• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys vs Turbo Pro

C

CForest

Nov 23, 2010
Montana
I said the stance was the same, never said it was crappy? What I meant was its not like they went to a 36" stance on the axys. (As in a 36" stance kit on a pro makes an incredible difference.) As far as the shocks whats different about them? Apparently they have been valved better? I just see a lot of people talking about getting rid of the stock ones before they've even rode the axys, guys that didn't like the WE on the pro feel they won't on the axys either. I certainly agree on waiting a year, I'm in the same boat there.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
I said the stance was the same, never said it was crappy? What I meant was its not like they went to a 36" stance on the axys. (As in a 36" stance kit on a pro makes an incredible difference.) As far as the shocks whats different about them? Apparently they have been valved better? I just see a lot of people talking about getting rid of the stock ones before they've even rode the axys, guys that didn't like the WE on the pro feel they won't on the axys either. I certainly agree on waiting a year, I'm in the same boat there.

Functionally you are 100% right. I have confirmation the shock is identical to the previous Pros in terms of how the shock works though as Scott alluded to they are likely "totally different" (valving...spring rate etc)

To be honest I think we're all leaving a lot on the table note getting your stuff custom valved/aprung anyway. Considering what it costs its sort of a no brainer. Just make sure you have the right tuner do the work. Even if you have to buy a different spring rate the amount of performance gain you can get out of the "crappy" stock shocks is pretty damn good.

Disclaimer - I haven't ridden nearly as much nor as many setups as a number of you. But I do come from a world where suspension is even more important than sled world... I also have a really strong understanding of suspension technologies.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Care to elaborate on those big price quotes? Theres no way it will cost 5k to make a pro handle as well as a axys. Same crappy shocks, same stance front end, same skis etc. Not saying the axys isn't better, cause there is no doubt it is, but 5k is quite an exaggeration. And as far as the turbo goes it depends on how far you want to take it. Lots of good used kits laying around, and as I stated before good end of season deals. Can be done for much less than 5k if wanted just depends on what else a guy wants to put with it. Resale values are certainly something to consider as well.

Skinz Airloc Boards -1500$
Skinz Front end and floats 2300$
Floats for rear - 1500$

You are missing one big thing. The Axys GAINS RIDE HEIGHT! The only way you are going to gain that is with the parts I have listed. I will say it again, and again, the "snowmobility" of this set up is amazing. Other than buying the Skinz parts, the only way to get it is buy a new Axys.

Ok.. just a few words of wisdom, that I have learned the hard way. A sled that handles is better than a sled that just makes gobbs of power. Once the Axys hits the snow, you will find out, stock vs stock chasis. The Axys will walk through the deep snow better or comparable to a turbo Pro.

Lets add it up once.

1.) your going to go buy a new carry over 9000$
2.) turbo kit. sorry, if you buy a used kit, you better know what you are doing or go through it with a fine tooth comb, or it will leave you at the trailer. BTW, I have rode and built turbos for almost 20 years. This is a $7000-8000 bill all day long, if you want to do it right. That's even if you find a nice used kit.
3.) Suspension. If your going to do a turbo, you better do the suspension. Arc, coupled skid, shocks. Turbo is lipstick on a pig if you don't have a good suspension.

So after you spend all this money, first time you pull the sled out of the trailer it will be worth 8-10,000. Financially, it just doesn't make sense.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
if you aren't going the new chasis and want a pro. Why are you getting a different sled???? This just kind of hit me. What's the point?

D

Dabull

Nov 26, 2007
utah
Axys. Been there done that. Sick of wasting time / riding days trying to fix or tune a boosted sled, sick of messing with programmers. Gas, Oil, and pull the rope and have fun. New stock sleds will go anywhere. Get the turbo if you want to climb shutes all day. Eric

What he said. Pull and go Axys all the way for me ?

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
Well given the down turn of the pro resale there are some screaming deals to be had.

I Picked up a 14 163 pro with a PG Vohk boondocker kit for quite a sweet deal once I factor in all the extras, did I mention it has less than 100 miles on it. That kind of deal made it easy to hold off on axys for a year and perhaps the pro will regain some of its sale ability back after the rush has died down, maybe not.

In the meantime I'll ride the turbo or my 15 Assualt, not a bad choice to have to make.

Maybe someone who buys an Axys won't like it and we'll trade, can't hurt to dream!

Last edited:
S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
You know what's friggen hilarious.

Stock pro with Skinz suspension set up and Airlocs. vs Pro and stock suspension with Silber turbo.

In 2' of pow, the stock Skinz sled walked by the Silber turbo where it was stuck. Now that was funny to watch!!!

Don't under estimate the ride height and suspension changes.

Last edited:
A
Mar 14, 2011
Saskatoon, SK
Well given the down turn of the pro resale there are some screaming deals to be had.

