• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anybody running a turbo on '12 800cc @ Sea Level?

Mr. Pump Gas

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
What system, what boost levels? Pump Gas? Any issues, how is reliability? Are they finicky/inconsistent? What fuel system? I would like pump gas 8-10lbs if possible. Remember key words Sea Level, any guys have some real world run time? Email or PM me. shaynee@natchoice.net

Thanks Shayne

C

champyfz450

Jan 13, 2009
Fort McMurray
I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this shayne but u will not be running pump gas at 8-10lbs at sea level on a pro or any other 2 stroke for that matter. I highly doubt u would be able to run half those boost numbers at sea level. A low comp turbo head and a 3* timing key might allow u to run 5-6 lbs on pump, maybe a little more if your lucky. No matter what though you'll be playing with fire as there is never any guarantee of the octane level of the fuel u buy at the pump. Long story short, if you're going to turbo your sled, please put quality fuel in it. I hope this helps.

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
What system, what boost levels? Pump Gas? Any issues, how is reliability? Are they finicky/inconsistent? What fuel system? I would like pump gas 8-10lbs if possible. Remember key words Sea Level, any guys have some real world run time? Email or PM me. shaynee@natchoice.net

Thanks Shayne

hi,
we are running an hm aero 66 intercooled turbo kit at 6 lbs sea level and pulling 92 grams of weight......it is a monster, all that possible because of our vi-pec standalone plugin ECU.....we are in cooke city this week-end if you want to test drive. call me if needed.

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this shayne but u will not be running pump gas at 8-10lbs at sea level on a pro or any other 2 stroke for that matter
wrong
I highly doubt u would be able to run half those boost numbers at sea level
completely wrong
A low comp turbo head and a 3* timing key might allow u to run 5-6 lbs on pump, maybe a little more if your lucky
wrong
No matter what though you'll be playing with fire as there is never any guarantee of the octane level of the fuel u buy at the pump
well, with an agressive knock calibration and no too much timing you will be safe, very safe(proven already)
Long story short, if you're going to turbo your sled, please put quality fuel in it
same as previous.

for reference`in another post.
First of all, i would like to introduce myself, my name is sebastien and i am the tuner and developper of this vipec plug in ecu. I have never posted on this forum before but now i think it is time for me to clarify some things

like you, i do believe in math for 2 strokes or 4 strokes, a engine is an air pump, thats it!
for the injectors duty cycle, let me explain..

i decided to go to 43 psi because with the rising 1 to 1 fuel pressure regulator, we will have room for 15 psi with the stock fuel pump..

the stock fuel pump runs @ 58 psi, by dropping the fuel pressure to 43 psi, i know i will be able to use the good effects of the fpr without overloading the stock fuel pump and the charging system.
if you are not using a rising 1 to 1 fuel pressure regulator here is what happens

lets say you have 500ccm injectors at 58 psi end you are running 8 psi without fpr, that meens you get 58 psi - 8 psi = 50 psi real fuel pressure

now you got only 464,24 ccm injectors, that is way probably you are running out of fuel... as much you increase the boost, as much you decrease the injectors size if you are not running fpr

at high altitude, 7000 and over, you get around 75 kpa of absolute pressure, with a 6 psi spring in the hm turbo kit (aerocharger air to water intercooler), i was getting 115 kpa asolute at full boost, and i was using only 80% duty cycle to achieve the same air fuel ratio.

if you get the engine running perfectly normaly aspirated, then when it gets in boost, you wont have to increase the pulse width to get the same amount of fuel in the engine..

now i am at see level and with the same 6 psi spring, i get to 160 kpa absolute and i am still using the same injectors but i am close of 90% duty cycle, with the 2011 injectors that are smaller the 2012..

let me explain
here is the formula to calculate how much boost you will be able to run at high altitude with stock injectors..
160 kpa absolute @ see level - 75 kpa absolute at 7000 feets = 85 kpa of boost available

