• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tubo oiling using OEM injection pump

R

racin_jayson

Sep 19, 2009
Whitehorse YT
Putting together a turbo kit, and I've been brainstorming ways to lube a ball bearing garrett turbo without using the traditional electric pump and tank method.
The oil injection pump has two bottom fittings that are teed together immediately after the pump as seen in the picture
oil.jpg

What would stop a guy from removing the tee fitting, and using one of the outlets to feed the turbo? Doing this would allow me to continue to feed all the case fittings as well as the turbo. For a oil return from the turbo I could just use a small vented oil catch can with a drain valve that I would then have to empty every so often.
Could it really be this simple or am I missing something? I don't really like the idea of feeding the return into the turbo inlet like the MTNTK kits do, but that's just my opinion.

C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011
Bd isn't even doing an oil return...

They are just forcing the oil past the bearings into the turbo, correct?

I'm also very interested in adapting the factory oiling to lube the turbo. Much simpler setup, if feasible to retrofit. I'd like to see some pics/details of the current turbo kits that run this type of oiling.....I believe thats just BD and MTNTEK.

Last edited:

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
It had been mentioned that doing this with a journal bearing turbo would be a bad idea as they require more oil. I personally have no experience here just repeating what was read here.

C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011
It had been mentioned that doing this with a journal bearing turbo would be a bad idea as they require more oil. I personally have no experience here just repeating what was read here.

I figured it might be too easy....

R

racin_jayson

Sep 19, 2009
Whitehorse YT
Journal bearing turbos need a lot more oil than a ball bearing, so I think this will only work on a ball bearing turbo, I'm going to try it out on my garrett gt2871. I'll post photos and results when I get it done.

N

N.A84

Nov 19, 2012
norway
I was thinking of buying that tank delete kit from bd for my 2012 kit, but now i am not so sure anymore.

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
Why don't you add a pulse line to the cases and use a small mikuni 15lph fuel pump to feed the turbo, we are trying it this year on our cats because the oil injection is barely enough oil.. pump is 23$ on amazon, adding a pulse fitting to the cases, tricky.. Possible yes...
I am going to air up the motor and turbo system like I am doing a boost leak check with 10 lbs and drill a small hole with grease on the tip of the drill bit.. Hopefully the boost pressure blowes the shavings out the hole and /or the grease catches most of them. Then do the same for a small tap..

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Why don't you add a pulse line to the cases and use a small mikuni 15lph fuel pump to feed the turbo, we are trying it this year on our cats because the oil injection is barely enough oil.. pump is 23$ on amazon, adding a pulse fitting to the cases, tricky.. Possible yes...
I am going to air up the motor and turbo system like I am doing a boost leak check with 10 lbs and drill a small hole with grease on the tip of the drill bit.. Hopefully the boost pressure blowes the shavings out the hole and /or the grease catches most of them. Then do the same for a small tap..

Gus Bohne (sp?) mentioned using an impulse pump on here a while back. It was due to the lack of electrical power available on certain sleds. Guessing you still would want a ball bearing turbo. I'm no turbo guru but I would not chance it with a journal bearing turbo.

G
Apr 23, 2008
If a journal turbo would survive on the oil pressure you have it would work. the pulse pump will produce 3 to 4 psi more that intake boost pressure.
if your running 12 psi then expect 14 to 16 psi oil pressure.. I dont think that is enough to float the shaft in a journal bearing turbo but I admit I have no experience with them.

have a good season guys.. feel free to follow us on facebook, Gus's turbo world. its not for everyone but if your into this outside the box aspect put in a request to join. its closed to public , no advertisers, no mods just sharing and thinking among like minded folks. lots of triples turbos and fun snowdraggers being built. all 2 stroke all carbs all balls out..:welcome::der::second:

wyorider

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Oil Lines

If you take the bottom Right oil line (in pic) to your turbo and take the Bottom middle one back to the PTO bearing you could make that work. Turn up your oil pump 2 turns from stock, and let it rip.

Put a plate on the bottom side of the turbo where the outlet is.

Open up Boonddockers Pro rmk with intercooler and look at steps 21-23 they do the same thing.

http://boondockers.com/instructions

ewanaburner

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2002
west central MN
pulse pump

once the crankcase gets boost the pulse pump will stop pumping
pulse pumps work on pressure then vacuum as the piston moves
up and down as boost comes up just the pressure will fluctuate
but will always have some pressure therefore not work

it will work at idle but not under boost DON'T do it turbo WILL FAIL !!!!

this comment is for case driven pulse pumps only electric pulse pump may work

Last edited:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
once the crankcase gets boost the pulse pump will stop pumping
pulse pumps work on pressure then vacuum as the piston moves
up and down as boost comes up just the pressure will fluctuate
but will always have some pressure therefore not work

it will work at idle but not under boost DON'T do it turbo WILL FAIL !!!!

this comment is for case driven pulse pumps only electric pulse pump may work

While on a Normally Aspirated engine the pressure pulse does fluctuate from a pressure pulse to a vacuum pulse, the pump actually functions due to the pressure differential, the difference between the high and low pulses. When boosted the pressure differential is the same, it just occurs at a higher valve. The pump does indeed still pump, as Gus described it.

If you had issues with this in the past, you had other issues at play and misdiagnosed the problem. IMO

G
Apr 23, 2008
thanks for clearing that up loudhandle. lots of folks seem to be of the misconception that once under boost all pumping stops and just ONE set pressure exists. not so.. nothing changes in the function of the engine and the pumping of the crankcases. or the reeds could be removed and you would be reed trouble free forever !!

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
I guess a guy could run the line to the top of the turbo then a line out the bottom and just run that line into your downpipe and out it goes.

Anyone have a rough measurement of how much 2 stroke oil gets run through the turbo per tank of gas? Say on the MTNTK kit.

What size restrictors are used?

I know its "a small amount" but that up for interpretation.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
bringing this back as this idea intrests me in deleting my turbo oil tank but keeping a conventional ball bearing setup.
could the oil return from turbo just be routed to lube the engine or oil pump inlet? doesnt seem ideal to pump the oil out the pipe and pushing the oil past the bearings will just gunk up the intercooler and decrease its efficiency of cooling charge air.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
Sliber and BD are both using one of the injector pump lines on some of their kits

engine builders: does that worry any of you ?
since the factory runs two lines into a T then to the case
with this setup you run one of those lines to the turbo one to the case
will that affect flow to the case line :noidea:
thanks

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
Sliber and BD are both using one of the injector pump lines on some of their kits

engine builders: does that worry any of you ?
since the factory runs two lines into a T then to the case
with this setup you run one of those lines to the turbo one to the case
will that affect flow to the case line :noidea:
thanks

Your question is good.
If my mind serves me right, Polaris have some kind of check valves on oil connections to the case. And I will remember these valve would not open before under certain pressure.
If that`s the case, and you are splitting the oil line, oil will flow the way it has less resistance. I would not think there`s much resistance true a ball bearing turbo. So will the turbo take away the oil from the case?

I will give BD and silber the good faith, and will beliv they have this figured.
Maybe someone else have the know about the case oiling.

Premium Features