• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2 '15 Pro's cutting out??

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I have 2 '15 Pro's that all the sudden today were cutting out. They have never done it before.

Both stock,
just blip the throttle and they stutter enough to almost throw you off, pin it from a stop and it almost dies then takes off. '
even when riding if you work the throttle a lot it will studder pretty bad and then sometimes its fine. WTF.

Feels more like a shut down than anything, I have tethers I got from oft racing that plug right in. Like I said this is the first time and seeing how neither had issues the last time ridden and now they do I'm thinking its something else.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Adjust your throttle cable, it likely has slack in it. On a new pro you usually have to adjust them 2-3 times in the first 1000 miles. This slack causes all kinds of issues like your describing. Eric

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Change the spark plugs. Mine was doing something similar and that was the cure. About every pro we ever had would start cutting out and it was plugs. The 12 ate 2 sets in one season. 1 the first day and 1 the last.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
How can slack cause an issue? IMO all it can do is prevent you from going full throttle.

Are you being serious?

"just blip the throttle and they stutter enough to almost throw you off, pin it from a stop and it almost dies then takes off. '
even when riding if you work the throttle a lot it will studder pretty bad and then sometimes its fine."

These two issues he posted are spot on symptoms of when the Throttle override system is being activated. Slack in the throttle cable causes this because the throttle lever is not returning all the way to the throttle block and telling the computer the throttle is Closed, therefore it thinks the throttle lever is stuck open and cuts the power.
Eric

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I have 2 '15 Pro's that all the sudden today were cutting out. They have never done it before.

Both stock,
just blip the throttle and they stutter enough to almost throw you off, pin it from a stop and it almost dies then takes off. '
even when riding if you work the throttle a lot it will studder pretty bad and then sometimes its fine. WTF.

Feels more like a shut down than anything, I have tethers I got from oft racing that plug right in. Like I said this is the first time and seeing how neither had issues the last time ridden and now they do I'm thinking its something else.

If the TSS is not the problem.
Was it really warm today? Did it start this after a short shutdown time? Was the pump making a squealing noise in the tank?
I have witnessed this also, thought it was the pump missing clamps.(thread) This is not the case. I now believe it is the fuel boiling in the fuel rail after shut down, thus the squealing noise. It truly sounds like air passing through the FPR.
If you let it idle until the noise stops in the tank, the problem solves itself. I had the issue surface again last Monday when it was close to 50* on the mountain.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Was it really warm today? Did it start this after a short shutdown time? Was the pump making a squealing noise in the tank?
I have witnessed this also, thought it was the pump missing clamps.(thread) This is not the case. I now believe it is the fuel boiling in the fuel rail after shut down, thus the squealing noise. It truly sounds like air passing through the FPR.
If you let it idle until the noise stops in the tank, the problem solves itself. I had the issue surface again last Monday when it was close to 50* on the mountain.

^^^ This

Riding last Friday, myself on a 15 with MTNTK turbo and bud on a stock 14, all of a sudden we're bogging and cutting out. The fuel pump became very noisy with an oscillating whine. This was after doing a lot of slow speed through the trees on stiff snow where the sleds were running on the warm side. I put my hand on the fuel tank and it was warm to the touch but not hot. It took some time but once in the alpine, in good snow, the problem faded away and they both started running normal for the rest of the day. I'm glad the stock sled was doing it too or I would have thought it was turbo related.

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
You you being serious?

"just blip the throttle and they stutter enough to almost throw you off, pin it from a stop and it almost dies then takes off. '
even when riding if you work the throttle a lot it will studder pretty bad and then sometimes its fine."

These two issues he posted are spot on symptoms of when the Throttle override system is being activated. Slack in the throttle cable causes this because the throttle lever is not returning all the way to the throttle block and telling the computer the throttle is Closed, therefore it thinks the throttle lever is stuck open and cuts the power.
Eric

I thought the TSS system worked on the premise that if it read tps voltage above a certain level without the tss circuit being closed it assumed a stuck throttle. If you pull on the flipper without touching the pin the sled dies. If you push the pin down at idle it does nothing. When you bypass them it does nothing. Thats the part that makes me wonder how a loose cable could cause the syomtoms described above.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
It was about 50 deg F when mine started doing it too. I did not hear any fuel pump noises.