I Picked up a 14 163 pro with a PG Vohk boondocker kit for under 9k, did I mention it has less than 100 miles on it. That kind of deal made it easy to hold off on axys for a year and perhaps the pro will regain some of its sale ability back after the rush has died down, maybe not.

In the meantime I'll ride the turbo or my 15 Assualt, not a bad choice to have to make.

Maybe someone who buys an Axys won't like it and we'll trade, can't hurt to dream!

I agree with this post. If you want to make a financially smart decision, buy a nice used turbo Pro or a new Axys Pro. You'll lose the least on resale with these options.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
TURBO! All this " I don't want to spend my days tuning, wrenching, etc" is just not the case anymore. I have a silber on my 2011 and I've put one set of reeds in it in four years !its gas and go . The newer kits are even more simple bolt on and go. I think the perception that they are trouble and a lot of work is often self inflicted.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
TURBO! All this " I don't want to spend my days tuning, wrenching, etc" is just not the case anymore. I have a silber on my 2011 and I've put one set of reeds in it in four years !its gas and go . The newer kits are even more simple bolt on and go. I think the perception that they are trouble and a lot of work is often self inflicted.

So far I've found the same to be true. Only issue is dialing clutching (as everyone wants something different) in so long as you put the thing on right.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
You know what's friggen hilarious.

Stock pro with Skinz suspension set up and Airlocs. vs Pro and stock suspension with Silber turbo.

In 2' of pow, the stock Skinz sled walked by the Silber turbo where it was stuck. Now that was funny to watch!!!

Don't under estimate the ride height and suspension changes.

So what you are saying is that you weren't speculating... You watched it happen.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
Same rider abilities on the skinz pro vs silber turbo pro? Maybe so but I have a hard time believing it. Also, I've done 5 turbo pro's over the last several years and none have come out to $7-8000 as you mentioned. Of those 5 I had issues with one, the last 3 have been pretty darn good. I just installed one for a buddy. He flew out basically the next day and rode it for 13 days straight, only a slight clutching change along the way. I know its 13 days not a season but they really have come a LONG ways in the last few years. This is on a silber reflash set up, I wouldn't have confidently been able to do that 3 years ago. To each there own but I'll have a turbo pro next season still. I'd like an Axys, but the Turbo Pro does some very impressive things and giving the Axys a year for teething doesn't sound like a bad idea... If I were riding stock sleds I'd probably jump to the Axys though. Just be glad we have these great choices to make!

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Same rider abilities on the skinz pro vs silber turbo pro? Maybe so but I have a hard time believing it. Also, I've done 5 turbo pro's over the last several years and none have come out to $7-8000 as you mentioned. Of those 5 I had issues with one, the last 3 have been pretty darn good. I just installed one for a buddy. He flew out basically the next day and rode it for 13 days straight, only a slight clutching change along the way. I know its 13 days not a season but they really have come a LONG ways in the last few years. This is on a silber reflash set up, I wouldn't have confidently been able to do that 3 years ago. To each there own but I'll have a turbo pro next season still. I'd like an Axys, but the Turbo Pro does some very impressive things and giving the Axys a year for teething doesn't sound like a bad idea... If I were riding stock sleds I'd probably jump to the Axys though. Just be glad we have these great choices to make!

I have no patience to wait. :)
New axys on order.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I have a question for all you guy with the turn key, gas-n-go turbos. How many days a season are you riding? We all know this year sucked so I'm talking about a normal year. Yesterday was day #35 for the year and pending a storm I'm done. A normal season I would be around 50 days.
There are several turbo sleds in my area and we never ride with those guys because one of them is either limping out or getting towed out damn near every weekend.
You guys say there are no issues with them but thats just not what I'm seeing. Eric

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
This year has been bad but I'm around 25 days. Hopefully more to come still but we'll see. (my sled did 13 straight as well, only issues were suspension related but repaired at night and ripping the next day) I'm pretty hard on things as well. Last year i was in the mid 40's. If I'm limping out its usually from something I caused. (Sheared the bolts to the front shock cross shaft twice this year, broke an anti stab kit, and other assorted non turbo issues)

There is some maintenance. I usually break a primary clutch spring or 3 in a season, haven't had to do reeds mid season yet but check them prior to season for sure. Usually exhaust donuts at the beginning of season as well. Keep an eye on weight bushings, seems like the heavier turbo weights go through them faster than a 58gram weight. General clutch maintenance seems up compared to a stocker to me, but totally worth the smiles this thing puts on my face. Even if the airlok setup has better SNOWMOBILITY or whatever you guys call it I can guarantee I'm laughing in my helmet more then the Skinz equipped sled and for me the fun factor is what is all about...

Premium Features