85 kpa x 0.14504 = 12,33 psi

that meens that you can run 12,33 psi at high altitude with no problems,
wAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACH5BAEAAF8ALAAAAAARABAAAAfOgF+CggMaKj9HIAaDjF8BIE0eIR8cLRQ8B40BDFYFAAsOEgQCEyOLgwweAgsyXa5dCgRYTwiCBkBbUq+7FUxKNoIMTllexV4QVcZePloDASwFSMpdRMoAQ1wIIgBXxgldGd4LHdnbCrvoXQTkATgYS+mvFQBRXF85EyTg6FBdDgIWMnEJIuDBhQQwurwoUSNCgxBUBAWYsqPBgx4XIEBwEYEABiGZCBmZUcTBA1gSGqSwoKHRgCQUUHwoUIDDiRsxGg0yQMPEhg06uKxgFAgAOw==

here is the REAL maximum for stock 2012 injectors
12.33 psi @ high altutude
8 psi @ sea level

i don't believe in using fuel to cool down the reeds valves, having a good intercooler system will save them, not fuel....

fuel requirement for a given horsepower is always directly related to brake specific fuel consumption, by getting the engine running efficient, you can drop the bsfc from .65 to .58 no problem even maybe .55, that meens that you can use less fuel for the same horsepower.
I am not telling i make a 350 jet a 500 jet, i am just using every drop of fuel efficiently

why our ecu is the best solution for turbo charged application

1. first of all, when installing the air box and the turbocharger, you will change the volumetric efficienty of the engine even when it runs normaly aspirated, i found that a 2 strokes engine is really responsive on exhaust back pressure and intake back pressure. that is why i had to re-tune the entire fuel map with no charge tube before thinking about boost..
the stock rmk was pulling 130 hp on the dyno, when we installed the turbo kit, without charge tube, the engine was pulling only 105 to 110 hp, this is why you have to get the engine running perfect without boost first, i don't see how it can be done with a piggyback.... everything is possible, but probably takes a lot more time...

2. the ignition as to be perfect on boost, that is why you need to retard the ignition when boost comes in, a piggy back usually only controls fuel, what about ignition???????
of curse you can rely on the knock control from the stock ecu, but everything changes when knock happens, the stock ecu will add fuel and back off the timing, you will reajust your piggyback and you have just started chasing your tale....again and again.

3. will it be hard to get it running with the vipec...
yes it is hard to get a 2 strokes turbocharged engine running perfeclty. that is why i am putting a lot of time on getting the base map as close as possible from perfection.
boost will be always boost, we all ready have some real good running turbocharged sled using our products, i don't think i will see a big difference between any turbo kit manufacturers, boost will always be boost, 6 psi is 6 psi.. the big difference between all turbo kits will be air charged temperture,

4. barometric compensation, we included the barometric pressure to the fuel equation, that meens that an engine running 8200 rpm per minute will have 8200 baro update a minute, if you go up or down a hill
i'm sure fueling will stay on target
wAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACH5BAEAAF8ALAAAAAARABAAAAfOgF+CggMaKj9HIAaDjF8BIE0eIR8cLRQ8B40BDFYFAAsOEgQCEyOLgwweAgsyXa5dCgRYTwiCBkBbUq+7FUxKNoIMTllexV4QVcZePloDASwFSMpdRMoAQ1wIIgBXxgldGd4LHdnbCrvoXQTkATgYS+mvFQBRXF85EyTg6FBdDgIWMnEJIuDBhQQwurwoUSNCgxBUBAWYsqPBgx4XIEBwEYEABiGZCBmZUcTBA1gSGqSwoKHRgCQUUHwoUIDDiRsxGg0yQMPEhg06uKxgFAgAOw==

5. we have the possibility to run staged injection, but i think it is best to maximize the stock injectors and then use the stagged injectors to help with the fueling. i think it is the best way to get the engine running clean,
i am not a great sled ridder for sure but i don't see how i could handle more power then 12 psi on those machines
my arms are dead right now lol

