• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Real X3 reviews

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Well I've seen God with the X3....

And it's even better when you're using logs for traction in McCall.

I'm surprised to hear of anybody not liking this track. The floation provided in slow speed, off-camber sketchy crawling in the trees is unreal.

The only negative I have noticed is the increase in trail temps in areas where the trail is completely groomed or there isn't any soft off to the sides.

The FTS and suspension set-up is critical for this set-up working well. Adjust FTS as loose as you can go.

163" X3 non-ported with Avid's Powerclaw drivers..(Nice work Robbie)
Roosterbuilt clutching (this is slick)
Stock walkers in the rear. Evol-X's in the front
No T-stat (this did help with cooling btw)
Stock gearing/QD

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
With regards to temperatures, I don't see it being a real issue. I have TRS's $28 fix and a 2010 Dragon snowflap... While we were in Blue River last week we hit ice trails 2 days in a row; I hit 168 degrees with sheer ice and the scratchers down at the worst time. Another guy had a bone stock 2013 PRO; he hit 225 degrees and overheated twice!!

C
Jan 4, 2009
sw montana
With regards to temperatures, I don't see it being a real issue. I have TRS's $28 fix and a 2010 Dragon snowflap... While we were in Blue River last week we hit ice trails 2 days in a row; I hit 168 degrees with sheer ice and the scratchers down at the worst time. Another guy had a bone stock 2013 PRO; he hit 225 degrees and overheated twice!!

whats the TRS fix

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
whats the TRS fix

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339282

It's installing the doo thermostat and bypass and then removing your stock thermostat. It'll drop you engine temps by and easy 30 degrees and even more in extreme cases. I've had mine on for 2 years and is one of the best upgrades I put on my PRO. The thread is pretty long so go with the later versions where everyone uses the gates power grip clamps. They're a little price compared to a regular hoes clamp but they are clean looking, incredibly strong and I have never had 1 leak.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Just an observation from a guy who is going to stay away from 3" for now. The initial impression compared to later.

It's funny how after 3"ing people notice the effects suspension set-up has on trenching or moving forward. I guess it becomes more noticeable the more snow you move. Wonder if the same suspension adjustments would have left you happier on the 2.5" or maybe a little less in awe of the 3".

Every extreme has it's limitations and benefits. 1" or 3". It's like running mudders or summers or all seasons on your truck just harder to change lol. People "discuss" tires too.

Suspension adjustment are "critical" with 1" or 3". Probably why I am still happy with my 2" lol. It's all about moving snow to move you forward and small changes can make all the difference.
I'll never forget when I was learnin'. We were new and playing with drop and rolls and 2" on our 670's. There was one guy who just embarrassed us on a V-max 750 with the stock 3/4" track every weekend.
Learned a lot from him but he did end up building a 2.5" ty paddled monster (for it's time) before age took over.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Just an observation from a guy who is going to stay away from 3" for now. The initial impression compared to later.

It's funny how after 3"ing people notice the effects suspension set-up has on trenching or moving forward. I guess it becomes more noticeable the more snow you move. Wonder if the same suspension adjustments would have left you happier on the 2.5" or maybe a little less in awe of the 3".

Every extreme has it's limitations and benefits. 1" or 3". It's like running mudders or summers or all seasons on your truck just harder to change lol. People "discuss" tires too.

Suspension adjustment are "critical" with 1" or 3". Probably why I am still happy with my 2" lol. It's all about moving snow to move you forward and small changes can make all the difference.
I'll never forget when I was learnin'. We were new and playing with drop and rolls and 2" on our 670's. There was one guy who just embarrassed us on a V-max 750 with the stock 3/4" track every weekend.
Learned a lot from him but he did end up building a 2.5" ty paddled monster (for it's time) before age took over.

Not for me....take the best suspension set-up with the stock 5.1 (which my wife's '12 has) and my 3 incher will eat it alive any day of the week. It's no comparison.

