• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Areas to ride for backcounty skiing/snowboarding?

A
Oct 22, 2014
I just recently bought a pair of sleds to access the back country primarily for skiing/snowboarding. I was hoping to get some info on some areas/sno-parks which would be best for this. Im near snoqualmie pass, but with the lower elevation the conditions can be hit or miss. Is there any higher elevation access in this area (even if its starting lower and have to ride up)? Ideally I would like to find a place with access to 5,000'+ elevation with some decent vertical where conditions would be better when the snow level is higher. Thanks .

L
May 20, 2013
Ellensburg WA
From the Salmon la sac snopark north of Ronald you can access a few different riding areas, elevation is mostly above 5000 and there is some awesome terrain you can access. It gets very busy on weekends though.

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
You talking double up or touring access? Touring access is outstanding via the Salmon la Sac and Teanaway snoparks. Everything N of the crest is wilderness, so there is no competing with sleds for untracked lines on that side. And, it's killer ski terrain. Double up, not so much. I know some guys who do that pretty regularly out of the Gold Creek snopark though. Not my jam, but they seem to enjoy it.

U
Sep 12, 2010
Bombing out teannaway to long's pass and other spots near the wilderness boundary would be cool. Baker has some great double up - ski down terrain.

I won't bet that you will want to ski much once you get on sleds! Lots of folks on this board started on skis.

Check TAY for some route suggestions.

With the machine you do need to know where the wilderness boundary is!

A
Oct 22, 2014
Thanks for the replies. Ideally I would look to double up. I figure take two sleds in, find a good face and lap it till its skied out. How is the crystal springs area toward stampede pass? any other suggestions?

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
Blowing out the spot

Not to be a jerk, but there's no way I'm blowing out our spots on the interwebs. It took years to find some of our lines, a lot of work, and persistence. With that said, there's plenty of lines to be had up in Snoqualmie pass, even bigger lines in Salmon La Sac especially if you want to tour for it. One of the best parts of sledding is exploring and finding new zones IMO. I wouldn't want to rob you of the satisfaction. :face-icon-small-hap

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
Hint hint

Here's some hints and perspective on the differences in zones.

Snoqualmie Pass area, we call this one "Slashers Delight", ~500-600ft vert and easy tandem.
P3110500_zpseadede9f.jpg

Salmon La Sac area, 1500+ vert depending on how far you wanna tour back up to sleds. You can tandem about halfway, the rest is touring.
P3270205_zps53110f45.jpg

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
Anyone who sled skis shoot me a msg I know some places. Dynafit, tour setup - although I 2up sometimes. I won't give anything away but I'll take you to the goods

(347)559-8223
Chris

Premium Features