• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snopro steering on the M series project

F
Sep 14, 2011
We never measured exact numbers. But you can lean with your thighs all the way against the gas tank and not hit the bars with your chest, as you would with a stock steering post location.

thats what I like to hear. My problem is when i stand forward like I want to.. bars are in my hips.. not cool

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
TTT

I had a few requests to do a write up on the snopro steering we did on an M series build a few years back. Basically, you guys can use all the steering parts from the 2006-2007 snopro on your sled and it will bolt up just fine, with the exception of making a bracket from the gas tank mounts to the steering post adjuster. We only used four stock parts from the 2006-2007snopro and machined/fabbed up the rest, which saved a lot of money.

The part numbers we did use are as follows:
0607-844
1705-174
0605-877
1705-143
1705-142

The sno pro steering uses two bell cranks as opposed to one like on the M series. We used two stock bell cranks from an M and machined the splines in order to make the bolts work correctly on them since we had changed the angle the bell crank points. The bell cranks are also tied together beneath the bulkhead with an aluminum bar, as shown in tie rod assembly picture. This is also used on an 09+ M series, which we started with so we did not have to purchase this part. The bell cranks are tied together using 1705-142 143 on top. Everything is pretty straight forward from the parts breakdowns. The snopro bell cranks have small bearings in them that the bolt runs through. We didn’t do this way, we just put the bolts right through the stock bell cranks and we haven’t had any problems.

There are no chassis modifications done to accept this steering on an M, but the hood does need to be cut, and the gauge needs to be relocated to either side of the existing gauge opening. The ECU also needs to be moved to either side of the belly pans to clear for the steering plates. The pictures below will show what I am talking about.

The bracket from the gas tank bolts to the steering post adjuster is made from light square tubing. We have two angled pieces of tubing welded to a straight piece of tubing, which has a rectangle cut out in order to access the nuts on the gas tank. The steering post adjuster is attached to this square tubing, and the supports that run down to the front of the bulkhead are attached to the steering post adjuster. We have since changed the design a little bit due to our support tubes cracking, but that was a design flaw on our part. We now have a support connect the two down tubes which takes away the flex it had before.

If you guys have any questions feel free to ask, I would be glad to answer them. I tried to explain it the best I could, but I’m sure some of it may sound confusing! We have 2 years on this mod and it has been great, it gets you further forward on the sled and side hilling is not an issue with the different steering plane.

Let's keep this up here...

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
Hey arctic2009 do you still have these photos?
And if so, please post them again, maybe a Mod can make it a sticky in the m-Series section!
Reeb I seem to have lost all the pics.. Ill have to snap some new ones. Any specifics you are looking for?

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
If you could them all, would be big help. Where is a good place to find used parts for this mod?
Thanks again....

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I remember some of the bellcranks and what you specifically did there. The rest is fairly straight forward but any and all pics you can take to help others do this conversion would be great!

Thanks

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
And now it resides on a '09 M8T. Just need a smaller riser and finish up the hood.

423af05a21c70810fc8a7fe6b5e44831.jpg

4d9e847060d8967637eac19428d23ae3.jpg

9f70d9f5c1523486a79c001be0c25e3f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
The waiting is the hard part... Right now, the wife and I just adopted a great grand daughter. No I am not that old, but didn't want to see the little one leave the family so life is on hold for a bit. She was born a 3 month preemie, that was almost two years ago now and is doing great with a feeding tube, because eating through her mouth is difficult, which is getting better. So with all of the appointments to Seattle, some things I had to wait on. I have an almost new 08 M1000 that I bought in late on 2011 just waiting for a make over and the forward mount steering is just one of the mods to be done.. Long story short thanks to all for the posts of the steering mod... Will be working on this a little at a time, Thank God for patience...

Last edited:
Premium Features