Remember, going to a 7 tooth driver has a big effect on things and if you do not adjust for it, you could be spinning your mudders.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
DD. You have a good comparison in your own garage. What is the track speed difference between the 2 and what does the ground speed difference LOOK like? Just interested.

I've been around and on 3" for 3 yrs now. It's been popular up here for a while. Never found I was "eaten" though, sticking with the shorter knob but I would not think of going back to 3/4" in. either lol.
I just felt the 3" is the extreme of one end of what I do. I'll add also, that I felt it added to the effort required as much as some of the 174" conversions I rode. They're very popular up here too.
Didn't like the 4 strokes when they were popular up here either.

Different strokes for different folks eh. I'm an all season, SB, Ex cab guy now. Just find it easier to park lol.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I have a 13 Pro with the 162" x3 center ported running Avid 7 tooth drivers, Carl's Clutching, Carl's revalved shocks, heavy spring on rear track shock. I also put SLP Mohawk skis on the sled and cut them at the rear to enhance the spring snow maneuverability. I love the track. It is a game changer for me. I am able to do everything better on the sled than I could with the stock track. The only downside is the heat buildup in marginal snow conditions. With that being said, I have never exceeded 160 degrees even in bad conditions. I don't feel like the track pushes. Of course, the Mohawk skis are a lot more aggressive with a deeper center keel and keels on both sides. I have used the track in deep powder snow, crusty snow and spring snow and I like it better in all of those conditions. I would not consider going back to the stock track. In fact, I donated my old track to one of my friends who turned it into a hillclimbing track for the upcoming RMSHA event at grand Targhee later this month. He modified the track for the hillclimb (cut lugs down, installed screws, etc.). I plan to get a 16 if they have the new H.O. motor. I will put the x3 on the new sled at that time.

R
Mar 3, 2014
Orem, Utah
We've been running the X3 on a handful of stock 800's as well as mine with a MTNTK turbo kit. Night and day difference on a boosted sled and the best bang for the buck on a stock sled in my opinion as long as it fit's the conditions your riding. It does pay off to set up the suspension properly and also balance the track with a more aggressive ski. It will push harder in corners with the added traction of the track, especially a 163". Powder Pro's and Mohawk's have seemed to both work very well and I can't speak for other brands without having tried them. One problem we have experienced is the drivers. They are all using the avid 7t center punched drivers on the stock shaft. Several times in certain snow conditions, where the cups are cut out for the main drivers will get packed with snow and ice causing the track to run awkward and eventually running entirely on the center driver. All the track have marks in the center windows where the driver starts to lift and delaminate the track. Tight or loose doesn't seem to matter. I'll attach a photo. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had similar results or any feedback on the issue. Not a huge problem and we are all still very happy with the combination. Thanks!

Ben

photo (1).JPG

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
DD. You have a good comparison in your own garage. What is the track speed difference between the 2 and what does the ground speed difference LOOK like? Just interested.

Geo,

I'd like to give you emperical data on track speed differences. My speedo on the 7 tooth set-up is reading about 20% higher speed than my wifes '12 Assault on the trail so I'm not sure what the difference is.

All I can tell you is my current set-up doesn't make me worry me about track speed.

MTN Powderhound

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2009
Smithers B.C.
Rocky, what about installing clips in the center. I know it would add wieght, just a thought.
So for these tracks, is it a better idea to install a k-mod, TS suspension with the 3"or is adjusting the FTS enough?

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Just got back from a good week end 210km of spring riding, day one had 18 km of ice road, sled got hot 180, 6 times on the way. Stock pro was 180 4 time and a stock 14 cat had over heat light 5 time. Doo's were cool as ice. As for track speed I'm faster then the stock 14 pro's up hill, about 3-5km, . But from a 20km cruze then punching ill pull 3-4 sled lengths and keep it. I'm sure it will pull better next ride as I was running 8500-8550 rmp. Way to hight but had my weights load to the max. Got to be loosing a few hp there.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I have ridden a couple 3" pro's now and am not convinced they are for me. Nothing "wrong" with them, but the not sure the tradeoffs are worth the effort.