Initially it started happening on a hot restart and it would hesitate 2-3 times at a low throttle setting and then clear up. Later in day it would happen at higher throttle settings and usually at the worst possible time, i.e. climbing a hill.

'14 Pro 800 here. It was warm out and our belts smoked occasionally when we rode hard in the wet snow.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I thought the TSS system worked on the premise that if it read tps voltage above a certain level without the tss circuit being closed it assumed a stuck throttle. If you pull on the flipper without touching the pin the sled dies. If you push the pin down at idle it does nothing. When you bypass them it does nothing. Thats the part that makes me wonder how a loose cable could cause the syomtoms described above.

Ive had those exact symptoms happen on both of my pros at least twice and I have also fixed friends sleds while out riding that were doing the same thing. In each case the sled had about 300-400 miles on a new sled and adjusting the throttle cable fixed everyone of them. Eric

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Ive had those exact symptoms happen on both of my pros at least twice and I have also fixed friends sleds while out riding that were doing the same thing. In each case the sled had about 300-400 miles on a new sled and adjusting the throttle cable fixed everyone of them. Eric

If my understanding of the TSS system is correct that should have made no difference.

I am hoping that somebody has a different insight to how the system works. All my sleds have slack as well as the ones we install turbos on and I have yet to see it manifest an issue with the TSS. I probably have a much larger test group (60-70 sleds) set up this way than the average user so I figure I would see it pop up.

What I do see is sleds with the cable too tight causing all kinds of TSS issues.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
I ride with a few other Pro's and we seem to have the same problem from time to time but only when it's really warm out. 40+ degrees or higher. Almost like the machine can't completely compensate for the warm temps. Just a thought but when it cold, the sleds run fine. Good luck. Hope you find the Gremlin if it's not the temp.

diesel-powered-microwave

Lifetime Membership
Aug 20, 2009
My '13 was doing the same things the last 3 days started out each day around 30° and ran fine until afternoon 45-60° made the whining noise only the first day the coolest of all 3 days but cut out all 3 days "of course at the worst possible times" but only in the afternoon when it was the warmest. Never seen any codes and nothing consistent on when it cuts out very frustrating. Any suggestions would be appreciated

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
For whatever reason, this has been the year of the fuel filter for me. I have run many rentals in the past years and made 7000-8000 miles without needing to replace a fuel filter. This year a 15, 600 and a 15, 800 both needed a filter in the first season. The first symptoms are cutting out on long climbs, a whine in the tank from the pump working extra hard, and no engine codes are being produced. This is probably not the issue for the guy in the first couple of posts, but a few of you that are running older pro's, I would check that first. A fuel filter through Polaris is about $180, though an aftermarket filter through Western Power Sports is about $80.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO

Yep! That sounds about right

YOOPERREV

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Negaunee, Mi
I have had the same issue a couple of times, here are my findings: it appears that i have been hitting the rev limiter for a split second on initial throttle tip in. If i hit the throttle hard 3/4 or more from a real low throttle setting it jumps to the rev limiter for just a 100th of a second and bogs the motor down enough to cause the sled to stumble, i never saw the tach read high but i was clutched just light enough where it would happen. Added in a little primary weight and the problem went away, at first it did it climbing out of steep drainages and then it did it following my son home on the trail when i would back down rel slow and then hit it. i would hold 8200 all day on hte hill but it was in the bottom-mid that i had the problem. no codes and the TPS was set @.947 just right!

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
How can slack cause an issue?

Slack in the cable "may" allow the throttle flipper to not fully retract which then doesn't allow the TSS to close completely. If/when this happens, the signal from the TSS to the ECU doesn't correspond with what it expects given TPS, RPM, etc. and can cause a number of different symptoms.

Some of the problems I've seen:

Poor runnability, hard starting, even engine backfiring.
No reverse
Check engine light come on '13 and later.
On 13's I've seen RPM not go over 3,000.

The TSS has been an issue for us (in the past) usually on a day following over the hood pow. Something I have not seen this year.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
We had a 15 with 380 miles do the same thing, it was an air leak/bad crank bearings. Vapor lock in the fuel rail is common though when it is warm out. As well as injectors failing, TSS, TPS.....

Premium Features