• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1998 Yamaha MM 700: changing speedometer cable: pics, info

B
Oct 26, 2012
Oly
Hi all,

I'm changing out my speedo cable on my MM700. Thought I would post as I go along.

Speedo stopped working, so opened the hood and took a look. Hookup on the backside of the gauges seemed ok. Pulled the connector off and the cable inside spun freely. hmmm...
Looking at the sheathing around the cable I found a significant 'kink' down by the primary clutch. Not sure how that happened.
(I bought the sled used, so fun...fun...fun...)
Pulled off the secondary and down to the speedo housing. Unscrewed the connector and the end pin seems ok....
Except that when I pulled out the cable, it came out in 2 parts!
So, ordering a new cable (part#:8CR-83550-10-00) and will put 'er in. I will post more pics once I get the cable and get 'er done.
:lol:

sled.jpg engine open.jpg hood speedo hookup.jpg clutch wo 2ndary.jpg speedohousing.jpg cable.jpg

J
Feb 3, 2013
Caldwell ID
You can get a universal cable at most any parts store as long as your housing is OK. It is important it get all the broken prices out so you can cut the new cable to the correct length.
These sleds ate and broke belts like they were free in the early days causing the speedo cables to be ripped out and damaged when belts shredded and broke. I often broke 2 or three belts per ride, the speedo seemed to be always broke.

B
Oct 26, 2012
Oly
Got the bearing repacked and the new speedo cable back on.
The original cable 'sleeve' was kinked enough in that spot so that the new cable wouldn't go in.
So.... I got another sleeve and it seems to work fine now.
Now...we just need some snow!
:becky:

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
I've replaced four of those in my mms and apex, heli mechanic that lives next to me said to get a hypo needle and poke the seal, grease away, but I got a new ride so I'm good for a while but that is what I'm gonna do from here on out after an epic tow, and Yamaha is usually your way back:):face-icon-small-win

reignman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2009
Boise, id
I own a '97 MM with 8k miles... plus many mods over the years.

Here are a few things that I had to replace due to issues:
reinforced the steering post
stator, which is a known issue... (mine died 40 miles from the truck)
drive shaft (It broke 100 yds from the truck)

They are great sleds...

Rb

( rebuild the top end around 4.5k miles....the skirt tends to break off)

reignman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2009
Boise, id
... I removed my bearing and popped out the plastic seal that is on the clutch side. I cleaned the grease out and then packed it like a truck wheel bearing...
I then pushed the seal back in.... I usually replace the bearing after I repack it several times thru out the last decade.

R

Premium Features