The stock track works fine for a stock sled, with it's downside being the paddles lay over too easily on any somewhat setup snow. The 3" would be great for super deep pow days, but other than that I don't think you're gaining much. With the stock skid, seems you have to take a bunch of preload out of the FTS to get the wheelies under control....which makes the skis more planted, which makes the whole package a little less "playful" than I'd like it.

If I guy wanted to change parts....I would do a 2.5" and have a great balance between the stock track and 3". If your main focus is climbing/high marking, and less goofing around, sidehills, etc....you may already run less preload in the FTS this may be a non-issue. Also, I imagine an aftermarket skid would be able to have less tradeoffs.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I'm running a 13 Pro w/156 center-port, carls clutching, and stock skid, front shock loose, rear shock tight. IMO opinion the track's nowhere near as good as some are saying and its definitely not as bad as others are saying. It doesn't push that bad, its not really any harder to handle, it doesn't really get that much hotter on the trail... and it sure as chit wont run with a turboed sled. I've had it in about every snow condition and its not really bad in any and its not overly good in any. Some are saying it really shines when its super deep... the one super deep day I rode with it I was getting stuck just as much as everyone else, just trenched to much.

I do think that a coupled skid, would make a big difference, it seems to be a trend that guys running aftermarket skids are much happier than those who aren't, but by the time you buy the track, drivers, clutching, and skid you are into the mod 4-5 grand. :face-icon-small-sho

My sled runs about dead even with my buddies 11 163 with RKtech Drop in kit, we made several highmarks on a few different hills this past weekend in semi set up pow, and every mark was within a few feet or less of eachother.

Earlier this year I was shown up all day by a guy on a 2014 155 Assault with a 5.1, he was a better rider then me no doubt, definitely made me feel dumb with my big 3" track. Next sleds gonna be stock and I'm going to put more focus on riding skills rather than throwing money into an already overcapable sled.

Patiently waiting for a mountain Axys in 2016.

BTW track is in good condition yet. Put 1,000 miles on it, did change anything about the way I rode, still let'er rip on the trail, and I am only missing a chunk out of one lug, and the rest still appear to be in excellent shape.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
IMO for me what really makes the difference is the dropped chaincase. No trick to setting up the suspension, gets on top of the snow fast, and really doesn't trench. At least less than everyone else. The case is expensive, but it allows the 8 tooth drivers.

L

Lefty

Apr 26, 2008
Teton Valley
3" build up.

We've been running the X3 on a handful of stock 800's as well as mine with a MTNTK turbo kit. Night and day difference on a boosted sled and the best bang for the buck on a stock sled in my opinion as long as it fit's the conditions your riding. It does pay off to set up the suspension properly and also balance the track with a more aggressive ski. It will push harder in corners with the added traction of the track, especially a 163". Powder Pro's and Mohawk's have seemed to both work very well and I can't speak for other brands without having tried them. One problem we have experienced is the drivers. They are all using the avid 7t center punched drivers on the stock shaft. Several times in certain snow conditions, where the cups are cut out for the main drivers will get packed with snow and ice causing the track to run awkward and eventually running entirely on the center driver. All the track have marks in the center windows where the driver starts to lift and delaminate the track. Tight or loose doesn't seem to matter. I'll attach a photo. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had similar results or any feedback on the issue. Not a huge problem and we are all still very happy with the combination. Thanks!

Ben
Your explanation is spot on with my 500 mi of ride experience on my exact set up. Some conditions worse than others. First time I noticed it, felt like something was coming apart on a downhill coast. Way more noticeable when not under power. Over all love the track!

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.

Ben

I have found mine to vibrate and chatter when braking... It seems to me the extrovert tooth is a little too long and starts to pick up the back of the window when braking. I took a file and filed off the area on the top of the tooth with the black marks. That made it a lot better. I think I'm gonna pull the drive shaft out in the fall and take the driver to my local machine shop and have them mill 1/32" off the top of the extrovert. That should solve it once and for all.

Premium Features