hope this post help and was not to long!!!!
sebastien
precision efi

I
Mar 8, 2011

Thanks Shayne

We have a 2011 Boondocker intercooled turbo pro in our group that I help set up. After some tuning it is currently running 6.5 - 7 lbs of boost with 2ish gallons of vp c12 mixed with 91 pump with ethanol. Elevation is 1100 to 3500 feet. It runs AWESOME. Started out with the 3 degree timing key but this past weekend removed it and its snappier and no det issues. Have never tried straight pump gas. Straight pump gas most likely can be done with that 3 degree key and a 4lb actuator. But to be honest the pro really didn't start dancing till it was boosting over 6lbs.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
As it pertains to the actual question at hand, yz450 makes a lot of good points, and I agree with what he said. At sea-level, you will not achieve 10 lbs boost on pump gas for all intensive purposes. You could decrease compression, and retard timing but that may not be enough. 6-7 lbs down low runs dang strong, and the power and response ends up being worth the extra fuel cost IMO. You may end up only having to mix minimal amounts of high octane, but I would run 100% 100ll or Race for the first few rides until you become familiar with the tuning, and runability of the setup.

Why does every thread turn into a sales pitch for precision?

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
As it pertains to the actual question at hand, yz450 makes a lot of good points, and I agree with what he said. At sea-level, you will not achieve 10 lbs boost on pump gas for all intensive purposes. You could decrease compression, and retard timing but that may not be enough. 6-7 lbs down low runs dang strong, and the power and response ends up being worth the extra fuel cost IMO. You may end up only having to mix minimal amounts of high octane, but I would run 100% 100ll or Race for the first few rides until you become familiar with the tuning, and runability of the setup.

Why does every thread turn into a sales pitch for precision?

No sales pitch at all... I don't get it. Just saying it is possible tO run at 8 lbs at sea level on premium 91 at sea level that's all.... Because we have full ignition, fueling ect.
Sorry if this has offended you.....

Mr. Pump Gas

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
Thanks for the info guys. I live in MI and I am used to running the 4 stroke turbos/superchargers in the 8-10lb range on pump gas. I usually like to put a few gallons of race gas in to be safe, however there are times I need to fill up and cant access race gas, at this time I will baby the sled and not go WTO throttle for any period of time.

I am most concerned about the driveability/reliability at sea-level along with the sled being responsive.

I am going to be ordering a '13 with belt drive. Not sure which sled to turbo, will the belt drive hold up to the extra power?

GoHiSK1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Melfort Saskatchewan
Belt drive + Turbo

Sure hope the belt drive will hold up as I will be turbo charging a 2013 Pro RMK
for next season .
I am using a Turbo on my 2012 Pro but only at altitude other then testing a home . [ just for the WOW factor ] and am using straight 100 LL AV gas.
I know I can probably mix 50/50 or so but with the price I pay for Av gas verses the HIGH price of British Columbia Premium I will stick with the 100 LL.

PRECISION E.F.I Your stand alone system has my caught my attention .
If you catch this post I would like to know if your system uses only the stock injectors on your Polaris Pro system ?

K

KON

Apr 18, 2010
I'm running a boondocker racegaskit at sealevel on straight pumpgas.. Running 10psi of boost but with a RKTek turbohead for sealevel.. Better throttle response, much boost and very good torque..
The clutching that came with the BD is almost spot on to run 8-9 psi of boost..

P

powerfuldodge

Jan 30, 2011
Fort Mcmurray
I'm running a silber kit on my 2012 800 SB. Only running 4.5 PSI , any more than tha my drivers are jumping..I can run this on pump gas no problem at all..But I always throw in a gallon or 2 of 114...Next season I'll be running 6PSI ,stock head, ported ..I'm running 700-1100FT.

C

champyfz450

Jan 13, 2009
Fort McMurray
I'm running a boondocker racegaskit at sealevel on straight pumpgas.. Running 10psi of boost but with a RKTek turbohead for sealevel.. Better throttle response, much boost and very good torque..
The clutching that came with the BD is almost spot on to run 8-9 psi of boost..

KON what is the octane rating on the pump gas you use?

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
Sure hope the belt drive will hold up as I will be turbo charging a 2013 Pro RMK
for next season .
I am using a Turbo on my 2012 Pro but only at altitude other then testing a home . [ just for the WOW factor ] and am using straight 100 LL AV gas.
I know I can probably mix 50/50 or so but with the price I pay for Av gas verses the HIGH price of British Columbia Premium I will stick with the 100 LL.

