• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

POO PRO 800 engine?

Will the PRO's 800 engine last?

• YES

Votes: 352 71.5%
  • NO

Votes: 140 28.5%

• Total voters

63nova

Jun 4, 2008
The flatlands
Really?

i would also like to know what engine that are going down??

Are they A Block or B Block

A -- Means Day Shift

B --- Means Night Shift..

This is found on the crank case in the front..

That marking looks to be done by a milling machine. Maybe it is done at the supplier that machines the blocks???? It just seems stange that Polaris would have a CNC machine on the assembly line spitting chips everywhere. That is why they use a pin stamper to put the serial numbers in. I think you need to re-check your information.

R

River Ratt

Oct 27, 2008
Markerville AB
I'm glad to here the 2001's seem to be more reliable, because I have been expecting my ditch banger to have blown up by now with 5600 miles on it, but it is still running great. Now my 2006 summit X lost one crank and one broken piston ring in 4800 miles. The new Pro has 1500 miles, no issues so far, it has had the midrange bog about 4 times total. I noticed how little oil they use, so I have been adding a bit of oil to every tank to be on the safe side.

NapaMatt

Matryx 850 Pow Slayer!
Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2009
Stewartville, MN
www.napaonline.com
That marking looks to be done by a milling machine. Maybe it is done at the supplier that machines the blocks???? It just seems stange that Polaris would have a CNC machine on the assembly line spitting chips everywhere. That is why they use a pin stamper to put the serial numbers in. I think you need to re-check your information.

Well i talked to a guy thats Makes them!!!

Works for Team Ind.

This is who makes ALL the Bottom Ends for Polaris, all the Clutches And Chain Cases.. ETC..

Yes, this is a team Marking..
Just a FYI.. it takes 8 MIN to make a bottom End!!

And something crazy like 8 sec to make half of a secondary!!

All Polaris Work is being done in 68F Controlled Environment!!!

Last edited:
V
Jan 3, 2008
Eastern Wshington
Hmmm, I had an '01 800 RMK with about 4500 miles on it when I sold it with no engine issues. Now it has close to 6000 and still no engine issues. Don't blow things out of proportion just because you're one of the unfortunate individuals that has had issues.

Take your own advice.. don't blow things out of proportion. Just because YOU had a long lived Poo 800 does not mean they are a solid engine. History speaks for itself, very clearly, in this regard.

To funny. The new Polaris mtn sled is getting all these accolades without having to prove the motor will live. They win "MTN Sled of the YR" TWICE before the vast majority of these new motors have even 1000 miles on them. That doesn't stop the Poo faithful from patting Poo on the back over a "success" before the real verdict is in. Why don't we let time tell the story.

BTW, I don't give a **** what I ride. I like the feel of the Pro, just waiting to see how long they really last!

V
Jan 3, 2008
Eastern Wshington
If Polaris was smart they'd have Suzuki start building their 800's when Cat starts building their own. I know there's a lot more to it than that, but what a sweet package that would be! A reliable 160+ in the Pro chassis!

Last edited:

NapaMatt

Matryx 850 Pow Slayer!
Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2009
Stewartville, MN
www.napaonline.com
If Polaris was smart they'd have Suzuki start building their 800's when Cat starts building their own. I know there's a lot more to it than that, but what a sweet package that would be! A reliable 160+ in the Pro chassis!

You can get 160+.. in the Polaris 800 Pro!!

.. Head+ pipe+ Fuel controller

But that sets you back.. about 1400$$

Cat may have a tough time getting either engine this year.. Look at the weather and whats going on over there!!

X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
Yeah, I don't really trust any of the 800 2 strokes. My next sled is going to be a Yammy 4 stroke. Hoping they lighten the chassis in the next year or two, whether they do or not I'm buyin one!

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
i hope POO is finally getting thier act together on the 800 motors, three out of five riding buddies on 09 and newer RMKs have been out a sled while thiers is getting a new engine. One was on his fourth engine so he took it to another shop and had wiseco pistons and a power comamnder put in it. Now polaris wont pay for the fix ( which i told him would happen since a polaris shop didnt fix it). Either way i can tell you most of the group i ride with has a bad taste in our mouth on POO 800s because we are always either pulling them out, or have no one to ride with due to sleds being in the shop. I have heard good things about the new motors tho, one of my customers owns a polaris shop and he claims not to many issues on the new one. Untill i know for sure tho ill stick with the m8.

Outta curiosity... how long do u guys let ur sleds warm up? I was shocked a little while ago. Watched this group of guys pull up, jump outta the truck spend 15 minutes getting dressed etc. Drop the ramp on trailer, pull the cord, and vroom vroom vroom vroom there goes all four of em wheelying outta the parking lot. It was cold out, not one of them sleds coulda been warmer than 30 degrees coolant temperature. Shockingly, I didn't see any of em sieze, loose tolerances maybe??

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

M

MATCO

Jan 2, 2010
edmonds, wa
I am on my 5th pro and have not had any engine failures. Knock, knock

I always let it warm up to at least 80-100F then easy for a half mile then let her have it. I don't ride trail any longer than I have to and never let it get over 180F.

