• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Heat source for small fishing hut?

S
Dec 2, 2007
I'm building a small fishing/hunting hut, approx 45 square ft (248 cubic ft) and i'm wondering what i should use as a heating source.

I've seen propane heaters that range from 2 kw to 4kw but i suspect thats way to hot for such a small compartment since it will be properly insulated and so on.

A regular stove for wood is ofcource nice but it kinda sucks getting up in the middle of the night just to out another log in the fire.

Any suggestions?

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Why not man up and enjoy the outdoors? LOL. My 10 year old goes ice fishing all the time and he doesn't comlain about the weather as he loves the outdoors. Isn't that what fishing, hunting, sledding is all about? Being out in nature and enjoying it.

S
Dec 2, 2007
Well, yeah, its all about enjoying the outdoors, of course. The hut would just be a place to cook and sleep when the weather goes bad. Also it saves me the 100 km or so trip back to town each night.

Last edited:
M
Oct 15, 2001
Forest Lake, MN
A sunflower is a good choice. But if you want to have something even nicer and a little safer I would look into "The Big Buddy". It is like a sunflower only it doesn't put off as much bad stuff as a sunflower. I think if you are sleeping in your shack a Big buddy by Mr. Heater would probably be your best bet.

I would also suggest a bigger tank if you are going to be sleeping in the shack. Nothing worse then having to hook another tank up in the middle of the night when it is cold.

I use a sunflower in my 5x6 shack and I usually fish in jeans and a t-shirt.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
A sunflower is a good choice. But if you want to have something even nicer and a little safer I would look into "The Big Buddy". It is like a sunflower only it doesn't put off as much bad stuff as a sunflower. I think if you are sleeping in your shack a Big buddy by Mr. Heater would probably be your best bet.

I would also suggest a bigger tank if you are going to be sleeping in the shack. Nothing worse then having to hook another tank up in the middle of the night when it is cold.

I have a buddy from North Dakota that uses a Mr Heater and he leaves it on all of the time. Says it works very well.

Ice fishing sucks, just go riding!;)

M
Oct 15, 2001
Forest Lake, MN
We never have problems in a portable shack with condensation....

Now that I know where Jeff C fishes I can't wait to go turn the valve off on his tank to mess with him while he is fishing!

Last edited:
L
Oct 11, 2001
Butte, MT
Ice fishing 'shantie' so thats what its called :)

I'm told that the propane heaters produce a lot of condensation?

if it is on constantly it for long periods of times (days) it will produce condensation. We use a sunflower heater in our hunting shack (pretty much a big ice house) and after the 5th or 6th day we start to see a lot of condensation on the walls. If you are insulating your shack I would be a little leary to use a sunflower heater. A Big Buddy Mr. Heater would probably work pretty well. At least it has some safety features built into it. Just my .02

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN

Mach:

That is not true, that heater puts out the same "bad stuff" as the other propane heaters. It does have a monoxide detector built in and will shut off the burner if it gets to dangerous levels.

Make sure if you have an UNVENTED heat source, that you do NOT make it too airtight!! You need make up air or the little shanty will be your coffin........

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
We never have problems in a portable shack with condensation....

Now that I know where Jeff C fishes I can't wait to go turn the valve off on his tank to mess with him while he is fishing!

Mach:

Now that you know, keep that lake on the "down low" OK?

Seriously, I have been fishing that lake without anyone else being on the lake for many years. Over the last 4 years or so, somehow some one has opened up their big pie hole, and we now got the united nations out there. That would be fine if it were a big lake, but it is very small as you know..........

Make sure you shut your hole!! It is called secret lake!!

M
Oct 15, 2001
Forest Lake, MN
Mach:

Now that you know, keep that lake on the "down low" OK?

Seriously, I have been fishing that lake without anyone else being on the lake for many years. Over the last 4 years or so, somehow some one has opened up their big pie hole, and we now got the united nations out there. That would be fine if it were a big lake, but it is very small as you know..........

Make sure you shut your hole!! It is called secret lake!!

Out of everyone I know only 4 now 5 people know of it. We were out there on tuesday and 3 other shacks were out there.

I like to keep my fishing holes producing big fish and lots of them, so I won't be saying a word.

Hell I am not even telling my normal everyday fishing buddies about it. They would keep everything they could till it is fished out! I am not about that.
See you out there tomorrow.

Remember Clam X2 with a yellow rubicon and a blue rubicon good luck.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Out of everyone I know only 4 now 5 people know of it. We were out there on tuesday and 3 other shacks were out there.

I like to keep my fishing holes producing big fish and lots of them, so I won't be saying a word.

Hell I am not even telling my normal everyday fishing buddies about it. They would keep everything they could till it is fished out! I am not about that.
See you out there tomorrow.

Remember Clam X2 with a yellow rubicon and a blue rubicon good luck.

To make matters worse, you are fishing on the exact spot that I do.......:mad:

If I see you on my spot I will have to remove you!:D:D

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
Ice fishing 'shantie' so thats what its called :)

I found this:
http://www.espar.com/html/products/airtronic4.html

In Europe there's a Airtronic camper edition.

Would be nice to know how long i'd be able to run the unit on a 12v 120Ah battery, or bigger.

I'm told that the propane heaters produce a lot of condensation?

these heater are nice but over 2000$ for them & the need for a battery.this is what i would recommend i know guys that use these in there snowmo trailers they are so cheap to run the diesel ones most burn about 2-3 gallons in 24hours you can get wall mount or free standing.
http://www.sigmarine.com/our__product_line.htm

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Check this badboy out, replaces the military pot belly and Yukon winter stoves. As far as I can tell you have to order them from the manufacturer as they are not in surplus yet. And the good news is it'l burn anything solid or liquid including jet fuel!:D I remember how hot the Yukon's got in the Army but I never trusted the front support legs and it appears the new one is supposed to be safer.

Article
http://www.natick.army.mil:80/about/pao/pubs/warrior/99/septoct/hotstuff.htm

Company site
http://www.huntermfgco.com/military_1_2_2.cfm

S
Dec 2, 2007
these heater are nice but over 2000$ for them & the need for a battery.this is what i would recommend i know guys that use these in there snowmo trailers they are so cheap to run the diesel ones most burn about 2-3 gallons in 24hours you can get wall mount or free standing.
http://www.sigmarine.com/our__product_line.htm

Yeah, i just a similiar product in sweden. Not overly expensive, no need for electricity, burns forever. AND you get the cosyness of seeing the flame through the window :)

Seems like the best option. Not the cheapest soltion but what the heck.
PLus the convinience of having a thermostat.
This is the ****!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
if it is on constantly it for long periods of times (days) it will produce condensation. We use a sunflower heater in our hunting shack (pretty much a big ice house) and after the 5th or 6th day we start to see a lot of condensation on the walls.
Just my .02

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

The humans breathing put moisture in the air.
The fact that the air is warm but walls/windows are cold causes the condenation.
The heater simply warms the air, and it wouldn't matter what type of heater.
Although in my opinion, air circulation will help fight condensation.

Premium Features