• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summer overhaul, opinions please!

C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011
Updates!!!!

Took waaaaay longer than expected to get it on the snow (stupid bills/blown up dishwasher/expensive gf) but finally took my 858 out the last two nights. I'm running Kelsey's 12.5 domes with 91 oct, and the 10% resistor in at roughly 2000 ft. I decided to go with the Power Commander, got a great deal on one. I also wired in an Innovate wideband to monitor things.

I got a couple maps from TJ @ Dynojet to try, who by the way was a major source of help. Big shout out to him, very knowledgable guy! Anyways, I threw in a set of 10-78 weights with a fairy rich map and hit the field. First impression:

Holy $&@!, this thing is crazy! When my little 144x2" could find traction, the sled would stand right on its tail with the skis to the heavens! Bear in mind, this is with a rich map that was seeing 11 to 1 on the AFR, and clutching that is stock and totally out of wack. I'm blown away by the power difference right off the bat! My laptop screwed up in the field, otherwise I would have tried a slightly leaner map, cause I know there's more in it. With the right clutching, this thing will be a monster!

All in all, money well spent. Thanks Kelsey!!!

C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011
July 2013 update:

Last year was a hell of a season, but long story short I didn't get chance to do my full build in one season like I orginally wanted. I've also had a change in mind-set about the type of riding I want to do: climbing is fun, but big air is a better rush. I've also had a reality check in the amount of miles I put on in the prairies, compared to what I get to do out west. Therefore, the build is going a different direction.

My 858 kit ran strong last spring, but I wasn't blown away with how much I had to screw with the Power Commander. I'm pulling the trigger and buying a ViPec from a member on here, to take my tuning to the next stage. Once I get it dialed in on the N/A 858, I'm adding a turbo and going for broke. Plan is to pick up one of the very plentiful used Silber kits that are available, and adapt it to the ViPec'd 858. Should be a hell of a ride once it's working. Since I'm riding low elevation (2000 ft) most of the time, I'm turning this thing into a high-flying ditch banger that can hold it's own both out west, and across the lake.

Right now I'm collecting parts to fix last March's carnage before I start upgrading power. Michelle from Oregon Trail Sports has been great getting me parts for cheap, can't say enough good things about her. Installing a new White hood, windshield, belly pan, stock pipe, and Van Amburg front bumper soon as the parts arrive. I stretched the skid to 159" last spring, and I still plan on building a custom tunnel extension to cover it this summer.

C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011
Pics where the sled was at prior to nailing a tree:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373997352.127480.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373997592.033348.jpg
And then after:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373997625.302112.jpg

Lind

Lifetime Membership
Sep 14, 2012
Readfield, WI
im looking to do something similar to your original plan however far less money lol

gripper skis, take off rmk track or ce, rmk front, and rk tek drop in kit.

interested in why you were thinking about rolling your chaincase, im hoping/thinking that if i mount my front torque arm lower to the tunnel and run 7 tooth avid drivers i could get away without having to do that and running an anti stab kit...

im trying to keep my sled fairy easy to swap back and forth for out west and back home...

C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011
im looking to do something similar to your original plan however far less money lol

gripper skis, take off rmk track or ce, rmk front, and rk tek drop in kit.

interested in why you were thinking about rolling your chaincase, im hoping/thinking that if i mount my front torque arm lower to the tunnel and run 7 tooth avid drivers i could get away without having to do that and running an anti stab kit...

im trying to keep my sled fairy easy to swap back and forth for out west and back home...

I personally would not recommend changing to 7 tooth drivers and lowering the front of your skid. That will wreck your approach angle, and likely cause the sled to trench in deep snow. I kept my factory drivers for now, and swapped on a Series IV 159" 2-1/4" track with rail extensions. Night and day difference in the powder. Pretty easy swap, can be done in a couple hours.

The reasons I am planning on using the avid case: I can keep my front cooler and 8 tooth drivers, and still cram a 2.5" track in with no worries of the track rubbing. Keeps the approach angle very shallow, for deep powder fun.

Lind

Lifetime Membership
Sep 14, 2012
Readfield, WI
not sure if lowering the front hole less then 1/2'' would completely wreck my approach angle... not sure what the stock angle is on a sba but would be interested in finding out and a rmks angle also. i run a 2 1/8th* 159 with rail extensions as well... however i want more out west.

C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011
I did play with moving my front skid up and down in the mounting holes, I could notice a difference in floatation. However, that difference may be negligible with the traction upgrade you would get with a better track. I'd be interested in learning what you found out.

Are you planning on swapping rails to get a 163" on there?

