• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 Indy 550 oil consumption

M
Jan 18, 2015
I have a 550 indy and a 600 rush both are 2014 ... 550 indy uses about 4 times the oil that the 600 rush uses. Filled both sleds with oil yesterday, we went 60 miles and the 600 used about a 1/2 cup of oil and I bet I put a quart in the 550 to fill it back up... 550 will smoke when it idles... has anyone else seen this... just wondering and yes I will take it to the dealer ...

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Calc the oil use on both. You want to be 40:1 or richer. The newer Poo liquid sleds are notoriously lean on oil. Look at all the " turn up your oiler" threads in the Polaris section.
Hard to tell from your miles, but If you added a at to the 550, should have burned the better part of a tank of gas. 8+ gal.
You can adjust the oil pump rate on any sled I've had.
The 550 May be real rich or something else causing it to smoke. It should not smoke once the engine is warmed up.
4oz of oil in the 600 sounds real lean. You should be using3- 4oz of oil per gal approx. unless your sled gets 60mpg it's not getting enough oil.

Last edited:
A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
The 550 is a fan cooled motor, looser tolerances and carb'd. I'd be happy it was using more oil than the 600. Using more oil is not going to hurt anything. If you are concerned about the cost of oil, switch to a less expensive brand. I wouldn't be running any high priced synthetic oil in it.

M
Jan 18, 2015
i am running regular cheap oil in the 550.. so at 40 parts gas to 1 part oil ..I should be using up a quart of oil to ten gallons of gas... with that being said I used a quart of oil and only about 4 or 5 gals of gas... so thats like 20 to 1 ... hence the blue smoke at idle even after warm up... back to the dealer tomorrow... still under warantee

M
Jan 18, 2015
its at the dealer now... I will check it carefully to see where its at when i get it back, i will also check accurately the 600 Rush as well

C
Dec 24, 2014
I understand that Polaris has had complaints from Rush customers that the sleds used too much oil. In the west we were burning up pistons trying to run flatland oil consumption levels. The '14 Pros seem to be running 30-40:1 from the factory. Looks like they stayed lean on the Rush.

The air cooled carb'ed engine is probably going to use more oil because fuel and oil are less accurately metered than on the FI sled. Sounds like you are on the right track though, a little less for the 550, a little more for the 600.

M
Jan 18, 2015
indy is back from dealer and we went riding... I just checked it and its at 44 to 1 now.. I pretty happy with that ... I will check it periodicly

Premium Features