• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2008 M8 diamond drive gear question

DAKOTAKIDD

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2009
British Columbia
Hey guys, I was just doing my preseason DD removal/open up and oil change when the I found the bearing on the end of the splined transfer gear in pieces. It didn't even stay pressed on the shaft. This has happened once before. I use SKF 6203-2RSJ bearing.

So my question and concern is this bearing was only in the sled approx 320 miles. Not that long and it's destroyed. I also notice that it seems like the bearing is spinning on the shaft and then the washer that's next to it, heats up and penetrates the seal on the bearing and the rest is scrap metal.

Am I using the wrong bearing and this is causing the spinning on the shaft or is the shaft a little smaller now from all the spinning (worn down) and there is not enough of a pressed fit. I can easily press on pretty much by hand and every year when I change it, I can pull it off by hand if its even attached to the shaft. This particular failed bearing is not one bit snug on the shaft. This is the second bearing failure I have had. First was the original cat bearing to my knowledge. It also was totally wrecked and off the shaft.

Also, there is now some marks on the shaft of this transfer gear. Even up close looks like the weld is cracked. If anyone has a transfer gear near by or know what they look like can you see if mine looks normal.

I am leaning toward buying a new transfer gear and hope for the best. What do you guys think

ca1b1068514e21e51c0b1ed6a9e3fd0c.jpg
3e91e70250ec5b9745a4c17004196f20.jpg
10b57881dfd61f0260d89087fe656f29.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T
Nov 29, 2007
Wuhan, WA
Do you have a picture of the bearing that you are talking about? If it's the one I'm thinking of I believe I put a sks in there without the seals. USE some loctite retaining compound to the shaft and bearing to help "glue" the two together and hopefully stop the bearing from spinning on the shaft. It's hard to tell in the pictures on my phone, but if you are concerned about the welds you could have them re-welded at a machine shop, even have them go all the way around to add xtra strength. I have spun 2 sets of those gears on the shafts. Sub par stuff in my opinion.

DAKOTAKIDD

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2009
British Columbia
Do you have a picture of the bearing that you are talking about? If it's the one I'm thinking of I believe I put a sks in there without the seals. USE some loctite retaining compound to the shaft and bearing to help "glue" the two together and hopefully stop the bearing from spinning on the shaft. It's hard to tell in the pictures on my phone, but if you are concerned about the welds you could have them re-welded at a machine shop, even have them go all the way around to add xtra strength. I have spun 2 sets of those gears on the shafts. Sub par stuff in my opinion.

Thx for the reply. The welds. That's what I was wondering. Is that normal to be welded only in 2 places? I am a little concerned about it all the same.

DAKOTAKIDD

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2009
British Columbia
Thx for the reply. The welds. That's what I was wondering. Is that normal to be welded only in 2 places? I am a little concerned about it all the same.

67708de1c6cbe9753eb338411be7b3d4.jpg
0d8b1d8c8f0804a1e24d3b818872c09e.jpg
72bef90b67a9c66566e7b190080ffaa7.jpg

Here are some pics of the bearing and shaft

JoeySlushr

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
LeCenter, MN
As a guess, that piece of weld pry knocked out the bearing. If the bearing goes on real easy you'd be better off replacing the shaft and bearing. You can try green loctite but that's more of a bandaid in your situation. Be kinda crappy dragging it off the hill for a simple fix now

DAKOTAKIDD

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2009
British Columbia
Thx for your reply. I did some real close looking at it today and found what looks like 3 hair line cracks in the welding. I don't feel comfortable reusing it again

Then I talked to BDX today and he was a wealth of knowledge. He suggested a couple ways to reuse the gear but also suggested replacement after I told him there are cracks in the welds.

I bought it and he is going to machine it down to take the double row 5203 bearing. Hopefully this will be the last of this problem

Cheers,

Premium Features