• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch spring

M

minus40

Oct 22, 2001
What would cause primary springs to deform in as little as 50 miles on a new clutch. New Polaris springs go in straight and come out with quite a lean on them. I could tell when one was out of shape as the rpm climbed a little as the spring was binding on the spider lock nut. Lots of alum filings as well from both spring pockets.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Check that clutch closely in a couple of areas...
1 - The shims under the spider. Make sure you don't have one hung up keeping the spider from screwing all the way down in to place.
2 - Make sure your towers and cover a lining up and bottoming out against each other.
3 - Make sure the clutch is screwed tight together, that the spider/moveable sheave can't/isn't spinning on the shaft.

Otherwise I don't know how they could tweak like that, they are pretty tight in the spring pockets typically.

sled_guy

M

minus40

Oct 22, 2001
Thanks, that all checked out. Next step was to put a dial indicator on and check spring pads for square. Then balance. However a new one is on the way so might not waste anymore time on this one.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Give Lonn at Thunder products a call. Let him know your problems and he will have what you need.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
What would cause primary springs to deform in as little as 50 miles on a new clutch. New Polaris springs go in straight and come out with quite a lean on them. I could tell when one was out of shape as the rpm climbed a little as the spring was binding on the spider lock nut. Lots of alum filings as well from both spring pockets.

It's because you're a Rider fan and it has to lean like your avatar:face-icon-small-ton

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
What spring are you using? On my 12 pro I noticed poo, slp, and speedwerx h5 springs had thicker or thinner coils depending on brand, and would rub/stick on both ends. Ive run thunder products metal glide washers in my clutches for years now on Polaris and Cat primaries. Helps spring bind a bunch. I usually run one on each end of the spring. Each one will raise clutch engagement by 50 or more rpm fyi

M

minus40

Oct 22, 2001
What spring are you using? On my 12 pro I noticed poo, slp, and speedwerx h5 springs had thicker or thinner coils depending on brand, and would rub/stick on both ends. Ive run thunder products metal glide washers in my clutches for years now on Polaris and Cat primaries. Helps spring bind a bunch. I usually run one on each end of the spring. Each one will raise clutch engagement by 50 or more rpm fyi

Polaris blue/white, black/white.
So your just running one plain steel on each end? I was thinking of one steel against the spring and the coated one under that against the clutch. Maybe that's overthinking it?
That will take up .080 in space. Is there enough room that you don't have to worry about coil bind? i suppose that will depend on spring and how tight the pocket actually is.

Premium Features