• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

LR800 went down :(

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Not yet, he received it 2 days ago but hasn't updated me of anything yet. I told him it wasn't a hurry as my sled season is over anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I don't want to start a pi***** match here.
I will tell you we need to take responsibility for our own actions. We buy xyz's motor package. We then modify it with other suppliers parts. Heads, pipes, fuel controllers, turbo, Nos, ect.... and we expect the builder to warranty failures. I'm not a member of that camp. When you mod outside of the builders spec. you need to shoulder those failures expenses yourself. You need to be honest with your builder.
I saw a post of a 13.6 head at 1800' elevation and contemplating going to a 14.5. Are you kidding me??? Sometimes we are are worst enemy.

An engine builder can look at a failure and can definitely tell what caused it. Most of the time it is consumer induced.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Yes i am fully prepared to take any responsibility for my actions in this deal. I have never yet said the builder is at fault etc. I want him to look at it and tell me what he thinks is the issue.

I have run the 13.6 head at 1800-2200' for ~200miles (of the 600), the rest is at 6-8000'.

In reality, my compression with the 13.6 head at 2200 is the same as my buddies stock ETEC so go figure (which he can run with 91 premium at 1800').

The builder is going to be the one machining the 14.5 heads for this engine, so he is fully aware of what duty it will see.

I have no other add-ons except a remote t-stat and pc5, the latter made it run worse because of the extra fuel it added, i removed it and it ran better/cleaner (the PC5).

I also run this builders high compression head on my '04 pro-xr 800 with twin pipes and no issues.

I also run a 12:1 455 pontiac in my boat at this elevation with no issues.

Proper fuel is key, i am not scared of using race fuel (i have a barrel at minimum on hand at all times, 110 octane or higher).

I run the same mix of race fuel at 6-8000 that i do at 1800, so i shouldn't have any concerns going up the trail.

I do understand where you are coming from as many like to mod the crap out of them and expect others to fix it when they fall apart but that is not me.

Kcjepperson

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2012
Wallsburg, UT
I agree with trs completely! I have heard horror stories of guys that's put their finishing touches on motors and mods. And then say it's a motor or design flaw.

While fuel is key to not detonating a motor with higher compression, who's to say the motor or parts used can handle the extra compression and stress created with the extra compression.

Just because your buddies can run it doesn't mean you can.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
IMO, if a polaris Cfi engine cannot handle 145psi of compression than something is truly wrong with its design from the factory.

Running proper octane required of course.

Last edited:

Kcjepperson

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2012
Wallsburg, UT
I'm not saying what it can or can not handle the extra compression. I am running 13.6 heads on my 910 and it's been 2 years. And I know other guys are running 14.5, every motor and component is different. That's why one cfi motor runs for 4000 miles with out ever doing a single thing to it, and the next one only run 400 miles.

Just saying when you start tinkering , which I am the master at, you take the risk of destroying something.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Update:

Builder has finished and sent my engine out today. He took care of all rebuild costs including the shipping back (across the u.s./canada border).

Instead of getting higher compression domes he tightened up the squish on my existing ones as tight as he thinks it can handle (i may need to use more race fuel).

It now has updated connecting rods and bearings and has been torque-plate honed for tighter tolerances/increased longevity.

So far i am happy with the service and dealings with this builder.

I wont know how well it runs until next year unfortunatly as i dont think i will be going out again this spring.

He is a man of his word and that is much appreciated/respected.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I really don't know much other than what I seen when I inspected it upon removal.

First two pics are of overheated mag rod bearing and last pic is of normal pto rod bearing.

So in short, rod bearing problem,IMO.

esy2egar.jpg
y8ahe8a6.jpg
evumygus.jpg

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Received my engine back from the builder today, planning on getting it installed and running this weekend. I doubt I will get another ride in this spring but anything is possible.

Premium Features