• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

clutching help 2010 nytro 162 180 hp supercharger

R
Feb 20, 2008
ok guys i just installed the 180 hp kit from mountain perforamce, I rode for the first time yesterday and im in need of some clutch help. Currently installed in primary is blue/green/blue spring stock weights with 17.2 rivets in every hole,(this is what was recommended) new 14.5 rollers. The sled would start out good but half way thru the power would just fall off it was snowing so hard i couldnt see rpm numbers. Secondary is stock. Gearing is setup at 20t drive gear/ 40t driven gear. Im just wondering if i take out rivets in the primary maybe start with taking one out of each weight or change gearing....? just not sure where to go i ride about 4500-6500 elevation i weigh about 250 lbs. Any help would be graetly appreciated. I ran a bit better than a stock sled yesterday not good!!! Thanks in advance

S
Mar 26, 2009
Puyallup, WA
I have a 09 with the 180 kit. First ride I had the same problem. Swaped the stock secondary spring for a Purple EPI Spring. It is much stiffer. Without it there is too much torque going to the secondary and it flys open basicly making the sled go from 1st to 5th. Secondary springs are like $35 bucks and take about 15 minutes to change. You wont regret it. Huge difference.

Fireman35

Lifetime Membership
Aug 11, 2009
Burlington,WI
Call Mack at MPI he knows what your supposed to be running for weights cause you cant be running stock weight for a 6k to 10k kit. I dont know why they wouldnt tell you that when they told you to run 14.5 mm rollers.

S
Jan 6, 2008
I have a stage 1 charger and ran last season at 5-6 lbs boost with 14.5 rollers and 57 gram weights. Yami ypy spring and 47* helix from hartman. It ran spot on all day. This yeaar I changed pulleys and am shooting for 8-9 lbs. I upgraded fuel pump and weights are going to be close to 62 gams. ypy primary secondary at 70* with 47* helix

frees-tyler

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Prince Albert, SK
I have a stage 1 charger and ran last season at 5-6 lbs boost with 14.5 rollers and 57 gram weights. Yami ypy spring and 47* helix from hartman. It ran spot on all day. This yeaar I changed pulleys and am shooting for 8-9 lbs. I upgraded fuel pump and weights are going to be close to 62 gams. ypy primary secondary at 70* with 47* helix

Which weights are you running?

P

PF9090

Jan 16, 2009
I just installed the MPI 180 kit and set it up like they said. Didn't change anything on the secondary but did change weights and springs on primary clutch. Did not change rollers but didn't know I had too. I want this thing to be right the first time out because we have to travel 12 hours to ride and dont want to work on it when I should be riding. What more should I do before leaving home? It is set for 10,000 if that make a differnece and has factory gearing. Any help before I make a long trip would be appreciated. Don't want to be laughed at by the othe guys when my boosted sled cant keep up with their M8 or XP's and I have to work on my Yamaha!!

S
Jan 6, 2008
I have 89A base weights. I have tungston weights for the holes.I would recommend calling Tom Hartman and let him set up your clutches. He has been great for my setup's.

P

PF9090

Jan 16, 2009
I got the same weight set up as you do Rowdycat. How many RPM are you gettting? I figure I can change rivets pretty easy on a trip but would really like to have correct secondary spring installed before leaving. What secondary spring do you have Stuckalot and do you have a part # for it so i could order one? Thanks

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington
I got the same weight set up as you do Rowdycat. How many RPM are you gettting? I figure I can change rivets pretty easy on a trip but would really like to have correct secondary spring installed before leaving. What secondary spring do you have Stuckalot and do you have a part # for it so i could order one? Thanks

Like mentioned above Tom Hartman has the stage 1 s/c clutch kits dialed in. Give him a call, run his setup. Those 800 2 smokes won't stand a chance.......id86

P

PF9090

Jan 16, 2009
Isn't the stage I kit that they sell more like 200+ H.P. and I've only got the MPI 180 kit. I will probably give them a call and see what they have to say. Hope they are as helpful as you guys are. Thanks

R
Feb 20, 2008
Stuck alot id like to know the details on that secondary purple epi spring , i called epi today abd they werent sure which spring it was i guess they dont have nytro springs but maybe another fits...? Also i spoke with matt at mtn performance without knowing my rpm's he wanted me to just tighten the secondary up and go from there... Im thinking i need to drop weight on primary and tighten secondary! Thx guys

S
Nov 30, 2007
Meridian, Idaho
Rowdy, MPI is right.... you need to know your rpms before you go changing a bunch of stuff. You are headed for a lot of frustration if you start changing clutching based on unknown rpms and shift characteristics.

Figure out your rpms and what is happening and we can guide you rom there.

S
Mar 26, 2009
Puyallup, WA
Stuck alot id like to know the details on that secondary purple epi spring , i called epi today abd they werent sure which spring it was i guess they dont have nytro springs but maybe another fits...? Also i spoke with matt at mtn performance without knowing my rpm's he wanted me to just tighten the secondary up and go from there... Im thinking i need to drop weight on primary and tighten secondary! Thx guys

Thats funny. I got it straight off their web site. It it what Curt at Fastrax recommended. #YDR10

http://www.erlandsonperformance.com...=CTGY&Store_Code=EPI&Category_Code=yamsprsnow

S
Jan 6, 2008
Do yourself a favor and stick with one persons clutching advice at a time. Don't mix set ups. I speak from experience here. For what you have invested it would be smart money to let someone who does clutching for a living set you up.ie. Hartman inc. Good luck

P

PF9090

Jan 16, 2009
Thats what I did. I called Tom and told him I wanted what ever he recommended for my riding style and weight. He did both primary and secondary cluthches. No wasteing my riding time screwing around messing with it when you can get set up with someone that has done all the R and D for you.

Premium Features