• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TPS readings

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Question to the experts. Hopefully someone has compared.

If you use your PCV and a fully charged 12v battery to read the TPS voltage with a lap top, will it show the correct voltage-same voltage as a dedicated TPS tester and Fluke meter?

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Here are my thoughts on this, if you're required to calibrate the PCV to what the sled's TPS idle and WOT settings are, then it had better be what the ECM sees as well. Otherwise why calibrate the PCV with the TPS settings????????

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I have to "calibrate" my Boonybox to idle and WFO (it's #'s aren't in volts). Doesn't mean it is "calibrating" to the correct volts.

Maybe the volts shown though the screen are correct, maybe not.

The reason I question this is I was told in '13 the PCV doesn't show the correct #'s by the supplier of the PCV and kit included (I respect their R&D) and they gave me their reason why.
So I've used it as a reference point (reason to sync PCV) to see if things have changed over the years but have never used it as an absolute to reset-test TPS.

Three years and no issues with the way it came from the factory but VR3's have changed something and it isn't just idle. I don't have a stock sled and am trying to eliminate things one at a time.
Some posts in the VR3 thread have made me want to go through the whole TPS process just to eliminate that first.

I have a PCV, battery, lap-top. I don't have a calibrated tester or a Poo machine.

So,,, has anyone compared voltage readings through the PCV with those from a well calibrated tester and meter? Or, even better, a Poo machine?

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
It would be interesting to know why the PCV would show different readings than the ECU would see.

My sled is not stock as well, but I just went and did the TPS process on my '14 using the PCV. Base was set to .703. Idle screw adjusted for a reading of .943.

Fired up the sled, let it warm up to 125, idled at 1750-1800. with no belt on, blipped the throttle (nothing drastic, mid you) and everything seem OK. I'll see this weekend.

NapaMatt

Matryx 850 Pow Slayer!
Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2009
Stewartville, MN
www.napaonline.com
Using a 2010 Version PC-V on a CFI-4

I have found YES, SAME Volts.

Going to your V Force 3 Idle.. Yes. Have to up Idle a Bit.. Also the Sync.. Screw.. Is normally OFF. The Throttle Plates In All CFI's With around 3500- 4000 miles.. I betting are Not Round any more.

I used the EGTs if reference temps..

Using V Force 3 Reeds.. Temps Come up slower then stock Polaris reeds. Means yes they are Tighter. Do Loosen with miles. End up Flaking Off!!

When setting the TPS.. The sync screw only adjusts the Mag side, Keep that in mind.

NapaMatt

Matryx 850 Pow Slayer!
Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2009
Stewartville, MN
www.napaonline.com
I Found a Take off 2012 600 with 50 miles on them off E bay.. 100$ Retail.. is 424$$$

So why NOT Replace the Whole Throttle Body as a Assembly!!

Fyi... All The TB's are the same... 600/700/800 .. 2007 - 2013.. Doesn't matter CFI 2 or 4

Last edited:

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I Found a Take off 2012 600 with 50 miles on them off E bay.. 100$ Retail.. is 424$$$

So why NOT Replace the Whole Throttle Body as a Assembly!!

Fyi... All The TB's are the same... 600/700/800 .. 2007 - 2015.. Doesn't matter CFI 2 or 4

True but the TPS changed in '13.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Question to the experts. Hopefully someone has compared.

If you use your PCV and a fully charged 12v battery to read the TPS voltage with a lap top, will it show the correct voltage-same voltage as a dedicated TPS tester and Fluke meter?

I'm not an expert.

I set mine with a homemade 5 VDC power source but if I had to do it over again I'd be inclined to back probe the TPS terminals at the ECU connector while powering up the sled with the external power supply.

#1 - You can verify the reference voltage that is actually being sent to the TPS from the ECU.

#2 - You can verify the TPS signal that is being returned to the ECU, accounting for voltage drops in wiring / connections(however miniscule).

FWIW

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
True but the TPS changed in '13.

After '13 MY? Correct? Started with the '14 MY. At least the harness changed from '13 to '14. My thought was the TPS plug change (pig tail added / different connector, Triangular three pin) to keep the condensation and water out.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
After '13 MY? Correct? Started with the '14 MY. At least the harness changed from '13 to '14. My thought was the TPS plug change (pig tail added / different connector, Triangular three pin) to keep the condensation and water out.

Sorry. yes after '13. The '14 and up is different. The internals are the same but the connector and subsequent harness changed.

Premium Features