• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris rmk 858 rk tek on the dyno

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
FinRMK,

What year is the sled with the 858 kit and how many miles does the sled have on it? What compression ratio are you running and what is the altitude this test was done?

Another question...did you measure BSFC?

F
Jan 23, 2015
FinRMK,

What year is the sled with the 858 kit and how many miles does the sled have on it? What compression ratio are you running and what is the altitude this test was done?

Another question...did you measure BSFC?

My sled is 2013 and has 1300 miles on it. Compression ratio: 13-1 and altitude was 0 (sea level)
Bsfc was not measured.

I
Nov 26, 2007
5-9k feet with a few customers riding theirs at 10-12k

I think that might be a factor. The guys who are unimpressed with big bores are usually at lower altitudes where they aren't getting a big compression bump from the big bore kit like the guys at altitude do.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
The guys who are unimpressed with big bores are usually at lower altitudes where they aren't getting a big compression bump from the big bore kit like the guys at altitude do.

The dyno sheet does not lie. Well, it can be manipulated but not in this case.

This thread has nothing to do with who is impressed with what at such and such an altitude. If anything, there should be more HP at sea level which is where this dynorama occurred. The HP was half of what he was told.

The OP was told he would get 30 HP if he spent his hard earned money on this big joke, I mean big bore kit. The manufacturer got his money, in full, and the customer got half of what he was told, which is a measly 15 HP extra. I'm thinking the kit maker should therefore get half of his money.

Salt in the wound-shipping this 30hp monster kit overseas, customs etc has got to be at least 25% more in the cost, not to mention the dyno runs. The OP has conducted himself very admirably. He said what he was told, he showed proof that it was false and without attitude.

The funny thing is how a "dealer" who sells these kits gets on the thread and starts blaming the pipe, the tuner etc without any proof himself. Too funny, but unfortunately, typical.

I
Nov 26, 2007

This thread has nothing to do with who is impressed with what at such and such an altitude. If anything, there should be more HP at sea level which is where this dynorama occurred. The HP was half of what he was told.

The OP was told he would get 30 HP if he spent his hard earned money on this big joke, I mean big bore kit. The manufacturer got his money, in full, and the customer got half of what he was told, which is a measly 15 HP extra. I'm thinking the kit maker should therefore get half of his money.

Salt in the wound-shipping this 30hp monster kit overseas, customs etc has got to be at least 25% more in the cost, not to mention the dyno runs. The OP has conducted himself very admirably. He said what he was told, he showed proof that it was false and without attitude.

The funny thing is how a "dealer" who sells these kits gets on the thread and starts blaming the pipe, the tuner etc without any proof himself. Too funny, but unfortunately, typical.

I completely agree with you and the dyno. I don't think the 858 makes much more hp than stock. Certainly not 30+. I was referring to jkinzer saying he was impressed by how it felt stronger than stock at his elevation and that could be caused by the higher compression gaining back hp. Low elevation guys don't see this gain from compression so they are underwhelmed by the 858.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
My bad. I thought you were defending the kit HP so I got my hackles up. Please replace the strip I ripped off.

F
Jan 23, 2015
I'm not saying that my sled is a total disaster now. It has more power and now that fueling is adjusted perfectly it sure revs real quickly.
The reason why I posted dyno sheets is that many people in different forums have been asking rk tek to show dyno sheets or let someone dyno the 858. I just wanted to show the facts.
I think its wrong to promise any hp numbers if you dont have anything to prove it.
My big bore tryout will not continue on my next sled. Hope it runs this winter without problems.

And one more thing : why would I want to show you dyno chart that has been manipulated to show less hp?? I would have posted dyno sheets no matter what they would have shown...

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
FinRmk;3785024 And one more thing : why would I want to show you dyno chart that has been manipulated to show less hp?? I would have posted dyno sheets no matter what they would have shown...[/QUOTE said:
I thought the exact same thing but I was too lazy to type that. I wasn't saying that the dyno was manipulated. Only thing manipulated was your wallet, which is a shame.

I hope you get enjoyment from your sled this year!!
From the nice tone of your post, I think that Finnish and Canadians are similar in a nice way!!

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
I'm not saying that my sled is a total disaster now. It has more power and now that fueling is adjusted perfectly it sure revs real quickly.
The reason why I posted dyno sheets is that many people in different forums have been asking rk tek to show dyno sheets or let someone dyno the 858. I just wanted to show the facts.
I think its wrong to promise any hp numbers if you dont have anything to prove it.
My big bore tryout will not continue on my next sled. Hope it runs this winter without problems.

And one more thing : why would I want to show you dyno chart that has been manipulated to show less hp?? I would have posted dyno sheets no matter what they would have shown...

I would think that if you want full benefit of a big bore you have to adjust the timing , i know i run a stock 800 pro motor ( 2012 engine ) with a vipec , and it rocks , then i got there 870 BB ( totally a different engine , 2013 ) and i tryed running the same timing map and took a piston out , rebuild it and pull some timing on mid rang and alittle on top end and that was it , i had to add about 8-10% more full to the fuel map in those areas.:welcome:

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho

not once have i said the dyno sheet was manipulated... i'm just stating that from my experience which is now 3 years with these kits and many happy customers that the dyno sheet looks like there is room for improvement yet. I don't have a dyno and i do not dyno our machines but we mountian test 2-3 days a week all winter long and have been very happy with the rktek products. Do you have one of these kits Kanedog? Where at in Canada are you? i'm headed to Castlegar tonight to ride tomorrow and Sunday if you'd like to see/ride an 858.

xcmark

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mass-hole
Any one think the dyno chart above 8000 is odd the way it flat lines and take a dip then bounces back up 1 or 2 HP ? sure looks to me like I went into engine protect and pulled the timing back. I don't want to start a big debate on whats wrong and why but without full engine stats like water temp and fuel flow # . I still would have no reservations about getting a 858 if my wallet would let me. Every owner says they work great an after all these motor stock are 144 ~146 HP so 160+ and its pull an go pump gas motor. sound good to me.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
It may well be a good aftermarket piece. An extra 15hp might be good for you, yes. It may be good for a lot of people. The point of the OP is that he was told he would get a 30hp gain but only got a 15hp gain on the dyno. No one has posted any other dyno charts that says 30hp is attainable.
Unless there is any other proof, 30hp is a BIG FAT LIE!!!!

R
Mar 21, 2014
Niagara Falls, NY
I live 30 minutes from dynotech research in New York. I also own an 858 that I only ride out west. I could easily have my sled dynoed by a well known published dyno company to obtain a number. Numbers mean nothing to me. The proof is in the pudding gentleman. Like JKinzer said ride one. I bet your opinion on those dyno numbers changes after. What works on a dyno and what works in the field are two different stories!

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
No offense but anyone who thinks they are going to gain 30 HP from 58 CCs should have their head examined....and RKT needs a kick in the balls if he's actually telling customers this is the case.

15 HP is a good gain, IMO. I'd be happy with that.

Premium Features