• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Threadlocker required on the cylinder head bolts?

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
I am just installing low compression head from RK to compliment the BD turbo :) I removed the OEM head but there was no threadlocker as far as I can see, is there supposed to be one? Also what is this black gunk (silicone??) around the bolt head?

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
There is a special page in service manual - fastener torque guide, it also says if a sealant, threadlocker or anti-seize is necessary on a given bolt, but by the head cover bolts in the chart it only lists torque values without any sealant or threadlocker requirement. The only other location in the manual mentioning head bolts (head bolts are the same as cover bolts right? I am just confirming naming) says on a disassembly process page and I quote "Loosen all, then remove all head cover fasteners. Clean the fastener threads to remove any thread locking residue.". I asked question here because on my bolts there was no thread locking residue whatsoever. The head bolts are not mentioned anywhere else in the service manual, I Know cause I read it at least twice and also used search feature. Is the service manual so inaccurate in such an important matter?

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Yes, the manuals can get abit flakey. Sometimes dead on, particularly for new models with almost completely new parts, but they get squirrelly after a few more motors, suspensions, etc., get dropped in, and they try to cover multiple models in a single manual.

No thread locker on the 8 head bolts. Sealant at the bolt head is not spec'ed, but it will be there on an OEM poo with one piece heads. A very small amount between the bolt head and head will help insure the bolt head doesn't weep coolant. You may find the same issue with the bleed screw, too.

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
so I did put a gasket maker around the bolt head (loctite product), I did test it afterwards and nothing is leaking :) I only hope I did not put too much of it...

Premium Features