psi between 5000-7000 feet on ave and premium mixed. Still. 007". Sent the turbo to kpa this summer. They said the thrust plate was worn causing the axial play and eveyrhing else was good.
Im assuming the bearing was damaged from silbers bullydog tunes in the beginning which had lots of bogs and pops. Which is way better now with the updated tune.

Anyways the point is i cant believe the kpa turbo stayed together even after damage was done. Any other turbo ive had in the past that had wear basically self destructed before i could get out of the mountains the day it started.

N

N.A84

Nov 19, 2012
norway
Cant wait to test my kpa 2873, going to get myself a indy dan LR engine to. Haven`t heard anything bad about kpa so far either.

Premium Features