• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Just Bought New Ram Half Ton Diesel!!!!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Cool truck. I really like the electronic transmission. It's about time the US makers started getting rid of that clunky auto gear leaver that doesn't need to be there. I don't like the short, short box. I think it looks a little small but it is a half ton. Nothing a good set a wheels and tires would fix up. Congrats

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
Just thought I'd give a little update. Went on the first real highway drive with it this weekend. Cruise set at 75 for 218 miles running against a really hard 25-30mph head wind got me 22.8 hand calc. Coming back at the same 75mph the next day but with a slight tailwind maybe 5-10mph I got 28.9 hand calc. Right now I have about 1100 miles total on it and its used almost no def yet either. 2 gallons maybe based on the gauge. So far so good.

Couple other side notes about driving this truck so far. I don't think this truck would have been possible just a few years ago. I think with the fairly low power output it needs the 8 speed tranny to make it enjoyable to drive. In 8th gear going 75 the motor is almost right at its peak torque so it never once downshifted at that speed. Overall it has a very dmax allison feel to it.

Last edited:

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
That mileage is the reason just about every car made in Europe has an optional diesel engine offered, to bad they aren't available here. And I'm a gas engine guy.

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
My dad bought an Eco diesel a couple months ago. Seeing 21-23mpg hand calculated every day driving. Set the cruise at 65 and the instant economy shows 28-30 depending on conditions. Would like to drive a long distance at that speed to see the average though. Pulled a bumper pull flatbed a couple hundred miles into South Dakota to pick up a 2020 John Deere tractor (utility size machine) and got a 14mpg average on the trip, certainly not short on power. He also got the air suspension which works like an absolute dream, only downfall is it's not compatible with a hide-away fifth wheel ball. Nice driving pickup, just not my cup of tea I guess. For someone who wants the power and retain half ton comfort it's perfect, but we've got 3 1 ton dodge diesels around so it's maybe a little unnecessary, but still gets way better mileage than the 06 gmc 1500 he traded for it and the 13 gmc 1500 my mom drives. Take the good with the bad. Everyone has a preference. I'll keep my cummins around because I enjoy it and still need to pull heavy equipment. People don't all buy vehicles for the same reasons. I wish the Eco diesel was available with a long box. That would be a big selling point I think. There's a big market there that doesn't need or care about the capacity of the bigger pickups but still wants more than the average half ton can offer. This is the beginning of a new market. I think the Eco boost will shortly be booted for something diesel and GM will have to jump in eventually.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I think the Eco boost will shortly be booted for something diesel and GM will have to jump in eventually.

What would help the ecoboost is a piston oil squirter to help keep piston temps down. Currently it over injects fuel to cool down cylinder temps. So when you get into the boost the temps go up and fuel economy goes down.

I'm curious to see what GM does. GM helped develop this motor with Chrysler and planned on using it in their ATS. They have since sold off their 50% ownership of VM Motori to Fiat and it appears they are going to be using Isuzu for future development. There are already plans for the 2.8L Duramax to go into the Canyon/Colorado in early 2016. GM has a 4.5l Duramax that would fit perfectly into their 1500 series. I haven't been able to find anything really backing it up but there was a rumor circling that the engine sticker under the hood of 2014 1500's gave away that a diesel is planned.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Just like everyone else, I too would like to see more diesel motors in all vehicles. GM needs a smaller truck diesel motor (not the 2.8) for applications like 1/2 tons and suburbans. With lighter weight trailers out there I could go for a 1/2 ton diesel truck. If it weren't for our overly eco oriented government that kills diesels!

J

Jeff800

Dec 2, 2007
Washington
So you turn a knob to select a gear? Nice looking but I still can't get over the pricing for new rigs it's crazy.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
So you turn a knob to select a gear? Nice looking but I still can't get over the pricing for new rigs it's crazy.

Yes. Took me about a week to get used to it but now it seems perfectly normal. The operation is silky smooth too. Not like a cable type linkage at all.

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
Debadged the back and the sides but had to leave the eco diesel badge on. First couple tanks averaged around 10L/100 k but has improved. Best so far is 8.9L/100 km. The computer mileage is off by about .3L/100 km. hand calculated is consistily better. Which is usually the other way, have checked the speedo with a GPS and it's within 1 km/h. The fuel savings have been unreal for me.

image.jpg

WileyCoyote

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Hey if anyone gets one of these, and tows a 4 place enclosed or a 18'-21' toy hauler up a mountain pass. Let us know your opinion. Mpg, speed , how it felt pulling etc thanks

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
Hey if anyone gets one of these, and tows a 4 place enclosed or a 18'-21' toy hauler up a mountain pass. Let us know your opinion. Mpg, speed , how it felt pulling etc thanks

I'm moving to denver in October which is part of the reason I got one. I'll keep everyone posted as the sleds start getting pulled around.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I'm also curious about the air ride suspension.

Does it limit payload?
Is it adjustable for highway versus off-road driving?
Does it improve mileage enough in the "slammed" position to notice?
Does it decrease the towing capability?

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
I'm also curious about the air ride suspension.

Does it limit payload? Doesn't affect payload
Is it adjustable for highway versus off-road driving? Yes it has 3 manually adjustable settings but also has several automatically adjustable settings.
Does it improve mileage enough in the "slammed" position to notice? I would say yes because when I leveled my truck I think it lost about 1MPG. So an inch down is probably worth something.
Does it decrease the towing capability? No.

My truck doesn't have the air ride but I answered since I read up about it before I bought it. I wish mine had it but dealer stock was limited.

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
I'm only adding this as comparision...

I have a 14 Ram 2500 CTD Mega Cab. Heavy truck. New front and rear suspensions in it for 14. I had a 10 with the 6.7L before in a 3500 CTD Mega Cab. It was deleted and had a Mini Maxx on it set to about +70hp. I don't drive stuff overly hard. On most days, a 40/60 split of city and highway, empty, I could net about 13-13.5L/100km or about 18mpg.

14 with DEF, no deletes, runs a lot better. Little weaker on the bottom end, but fuel wise runs a consistent 12 L/100km or close to 20mpg. On a few long highway trips, I've seen low 10 L/100km averages (23.5 mpg).

8-9 L/100km is fantastic. We have a 08 Jeep GC with the 3.0L Mercedes and it is a little shy of 30mpg plus it's lighter.

I know a few people who have the air suspension up here in Sask. It gave them greif in winter. It didn't seem like the system liked extreme cold temperatures. Some challenges in holding air pressure at low temps. I'd still get it if I had the option on the bigger trucks.

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
That Mercedes 3.0L Diesel is a GREAT motor. It's used all over the place. Lots of snowcats use that motor.

It is..but you never want to replace one direct from Chrysler...I looked a few years ago while at a dealership...replacement long block is about $47K...yup...$47,000...

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I would light my vehicle on fire and let insurance come to the party before ever considering even 1/2 that price lol

Premium Features