Lind

Lifetime Membership
Sep 14, 2012
Readfield, WI
that was my thought also, a slightly worse angle but a much better track. id be more then happy to share the results i find. my thought was to send the rail extensions back to tracksusa and go to a 155 instead of 159.

i figured if i could put about $1,000-$1,500 to have pretty much an rmk out west and a great crossover sled back home it would be like having 2 sleds for the price of 1.

if your still looking at running boards B&M fab makes an airframe look alike for $350. This is the route il be going this fall when the sled comes out of the barn... Right now its diesel trucks and motorcycles lol.

http://www.bmfabrications.com/Products.html

Last edited:

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
When you guys are about to tackle the running boards, I'd suggest getting everything needed to convert to the RMK width. If I'm not mistake the SBA's are wider in the footwell? That will help with everything on the steep slopes.

C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011
Got a box of parts yesterday, and started fitting up the new plastics:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374800088.845350.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374800138.054495.jpg

Also just made a kickass deal with a Snowest member, trading my stock A arms, spindles and tie rods for a spanky new Zbroz 38.5" front end, plus a little cash from me. They'll go in for sand blasting and powdercoat when I finish fabbing up the tunnel extension.

C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011
Started on the tunnel extension fab this week. Kinda nerve wracking taking a cut off wheel to your tunnel, but so far going good. I've got Bryan at B&M Fab building me a custom set of tube frame boards that will be 3" shorter than stock, to help better line up with my extension.

Pic of boards and tunnel after cutting:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377404886.601257.jpg

Drilled out the spot welds on the factory drop bracket, I'm just utilizing the inner half.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377404951.588256.jpg

New smooth tunnel cap, and new tunnel sides. Most people will guess my inspiration for the design.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377405001.335160.jpg

Started mock up, to see how things will fit. Still have to trim the tunnel to match the curved profile of the new sides.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377405061.656046.jpg

The new sides will tie into the existing inner drop bracket. When the B&M boards arrive, I'm going to add a triangular support between the boards and the drop bracket to add some strength.

Last edited:
C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011
Trimmed the tunnel, and mocked up the other side today
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377471396.219703.jpg

Got these bad boys in the mail this week too.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377471446.136096.jpg

New handlebar setup I'm going to try this year: ProTaper Evo bars on 5" pivoting risers.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377471501.336546.jpg

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
emuhysa9.jpg
Cutting mine apart also.

Last edited:
C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011
Cutting mine apart also.

Man, I think you got me beat for hacking a tunnel!

In retrospect, after the amount of teardown I did to get to where I can fit up my extension, I'm starting to wish I had stripped the sled right to bulkhead and built a whole new tunnel from scratch. I was a little intimidated about ripping the sled right apart, but once you get to this point, it's not so scary anymore.

What sort of tunnel do you have planned?

C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011
sweet build ! once you got the 858 running good what did you think ?
thanks

Thanks man! Honestly, I don't think I have it tuned in just yet to make a proper assessment. I have a sneaking suspicion I have a bad injector, due to some weird tuning/plug read issues I had last winter. I'm sending my injectors away to get flow tested while the sled is tore down, and then I will tune the N/A 858 with a Vipec this fall. There's a slight chance my buddy who is building a nasty 1200 Cat, and I may run our sleds to a dyno and get them checked out, just to see HP on paper. I may have a turbo by that point however, so who knows......

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
yzany8at.jpg
5/8 by 0.035 wall chromealloy tubing exoskeleton integrated running boards, plastic insert.
Hoping to drop some snow load.
0.065 black hdpe.

Not trying to derail, just like when somebody isnt afraid to cut into a stocker.
Heres last years project.
Thats what i cut apart.

Last edited:
C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011
5/8 by 0.035 wall chromealloy tubing exoskeleton integrated running boards, plastic insert.
Hoping to drop some snow load.
0.065 black hdpe.

Not trying to derail, just like when somebody isnt afraid to cut into a stocker.
Heres last years project.
Thats what i cut apart.

No worries! I definitely think you should start a build thread though, sounds like a one of a kind tunnel. At least get some pictures up as you put it together.

C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011
Just because mockups are fun, I test fit the tank, seat, and plastics with the cleco-fastened tunnel extension. If you squint, it kinda looks like a sled again......

picture.php

First batch of parts will be going in for powercoat this week, and then I can finally start reassembly on the front and rear suspension. The only thing left to fabricate is the rear bumper, cross tubes for the gas rack, and drop brackets once the B&M boards show up. The end is in sight.

Did I mention my ViPec showed up too? Someone sell me a turbo so I can really molest this thing.

Premium Features