• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1999 Mountain Max 700 mods

N
Jan 12, 2015
Nebraska
Hey guys I have a few questions for you. I'm looking at sticking a little bit of money in my mountain max.

I want to extend the track. I've looked into doing a skid swap but just don't have the time. So I thought about doing a heartman 156" or a 159" mpi. I don't know which one would be better.

I'm also wanting to add reed spacers and boyesen reeds.

Now for another question. Haha. I've come across a good deal on an oem srx 700 triple pipes and was wondering if it would give my mountain max any horse power gain? Right now I just have an mbrp race can.

I have read tons of threads but haven't read exactly what I'm wanting to know. So any advise would be great! Thanks in advance!

Ps. If my sled sits for awhile and its worse when its cold it seriously takes two people to pull start it. I haven't put a compression test to it but its almost impossible to start cold yourself. Once its warmed up its easy to start and it runs perfect. It has 4,000 miles and the only mods I've done to it the sled is put an auto altitude adjuster and studded the track.

Pps. When I start to take off, the sled feels like its lurching? You can't feel it if your going fast or crack the throttle. Its only when you you just start taking off. I haven't inspected the belt yet but its not that old it was replaced a couple years ago. The sled sits almost all year round except for when we get a freak storm or if I'm starting it to let run to keep things lubed. I didn't even get it out last season. I'm rambling... If you guys have any knowledge to add please do. Thanks again.

Last edited:
T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Hey guys I have a few questions for you. I'm looking at sticking a little bit of money in my mountain max. I just want to say yes I know its old and out-dated but my grandpa bought it for me many years ago and its been an awesome sled. Its mainly a ditch banger but I have taken it to spearfish canyon and would like to go more often. Anyway, there is a few things I'm wanting to get some feedback on.*

I want to extend the track. I've looked into doing a skid swap but just don't have the time. So I thought about doing a heartman 156" or a 159" mpi. I don't know which one would be better.

I'm also wanting to add reed spacers and boyesen reeds.

Now for another question. Haha. I've come across a good deal on an oem srx 700 triple pipes and was wondering if it would give my mountain max any horse power gain? Right now I just have an mbrp race can.

Edit: I just checked Tracks usa and they have that series 4 track still for a pretty good price.

I have read tons of threads but haven't read exactly what I'm wanting to know. So any advise would be great! Thanks in advance!

Ps. If my sled sits for awhile and its worse when its cold it seriously takes two people to pull start it. I haven't put a compression test to it but its almost impossible to start cold yourself. Once its warmed up its easy to start and it runs perfect. It has 4,000 miles and the only mods I've done to it the sled is put an auto altitude adjuster and studded the track.

Pps. When I start to take off, the sled feels like its lurching? You can't feel it if your going fast or crack the throttle. Its only when you you just start taking off. I haven't inspected the belt yet but its not that old it was replaced a couple years ago. The sled sits almost all year round except for when we get a freak storm or if I'm starting it to let run to keep things lubed. I didn't even get it out last season. I'm rambling... If you guys have any knowledge to add please do. Thanks again.

Nothing wrong with putting money into the Mountain Max. I have two with some work done on them and also a MSRX with some work done to it.

First off the pipes off an SRX will not work on the Mountain Max. The MM has the red head motor and the SRX has the blue head with the power valves. Much different setup between the two.

I would find a good deal on a track and then decide which kit to do. If you can find a better deal on a certain size then do it. I put a 159 Series 4 track that I got new for 250 bucks a while back that works really well. I also put a 153 M series skid in that sled also and it works really well. The SRX has the 156 and it is not bad either.

Sounds like you could use a good cleaning of the carbs also to help with your running issues.

Sometimes when the rings get gummed up with oil they can be really hard to pull when cold. Try turning the choke on before you shut it off at the end of your ride till the engine starts to load up and often times that will help loosen up the rings for the next time you start it.

Last edited:

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Hartman is good source of info and parts he won't steer you wrong. I have bought parts from both. If you do reeds ask Hartman if he has any boost bottles left it realy wakes up midrange. One cheap upgrade is to pull head check how many head gaskets it has three from factory. I only ran run one until I big bored it. Skid relocation helps also Hartman can help with specs. Drive axels were weak you should have updated one by know old one should have split into with those miles.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Lots of cheap things you can do to those sleds. Head gasket is one, reed spacers work good, you can also modify the stock reed cage by bending the reed stoppers to get them to open farther. Boost bottle was a good add on but I never had good results doing any of the mods to the air box. Many of the cans on the market actually lost HP, a good set of triple pipes were Bender racing and Power INC. The pipes will add about 20hp. I ran a 151 track on mine and was happy with it. I extended the stock rails, upgraded the shocks and then removed the transfer rods and put in a rear limiter strap.

Sounds like your belt has a chunk missing from it. If you let it sit around that much it would be a good idea to let it warm up and then run it on a run stand to allow the drive belt and track to warm up. Eric

N
Jan 12, 2015
Nebraska
Thanks guys for help. I will try to change the belt. Maybe ill try and clean her up with a little sea foam. Does anyone have a boost bottle for sale? I did a quick search and didn't come up with much.

N
Jan 12, 2015
Nebraska
Nothing wrong with putting money into the Mountain Max. I have two with some work done on them and also a MSRX with some work done to it.

