• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 indy 550 thoughts?

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
looking at purchasing a indy 550 with a 144" track for my boys to learn on. I'm stocked that it is in the pro chassis. I heard the clutch is new to the 550 and is old (maybe not good) technology. Any one have any feedback?

thanks

B
Nov 27, 2012
This is a fun sled super light (50 pounds lighter then the 550 IQ 136) and it being in the pro chassis it just flat out works great sled to learn on. We rent these sleds out at Daniels summit lodge so I have spent some time on one and the only compliant I would have is that the stearing feels like it came out of a skidoo so it takes some time to adjust but seems to work better for new riders. Clutch is a little diffrent but is easy to adjust weights and springs if needed and seems to work fine so far.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Old school power block clutch. CV-tech builds it. It is also on the BRP 1200. They are showing up on RZR's as a replacement and with a great warranty.

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
I have a 2013 IQ 550 and a 2014 Indy 550. I've only got about five miles on the Indy so if we ever get any snow and I can put some more miles perhaps my perception will change. I switched back and forth a number of times mainly just to compare the clutching. Imop, I prefer the p 85 on the IQ. It just seems more responsive to changing throttle input. In fact if I don't change my mind as I get more miles on the Indy, I'll consider putting a p 85 on it.
I think my circumstances are unique as I've had the opportunity to compare the engine in the two different chassis side by side. If I wouldn't have been able to make such back to back comparisons I'm sure I would be completely happy with the CV tech.

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
I might add to make sure your dealer sets it up for your elevation. My dealer was pretty clueless about that. I felt more comfortable doing it myself, which gave me the opportunity to learn more about the CV tech clutch.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
What are you guys doing to them? Gearing down, 2" track and grippers?

The boards on them look terrible. Wonder if pro boards or swa air frames fit them.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
I love the look of the voyageur - e start, tow hitch, gripper skis - perfect cabin sled! If I had the extra $, there would be 2 of them sitting in front of mine! Can't beat the price either. I may have to part with a couple of my older Dragons and pick two up.

For the 550 144's I would definitely look at 2" tracks and gripper skis.

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
Thanks for the replies. Voyager looks more tempting with the gripper skiis.

Can you add burandt boards? Love those on my Pro.

bkpa

Premium Member
Mar 10, 2012
Hartford, S.D.
Not sure on the Burandt boards? With the conventional tunnel it might be a treat. I'm thinking Better Boards or some other insert would work better. I think I will leave mine the way they are. On a fan cooled sled the boards never seem to ice up and it is better footing for my 14 yr. old daughter.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The only thing that I don't like about these sweet 550's is the laid-back "rush style" steering post angle... made for sit down riding.

I'd really like to build up one of these babies as a light sled... gotta hit the lotto for that.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Not sure on the Burandt boards? With the conventional tunnel it might be a treat. I'm thinking Better Boards or some other insert would work better. I think I will leave mine the way they are. On a fan cooled sled the boards never seem to ice up and it is :face-icon-small-hapbetter footing for my 14 yr. old daughter.

To be honest the boards will ice up on the fan. Heat transfer down the tunnel will ice them in deep snow situations.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
The only thing that I don't like about these sweet 550's is the laid-back "rush style" steering post angle... made for sit down riding.

Hmm, I didn't notice that - can you swap out the steering post?

Answered my own question - looking at the microfiche the answer is a solid no -completely different approach to steering

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Hmm, I didn't notice that - can you swap out the steering post?

Answered my own question - looking at the microfiche the answer is a solid no -completely different approach to steering

On the IQ I looked at switching it out with a 600HO, but the fan shroud prohibits it from turning all the way with the 600 steering post.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
What are some realistic power improvements for the 550. It looks like the cylinders would allow some overbore, but not sure how far. Aaen makes a pipe, and a port/polish plus bigger carbs should help make some more power. Or, does this make this particular motor have a very short fuse?

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Anyone have any updates for the 550?

My kids aren't going to be very big while they are at home so I'm thinking one of these might fit in the fleet pretty nice.

Hoping someone has some seat time on the 550/Pro Chassis combo.

A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
I've got 6400 miles on a 24 year old Trail Indy with the stock, never rebuilt 488 fan. If I had a 550 I'd leave the motor stock and enjoy the sled for what it is, reliable and low maintenance.

Premium Features