• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Building my mountain weapon

K

Kyle91rs

Jan 23, 2011
Fort mcmurray Alberta
Hey guys. Been bored lately waiting around for snow and waiting for my turbo kit to show up, so I figured I'd post a build thread for my new ride this year.

I finally called it quits on my arctic cat 800 turbo last year and bought a new pro rmk 800. Fell in love with it instantly. After a few minor changes I figured it would be the best suited sled for me. Well, minor changes turned into a full on turbo project lol. Here's a list of upgrades I've made to it thus far.

-Full turn key kmod skid with raptor shock upgrade
-3" 163 camoplast x3
-avid 7t drivers
-front raptor shocks
-36" alternative impact a arms
-PESidaho quick disconnects for sway arm
-tb racing pipe boards
-RSI risers with 15* RSI bar
-Polaris ultimate front bumper
-fully wrapped tunnel with 3m 1080 carbon fibre vinyl wrap
-custom sled wrap by Spiralus designs
-ratsled rear bumper (wanted to pay tribute to Steve burandt a.k.a ratman, as he sadly passed away this summer in a tragic accident. He was a great man, with a lot of knowledge and skill, he helped me and my riding group out a bunch over the years, RIP Steve!)

I've snow checked a 2015 boondocker turbo kit as well just waiting for it to be shipped. It will have the gtx2863 turbo, water to air intercooler and the new 2015 oiling option (no oil pump/tank)

So far it's turned out great. Here's a couple pics of the before and after.

c38492b638b5b7ffea37dadf7424e4d8.jpg

Had the dealer swap out the red 2014 panels with some black ones they had kicking around
60e6b7924a488b962e534dfaddd753bc.jpg

1a2832a427feac37af07209cc54605de.jpg

c45447497431535ab702b0ffda307bd3.jpg

6bca7c9ec990e5769930454f6024f6fa.jpg

1f481f33acc3ced91e499ded77ecff6a.jpg

Will be ordering up one of those blowholes to install on the clutch side to keep the belt temps in check, also some sort of extra motor mount/torque stop to keep everything aligned.

Working on some interesting lighting upgrades as well, thanks to mountainhorse for some tips and advice on the electrical system.

Well that's where I'm at right now. Hopefully the turbo shows up soon, my thumb is getting twitchy!

Thanks all!

K

Kyle91rs

Jan 23, 2011
Fort mcmurray Alberta
Haven't even seen it yet. Turbo kit hasn't arrived at my local dealer. Was talking to a boondocker rep at the Edmonton sled show and they told me that it gradually burns off

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
From what I have seen. They are blocking of the drain and flooding the bearings, until it pushes by the seals and burns it off. IMO in pursuit of getting rid of a tank and pump they are putting the turbos reliability at risk. In this type of use it might be okay because typically a sled doesn't get the same amount of use as a car or truck. The other thing is the oil getting pushed through the intercooler. If your going to change a system, it should be better. To me it seems like a gimmicky design to sell to the crowd that wants to be rid of the extra tank and oil

Last edited:

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Nice job on the sled Kyle. Everyone with the Kmod raves about it.

The X3 is a game changer.

Make sure you post more pics when you get the turbo installed. Hope it runs well for you.

Kenny B

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2008
Corner Brook, Newfoundland
Very nice build thus far. :) Keep up the good work. :)

I seen your looking for a motor stop to keep everything lined up, I bought a FTX/Union Bay motor plate with the two additional mounts, it works awesome thou it is pretty pricy... But it doesn't allow the case to flex like the two stock straps. I figure if some one is half crafty with a TIG you cut install some flatbar between the engine straps and add some much cheaper engine stops to achieve the same thing.... Something to think about if yopur engine is out. Anyway, thinking out loud....

She's looking good, keep the pics coming. :)
Heres alook at mine from last year, much the same with the carbon wrap.

Premium Features