I know this forum always talks about my buddies cousins friend had a engine blow up. But this is just my experience, not saying other people are not having failures.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
I am on my 5th pro and have not had any engine failures. Knock, knock

I always let it warm up to at least 80-100F then easy for a half mile then let her have it. I don't ride trail any longer than I have to and never let it get over 180F.

I know this forum always talks about my buddies cousins friend had a engine blow up. But this is just my experience, not saying other people are not having failures.

Matco: How many miles do you have on your sled and it looks like you are boosted and these motors seem to hold up better under boost with proper fueling compared to stock. The over all design off this engine is the main reason for failures but proper warm ups make a big improvement.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
I said yes, but the question is relative to what? Other two strokes I assume.

Here I go being a broken record....but I've got 3,100 flawless miles on mine (2012) with 800 since the long rod conversion.

I turned up my oiler to 40:1, broke it in properly and ALWAYS warm it up to temp before riding. I suspect many of the claimed failures are rooted in not following this protocol. In all fairness, there is an argument to be made for why a sled would require such babying.

Now, in the spirit of full disclosure, my LR upgrade happened at 2,285 miles and I had good compression, and only the faintest piston scuffing. BUT, I had serious wear on my primary crank gear and I would have lost my oil/water pump in another 300-500 miles.

So, I guess the question for me is 3,000 miles acceptable? For me that's a full tear down every other season. I would say yes.

Allterrain

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2010
Have had good luck with these engines, until now. I had a 2011 that now has 2500 miles on it problem free, all stock. Buddies have been through a few pros now, also no engine problems, all stock. My 2013 has 1230 miles on it and just got a new monoblock and pistons. I noticed it was pulling lower rpm a couple weeks ago so I checked the compression I got 110psi engine hot, throttle open. My 04 800 gets 125 with the same gauge. thought this was low, had the dealer check it out, they said wasn't a big deal, didn't see any problems through the exhaust valve holes. So I rode it hard for about 100 miles with 2 gram lighter weights, would only pull 7650rpm in soft snow by the end. Pulled the reeds, major scuffing on mag side. Dealer tore down and said a locating pin came out and a piece of the ring broke off, but stayed in the ring land. They showed me the cylinder, the mag side was obviously beat up, but the pto side also had one port that was really beat up. Anyway, I had thought about putting in aftermarket pistons, but really glad I let them do it under warranty as my cylinder was in bad shape. Probably ride it for a bit as is, but some proper pistons may be in the near future. Just now turned up my oiler, but had always added a little to the fuel before this.

M

mt.aero

Nov 14, 2011
Steamboat
Another blown motor here from over the weekend. 2011 800 Assault with roughly 3k miles and new top end this last fall. I ride it like a sled should be ridden, but it oddly blew while I was just putting around in the flats. Fully warmed up in the parking lot and running at operating temp maybe 1/3 throttle when it popped. My warmup procedure is to at least 90 degrees and let set for 5-10 to let the heat soak into the crank etc. Then warmup to 115ish and go. Will have to start tearing it down and figure out what happened. I take good care of this thing, but should have known better... most of these motors don't seem to last much over 3k.

Last edited:
R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Poo 800 POS

We lost a 12 Pro RMK 800 this last week end with 633 miles and the rod broke off going towards the piston and the rest of the rod that was still connected to the crank broke both case halfs.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
My motor went down yesterday at 850 miles. And my other sled went down in january at 1100 miles.

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
That really sucks, what year were your sleds? Warranty? Oilers turned up?

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Dear Customer,
To date, we have not had any motor issues. There are no engine failures or warranty claims and if there was, we have not heard about them.
Unfortunately, Snowest forum is full of imaginary and fake problems.
Even at a readership of over 100,000 sledders, we find the vast number number of forum readers do not, overall, represent real world Polaris snowmobile issues, if there are, in fact, any issues at all.
We are offering a new incentive to buy our new, improved 2016 models, even though we feel it was not necessary to improve on our motor. We are including the hit single, "Here's a quarter, call someone that cares" by Polaris paid representative, Travis Tritt.
Yours truly,
Polaris legal team, Terrain Domination, division of liberty engines, which is a LLC subsidiary of "the way out," which is represented by third party liability assurance, protected and copyrighted by Chinese patent law and falls under the international lemon laws in the country of West Africa.

Last edited:

prorideupper800

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2013
Upper Pennisula of Michigan
Will the Pro's Last

They will last as good or better than any of the other Human built machines we ride, today's pride in workman ship has alot to be desired along with build tolerances and production schedules. That's why more and more company's are going to slave Labor in Foreign Country's because the Stock holder wants the most for his dollar ( Corporate Greed at it's best). For every failure of the Pro 800 there are several in the doo pile including the Oiless Crank Bearing that are Guaranteed to fail between 3500 & 5000 miles , then theres the Cat's Quality Control worst set up sleds in the Industry, terrible Electronics also. If your gonna play your gonna pay.:noidea:

Premium Features