• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Afr #s

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
If I remember right the last test I had on my fresh setup I was lean.
Not across the board lean, just on the bottom.
As soon as boost comes in the dobek is just right at 12-14 all the way up to wot
Its like the stock fueling is somehow way off. Its 14-16 at idle and mid 19 afr's until boost starts just creeping around.
Runs real sharp but just nervous of the numbers, considering vipec

Its a brand new motor par long rod, with the head. Wossners from rkt, i polished the ex ports, new stock injectors, new dobec with the dual map sensors, new turbo kpa self lube2860, I have a fuel pressure sensor that reads a consistent 59-61 psi.

I've been waiting for hi-perf to get a new stock of fuel filters in I guess it could be something simple like that

Last edited:

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Stock maps are scary lean at Idle. 19's while the throttle is open sounds way to lean though. I've seen 16's while idling and unloading. But usually not while riding. I've Gone away from dobec boxes. Not enough parameters to get a turboed sled tuned how I like. Dobec demands that you tune (to a point) with fuel pressure beings you can't pull fuel with the box. This causes inefficiencies. I've never had a problem tuning a dobec box for wot. All ways runs good at that throttle position. Just everywhere else that has given me trouble.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Where you have located your O2 sensor has a lot to do with AFR numbers. If you are having trouble tuning with your Dobeck box call them. They can change fuel parameters within your fuel controller. Don't believe all the negative comments. Dobeck boxes are programmed to vendor specs and they may not fit your application. Be proactive to fueling issues, call them.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Where you have located your O2 sensor has a lot to do with AFR numbers. If you are having trouble tuning with your Dobeck box call them. They can change fuel parameters within your fuel controller. Don't believe all the negative comments. Dobeck boxes are programmed to vendor specs and they may not fit your application. Be proactive to fueling issues, call them.

Can they pull fuel on their base tunes?

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
My issue has nothing to do with dobek, the piggyback doesn't do anything till it senses boost then adds fuel accordingly through the second set of injectors. Correct me if I'm wrong that's how I understand it.
My issue is pre boost. What can I check on the stock injection system?
My Afr sensor is in the same spot as every Silber kit.

Last edited:

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
I guess that could be, since it hasn't been used in the system until now. It was just hanging out in the elements zip tied to the frame. All though I might have replaced it with new knowing where it had been? I will check

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
If your only lean around idle and not when it comes into boost i would be way more suspect of an exhaust leak or bad 02 sensor then fuel supply. Cap ends and pressure test if you have not. also, how many seasons have you had the 02 sensor in that kit? Seems like if a guy gets 2 seasons out of one hes a lucky bugger.

Snowmow, the gen 3.5 controller he has is capable of pulling and adding fuel on stock injectors as well as controlling boost fuel on the extra injectors. Your probably thinking of older gen 3 units which only added.

And just as general info, 14-16 afr at idle is perfectly normal, they target 14.7 and if it misses a rev or two firing, then straigh air goes through your motor and reads a hair lean. If it feels like its running good but its showing 19 afr. im betting you have a problem with leaks or sensor, thats lean missfire teritory on a pro. Also, some sleds at light throttle low speed can draft air into the exhaust causing all sorts of wacky readings.

B
Jan 10, 2013
Edmonton Alberta
I had the same problem with my kit. Prongs on the map sensor were the weather pack goes into had just a tint of green corrosion on it. Enough trochanter resistance values. Replaced it and now it runs great.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
If your only lean around idle and not when it comes into boost i would be way more suspect of an exhaust leak or bad 02 sensor then fuel supply. Cap ends and pressure test if you have not. also, how many seasons have you had the 02 sensor in that kit? Seems like if a guy gets 2 seasons out of one hes a lucky bugger.

Snowmow, the gen 3.5 controller he has is capable of pulling and adding fuel on stock injectors as well as controlling boost fuel on the extra injectors. Your probably thinking of older gen 3 units which only added.

And just as general info, 14-16 afr at idle is perfectly normal, they target 14.7 and if it misses a rev or two firing, then straigh air goes through your motor and reads a hair lean. If it feels like its running good but its showing 19 afr. im betting you have a problem with leaks or sensor, thats lean missfire teritory on a pro. Also, some sleds at light throttle low speed can draft air into the exhaust causing all sorts of wacky readings.

Does the customer have the ability to pull fuel, or is that in the base tuning?

I

inspector01

Mar 21, 2013
MN
This is on straight pump gas? And your gauge is set to pump gas conversion?

I'd look to confirm the readings if it's running fine and reading that lean. Even under low load, much more than 16:1 or so will start breaking up/lean misfiring on most engines.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I'd look to confirm the readings if it's running fine and reading that lean. Even under low load, much more than 16:1 or so will start breaking up/lean misfiring on most engines.
^^ exactly, that is why I say its most likely skewed readings due to air ingestion. somewhere.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
This is on straight pump gas? And your gauge is set to pump gas conversion?

I've been running straight race vp c-12 when it popped last and straight av otherwise

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Does the customer have the ability to pull fuel, or is that in the base tuning?

Yes you have the ability to pull fuel to the parameters set by the vendor. The percentage parameters can be changed by your vendor (if equipped) or Dobeck.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Yes you have the ability to pull fuel to the parameters set by the vendor. The percentage parameters can be changed by your vendor (if equipped) or Dobeck.

Wheel house pm'ed with all the info in the boxes.

Thanks to you both.

Premium Features