First off the pipes off an SRX will not work on the Mountain Max. The MM has the red head motor and the SRX has the blue head with the power valves. Much different setup between the two.

I would find a good deal on a track and then decide which kit to do. If you can find a better deal on a certain size then do it. I put a 159 Series 4 track that I got new for 250 bucks a while back that works really well. I also put a 153 M series skid in that sled also and it works really well. The SRX has the 156 and it is not bad either.

Sounds like you could use a good cleaning of the carbs also to help with your running issues.

Sometimes when the rings get gummed up with oil they can be really hard to pull when cold. Try turning the choke on before you shut it off at the end of your ride till the engine starts to load up and often times that will help loosen up the rings for the next time you start it.

Is there much to modify to put an srx skid on or is it a direct bolt on?

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
i ran slp pipes & power inc ,the power inc makes a little better top end but the slp pipe were more consistant day to day.boyson reeds worked great for me too.you can find lots of good used parts for them & my max was over 10000km last i saw it & know of a bunch of other ones with same milage.

J
Feb 3, 2013
Caldwell ID
Although a bit heavy these are great sleds, they don't seem to ever die. I have a set of reeds I would sell if you want them, but I never ran spacers. I also have a few belts if you are in need of any.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I forgot to say also the reeds are a very good addition but mine didn't work well with spacers. I think spacers are designed more as an upgrade for stock reed valves.

Srx skid is basically the same so there really is no advantage to it.

I know you said you didn't want to do a skid swap but if you ciuld find a deal on an m series skid like I did it makes a huge difference. The cat skid bolts in very easily and it drops about 40 lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I didn't change anything at all on mine to put the cat skid in. I had to move the front arm mounting point just a little but the rear drop brackets had a hole on the back if the bracket that was in the right spot for the rear arm.

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Carbon tech reeds and spacers work well together. Work w/ pipes or stock exhaust and can. Love the BRtech Thrasher hood I stuck on the old Max. Heat tape is necessary if piped.

I have two 162 maverick tracks, little chewed up but not bad. If you get 3" drivers, I'd send you one for the price of shipping. Saving the other for mine for when my boy gets a little older and change it from the 141.

N
Jan 12, 2015
Nebraska
Would a 162" From 05 AC m7 be a good candidate? And also will that work with that maverick track? Also is my stock MM going to be able to turn a track that size until I get it triple piped? I want to do the reeds right away and possibly a boost bottle if I can find good deal on one.

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
SLP pipes and clutching from them or MPI will set you free! I sold a tricked out mm that still kicks my arse on my stock apex !!!

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I would not do bigger track till the pipes are done. My 97 was piped with reeds but otherwise stock and it was a pretty fun sled unless the snow was really deep.

reignman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2009
Boise, id
I would do the track first. Hartman's kit moves back the original suspension and changes the approach angle. This makes it great in the powder.
Buy after market reeds that replaced the oem reeds, they are a lot cheaper than replacing the whole reed cage. Keep in mind, when you add pipes you will have to do the clutch. Make sure the clutches are setup right.... adding a rivet or two is not the right way.

The weak spots:
1. Steering post where the handle bars connect.
2. The drive shaft will break, especially with extra h.p. added.
3. The top end will need to be rebuilt around 4.5k miles.

I bought my '97 with only 900 miles on it... now I has over 8.5k miles on it.
151" series 4.
lowered gearing in chain chase
5" risers.
750 big bore
ported
custom tuning on the carbs.
slp pipes
Custom clutching
reeds
boost bottle
gutted air box
works shocks front and rear

good luck....r

N
Jan 12, 2015
Nebraska
Gotcha. I'll just start building a parts pile until I've got everything I want. I think I've found a 159" skid. Just going to start here, does anyone have a 159x2x15 2.52 pitch tracks?

N
Jan 12, 2015
Nebraska
I would do the track first. Hartman's kit moves back the original suspension and changes the approach angle. This makes it great in the powder.
Buy after market reeds that replaced the oem reeds, they are a lot cheaper than replacing the whole reed cage. Keep in mind, when you add pipes you will have to do the clutch. Make sure the clutches are setup right.... adding a rivet or two is not the right way.

The weak spots:
1. Steering post where the handle bars connect.
2. The drive shaft will break, especially with extra h.p. added.
3. The top end will need to be rebuilt around 4.5k miles.

I bought my '97 with only 900 miles on it... now I has over 8.5k miles on it.
151" series 4.
lowered gearing in chain chase
5" risers.
750 big bore
ported
custom tuning on the carbs.
slp pipes
Custom clutching
reeds
boost bottle
gutted air box
works shocks front and rear

good luck....r

Thanks for the info and the heads up! A few years back I smacked a culvert and snapped my steering column and broke some other things. Got everything fixed except for the trailing arm and ski. That wasn't cheap. lol. I'm sure once I start digging in ill find more stuff to change or fix. And im sure ill be here asking my knowledge base lots of questions. Haha
Btw, where did you get your boost bottle from if you dont mind me asking?

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Gotcha. I'll just start building a parts pile until I've got everything I want. I think I've found a 159" skid. Just going to start here, does anyone have a 159x2x15 2.52 pitch tracks?

Tracks USA has the Series IV track in that exact size. Good price on it also.

What is the skid out of. It may be too long. The cat skid I am running a 159 with is only a 153 skid.

Premium Features