• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Big Horns snow condition

mark

Lifetime Membership
Sep 26, 2001
Wyoming
snow condition

It was over 40 deg. on the mtn. today. I would say the snow will be junk by this weekend if we don't get more soon. I wouldn't make the trip if I were you. We are going up this weekend, I will let you know.

P

plugged jet

Feb 1, 2009
Southern Big Horns were GREAT

Just got back form a 3 day trip--spent Tuesday in the south and was just about the best riding of my life! I think we were they only sleds in the south range. Got stuck a bunch with the Crossfire 8.

RYDPWDR

Premium Member
Aug 15, 2002
Billings,MT
I was wondering what people think the snow will be like around March 20. Is there usually good snow?

The base this season is about the same as years past, just depends on when storms roll through. Thing about the horns...March and April storms can dump the most pow all year, rain in the valley means good pow up top. Here is pic from April...one of the best pow day's ever.

IMG_0293_1-1.jpg

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Hi, Hope someone can give me a little info.

Me and three other people where planning on going to Black Hills on the 15th but the snow is not looking good at all down there so we decided that if they don't get more snow the Big horns would be a good Back up plan.

Was wandering We are going to have two mountain sleds and two trail sleds. This will be the first time I'm in the Big horns so would like to know where the best pow would be not far from trails so are group doesn't get that far apart. I'm pretty good at navigating and using the GPS so i'm not worried about getting lost. Just I have no clue where the best snow is in this area.

Also where are the cheapest places to stay.

bunker86

Premium Member
Jan 27, 2008
Arlington, South Dakota
was out there all last week and weekend snow was damn good south of the passage went down south of snoe shoe and the snow just kept getting better so snow was good then but sounded like it rained early this week out there so not sure how it is now but im sure you can still find it...

HOOTS

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
S.W MN
Same kind of dilema. Heard it was raining day before yesterday & then snowed some. Enough to compensate for crusty rained on snow??? Thinking Cooke got all snow so probably keep trucking over Horns & head there. Sat. is a driving day & be sleddin Sunday-Wed. Like to hear from Corrine or someone on how much SNOW dropped on this last system.

M

merlin2569

Jan 13, 2008
Clarkfield, MN
I'll be there

Be in the horns sun the 8th until wednesday 11th will let you guys know how it was when we get back. Hope it is worth the trip. Otherwise we might have to head down to the snowies.

R
Jan 19, 2008
Same kind of dilema. Heard it was raining day before yesterday & then snowed some. Enough to compensate for crusty rained on snow??? Thinking Cooke got all snow so probably keep trucking over Horns & head there. Sat. is a driving day & be sleddin Sunday-Wed. Like to hear from Corrine or someone on how much SNOW dropped on this last system.

Hi there!
Really no snow at all. Maybe half an inch and then pretty windy. But up here, no rain either, so that's the good news, I guess.....
Snow is still good though, you may have to look for it a little bit, but it's out there!
Corine.

superfly333

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2008
MN
Just got up to Bear Lodge, talking to some riders in the bar saying the snow is quite hard. I will be riding tomorrow and keep ya posted. Not looking too good!

R
Jan 19, 2008
Go up north in the trees (north of Wyoming High Country) there is - supposedly - some good snow there. Even better snow can be found further south, south of us. There is still a lot of snow, although a little crusted in places, and a lot of powder!
Corine.

W
Dec 10, 2007
Minnnosnowda
bear lodge sucked

just got home snow it what i call cowboy concrete. food sucked they can not cook a steak? internet was down? dont say free wi-fi when you dont have it. would go else where no fun here. it was like ridin trails in minnesota with big hills all tracked up no good snow since christmas.

S

schmeric

Nov 28, 2007
just got home snow it what i call cowboy concrete. food sucked they can not cook a steak? internet was down? dont say free wi-fi when you dont have it. would go else where no fun here. it was like ridin trails in minnesota with big hills all tracked up no good snow since christmas.

you must not know where to go

B
Dec 6, 2007
Aberdeen, SD
Today: A 40 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 24. Southwest wind between 7 and 15 mph.

Tonight: Snow. Low around 5. Wind chill values as low as zero. West southwest wind between 4 and 7 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of around 6 inches.

Monday: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 11. Wind chill values as low as zero. Calm wind becoming northeast around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of around 8 inches.

Monday Night: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around -4. Wind chill values as low as -10. North wind between 5 and 8 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Tuesday: A 50 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 8. West northwest wind between 10 and 14 mph.

Tuesday Night: A 30 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -10.

Premium Features