• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sno Scoot help

H
Jul 15, 2014
Put a brand new track on the sno scoot im restoring for my son for Christmas but no matter how much I loosen it off, the tension seems way too tight. It appears to me that someone may have moved the track adjusters further back on the rails because I notice a hole in front of the adjusters. im thinking they re drilled new holes further back on the rails to try to extended the life of an old tired and stretched track. I've attached pics here showing this hole in the rails right in front of where the adjusters are mounted and wondering if everyone else has the same hole showing on theirs? If not then I will know for sure someone has moved the adjusters further back on the rails, and in that case im gonna have a nasty job moving them back up considering all the tension on the rear springs :s without removing the whole skid.

So im hoping you guys can please have a quick look at your sno scoots and see if they have the same hole showing as in my pictures right in front of the track adjusters. if you don't then I know I gotta move my adjusters ahead and then I will be able to get the slack I need.

thanks everyone for your time

IMG-20141220-01718.jpg IMG-20141220-01717.jpg IMG-20141220-01716.jpg

Last edited:
V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I don't remember any extra holes before I long tracked.

Can you put a 1x2 across the top of both springs and one below the track extending wider than the track on each side and then clamp together using some bar clamps? This might relieve the pressure on the spring ends enough to unbolt and slide forward to rebolt.

Just make sure the clamps can't come loose under tension.

H
Jul 15, 2014
Thanks so much for your insight and reply Volcano.

That is exactly what my brother suggested as a mans to relive the tension on those springs, provided that is indeed the issue that the track adjusters need to be moved forward.

I'll wait and see if I can get one more person on here to confirm on theirs that they don't have the hole showing.. if so, then im sure that's my issue and I will go the route you suggested with 1x2's using c clamps to tighten down the rear springs with them enough to relieve the tension that I can unbolt the adjusters and rear axle and move them to the forward hole. I just hope I have enough room to get tools in there on those bolts!

H
Jul 15, 2014
ya Im seing the 4 holes as well in th parts fiche. I used that ebay postig for reference too, im just trying to figure out if the adjusters should be mounted using the back holes or front- mine is set in the rear of the four, so using the rear hole and third hole going from back to front, so the fourth, or front hole, shows on mine and that's how I got it- so im thinking this is why my brand new (not yet stretched ) track is too tight and I cant give it the recommended slack according to specs in manual, but if I move it up to the forward postion of the 4 holes it would allow me the right slack.

gonna try what you recommendd on Tuesday, using some boards and clamps to relieve the tension on those rear spring, move it forward and see if that helps.

If you look in my pictures, to me, it almost looks as though the evidence is there that shows those were front holes were used at some point with some rusting and pitting etc around them..

Just looked at my ebay auction for the rails I am selling (ebay name same as one on here) and they have 4 holes must be for adjustment as the track stretches? don't know of any other reason for the holes other than adjustment as nothing mounts to them.

Haha just saw that you posted a link to my auction. I have always seem them all the way back but I am putting a track on my personal scoot when my tracks (had scoot tracks made overseas to factory specs) come in (Dec 28th) and will find out then if the adjustment is needed.

H
Jul 15, 2014
Thanks for chiming in Braap.. appreciate the insight. So on all the scoots you've had Braap you can see the single hole showing on each rail right in front of the adjusters the same as in the three pictures I posted?

I apologize didn't have my scoots in front of me I have 6 in my garage and none of them show a hole. They look to be all mounted in the farthest forward position. Tracks of all ages one one with a brand new one. The rest are original or replaced before I owned it.

H
Jul 15, 2014
UPDATE: fixed

Thanks a lot fellas- that was the issue. Did what Volcano suggested after I got confirmation from Braap that none of his Scoots has the hole showing either. wasn't easy but managed to compress the spring and move the adjusters to the forward holes tonight and take it for its maiden voyage after the restoration.. just in time for Christmas morning!

IMG-20141223-01735.jpg

Premium Features