• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil comsumption

newfrank

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2013
Hey all,

I've got a 2015 switchback assault 800. I installed paaso's vented cap a few months ago but have only ridden it in the past few weeks.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what volume of oil the oil tank holds (in litres preferably). I ask because I'd like to calculate my fuel to oil ratio to see if I need to turn up the oiler.

I know the gas tank is 40 litres and that I should be aiming for a ratio of about 40:1.

I went for a ride today and used 3/4 of a tank of fuel and only about 1/3 of a tank of oil.

Thanks,
Frank

dttrusko

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2010
Trimountain, MI
Fill up gas and oil, ride it, measure how much you have to add to fill to the same spot, calculate your ratio.

If you really want to deal with measuring how much you use with that awkward shaped oil bottle, it holds 3.4 quarts.

Last edited:

newfrank

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2013
Okay that sounds easier than the way I was thinking lol. Thanks!

C
Dec 24, 2014
I think Polaris has addressed this. I checked my new '14 and it ran about 30:1. My '13 was delivered at 45-50:1, I turned the oiler up on that one to get to 30:1.

I bet you are running better than 40:1 already and the oil cap was unnecessary. I also think that 40:1 is not enough if you are riding hard in deep snow. You can go down to 20:1 before you lose performance. My sled is crisp and strong at 30:1

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I went for a ride today and used 3/4 of a tank of fuel and only about 1/3 of a tank of oil.

Good Lord! If you went thru a 1/3 tank of oil with only 3/4 tank of fuel, that's like 10:1. Your calculations must be off. Do what the others have said. I shoot for between 40:1 and 50:1. Any more than that and your just wasting money, IMHO.

CO Powder, the oil cap is very necessary for another reason. The fact that it does change the mixture kinda makes you go, hmmmm.

newfrank

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2013
Well the tank is tapered at the top so it's probably less oil than it looks like. I'm going to measure it out my next ride and see what I'm actually at. All I know is that it smokes like hell and if I stop for a minute or so it'll leave a black spot in the snow.

Frank

C
Dec 24, 2014
Good Lord! If you went thru a 1/3 tank of oil with only 3/4 tank of fuel, that's like 10:1. Your calculations must be off. Do what the others have said. I shoot for between 40:1 and 50:1. Any more than that and your just wasting money, IMHO.

CO Powder, the oil cap is very necessary for another reason. The fact that it does change the mixture kinda makes you go, hmmmm.

Do the math... the tank is about 3 qts, he used about a quart for a ride, 32 oz. He used about 8 gallons of fuel. 8x128/32= 32:1 PERFECT for a mtn sled. If you shoot for 40-50:1 on your mtn sled, it will not last. That might fly in the flatlands but look at the piston problems when Polaris was shipping them at 50:1 or worse. Mtn sleds spend a LOT more time at WOT, oil consumption needs to be higher. I see almost no '14 and up burn downs anymore. Could it be they are finally getting the oil they need? Two new sleds from Polaris in this thread shipped with ratios around 30:1. Interestingly, the one with the special cap(OP) used the same amount of oil as the one with a stock cap(Mine).

I suppose when he verifies it is running 30:1 or so, you would recommend he turn that down because it is a waste of oil?

P

purepolaris600

Aug 21, 2009
Elkader iowa
The cap is a must do my sled burned down do to low oil and i had the oiler turned up to 40 to 1 and last ride it did not vent now with the vented cap i still had my oiler set the same as before and my ratio is 16 to 1 so now i will be turning my oiler down the cap issue on these sleds sometimes is not a issue till they plug and its too late

B
Mar 1, 2009
The oil cap is a huge issue..I wish idiots would quit telling people its not.. All is fine until it sticks and don't vent..

C
Dec 24, 2014
The oil cap is a huge issue..I wish idiots would quit telling people its not.. All is fine until it sticks and don't vent..

It isn't exactly a complex mechanism... You have to remove the cap to add oil. You can shake the cap to see if it is working. Maybe just assuming it is working is the problem? Maybe there are a hundred thousand Polaris sleds out there with this cap that will never have a problem.

I had no problems last year, 1300 mtn miles and, none so far this year with a little under 300 miles.

B
Mar 1, 2009
Mine 11 ran great for 2 years and 2100 miles, then cap stuck and took out lower crank bearing.. Replaced it with Indy dan motor and it went 50 miles and did same damn thing.. when i checked cap, oil would run from tank for a bit then would completely quit!! Took cap off 13 and tried it and it would flow out of tank no problem.. I have a 11 13 14 polaris, and all have vented tanks now ..

Premium Features