PRECISION E.F.I Your stand alone system has my caught my attention .
If you catch this post I would like to know if your system uses only the stock injectors on your Polaris Pro system ?
our ECU on my personal sled runs a hm turbo with intercooler and at 8 psi we run no extra injectors and 91 octan pump gas. the intercooler realy work well with charge temp around 40 degrees(help prevent detonation).other than that stock from a to z beside a base gasket shim(extra base gasket). running more octane when not necessary is making your sled"lazy" on the bottom end because the mixture is a bit more tough to ignite so you are loosing throttle respond, it is making a hugh difference to run avgas vs pump gas.

Last edited:
A

aus091

Dec 25, 2008
on my 2012 boondocker assault i can run 6-7 psi mixing 50/50 sunoco 112 and premium at 800 feet. I have an inner cooler on it but any less octane or more boost you'll run into det. At that elevation turning those boost numbers though its out of control.

K

KON

Apr 18, 2010
Okei, I just used the link I posted.. I guess you know more about fuel than me, we got 95RON and 98RON on the pumps :)
The racefuel in Norway costs almost 10$ pr liter.. (about 40$ pr gallon)
It's an expensive hobby, but the best hobby =)

Y

YamYboy

Apr 6, 2009
SC Wisconsin
I have a 2011 assault that I ride in wisconsin and michigan as well as outwest. 5 lbs is pushing it on 91 octane. I tried 91 but was going off the det light alot. I ran 75 percent race gas and was able to pull 9-10 lbs of boost. It was a wild animal. My personal advice is if you are going to run low elevation is to get a low compression head then run 91 octane.

YamYboy

A

aja636

Mar 6, 2009
New Jersey
To the guys that ran the lower compression heads, Did you notice any side effects, like a "lazier" motor? In the 4 stroke world unless you jump the timing up down in low RPMs you do loose some of the snap until the boost comes in.

I am another flat lander guy riding 800-2000 above sea level looking to turbo my Switchback 136" Pro-R 800. I am looking to keep low boost for trail riding 95% of the time, and then crank to High boost(what ever I can max out on running 116) for a race day here or there.

What would be the limit on 116 oct for my Altitude? 12-15lbs???

Also has anyone tried to add additional cooling or cooler thermostat to see if that helps with the DET coming on. I have had a few conversations with some different Polaris tuning guys that claim the Polaris 800 motor needs to have a better cooling system for performance mods for the sea level guys....Or if a Power Addiction Head would offer better cooling then the stock set up?? Charge temps, combustion chamber temps, Engine Temps, and octane fuel all play a big part of the boost limit.

AJ

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
To the guys that ran the lower compression heads, Did you notice any side effects, like a "lazier" motor? In the 4 stroke world unless you jump the timing up down in low RPMs you do loose some of the snap until the boost comes in.

I am another flat lander guy riding 800-2000 above sea level looking to turbo my Switchback 136" Pro-R 800. I am looking to keep low boost for trail riding 95% of the time, and then crank to High boost(what ever I can max out on running 116) for a race day here or there.

What would be the limit on 116 oct for my Altitude? 12-15lbs???

Also has anyone tried to add additional cooling or cooler thermostat to see if that helps with the DET coming on. I have had a few conversations with some different Polaris tuning guys that claim the Polaris 800 motor needs to have a better cooling system for performance mods for the sea level guys....Or if a Power Addiction Head would offer better cooling then the stock set up?? Charge temps, combustion chamber temps, Engine Temps, and octane fuel all play a big part of the boost limit.

AJ
Yes, there is a difference with the low compression head. I rode Yamyboy's sled when he had the low comp head on it and it kinda sucked in the low end. But, this was high elevation I'm talking about. I'm sure the problem wouldn't be quite as bad at sea level.
As far as max boost on C16, ya I'd bet you could do 12-15 for race days. Obviously, this would be experimental though. I'd bet at that kind of power level you are starting to push the limits of engine components though. 15psi at sealevel is what 20-21psi at high elevation. Not may people are doing that on 2 strokes.
A cool running motor or cool head certainly can't hurt the DET problem.

Premium Features