• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

AT TIres

sledslayer

Lifetime Membership
Apr 13, 2011
I like the looks of the ST Maxx for my pickup also. Please let us know how they work for you.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
I had duratracs on for a day or 2 on my 2014 Cummings. But they felt really spongey so I took them back and got a sat of nitro terra grappler G2s. Have been happy with them.

Just the opposite here.. Switched from Duratrac to TG G's last fall, decided I didn't need a tire with such an open tread design even though I got 60k out of the first set of Duratracs. The TG's seemed to do pretty good on the slick roads, never really had them in the mud, didn't get through the deeper/packed snow as good. This fall I went back to the Duratracs, they just had a more comfortable feel and seem to grip better IMO.
'11 Mega Cummins.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
another vote for cooper at3... got nearly 80k miles out of a set on my ram 1500... I did opt for the 10ply version and ran close to 80psi the whole time... I will be doing a set on my Ram Rebel as soon as the crappy factory toyo at2's wear out, which at this rate will be before 30k miles.

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
Any one try the Falkens AT3W?

Most reviews seem good and price is great.
I currently have Toyo RT's on 3500 Ram. look nice, quiet, but not the best in snow and not sure I'll get 35,000 miles. I preferred the Duratracs in snow.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I have had the BFG All-Terrains on my Ram 2500 for about a month now and what an incredible tire in the snow and ice. But what an insanely heavy feeling tire also. This will work perfect for me as a winter tire as they are great on the ice and snow and very quite going down the road. But I bet I lost 2 MPG with them (2012 Ram 2500 w/ 5.7 Hemi). For reference I'm running them in a 275/70/r17 size (stock was 265/70/r17). You could tell how heavy they felt the moment they were put on the truck. However, in icy conditions they are the best all terrain type tire I have ever used. But next spring I will pick-up a 2nd set of summer tires/wheels to put on to get my MPG back.

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
I have had the BFG All-Terrains on my Ram 2500 for about a month now and what an incredible tire in the snow and ice. But what an insanely heavy feeling tire also. This will work perfect for me as a winter tire as they are great on the ice and snow and very quite going down the road. But I bet I lost 2 MPG with them (2012 Ram 2500 w/ 5.7 Hemi). For reference I'm running them in a 275/70/r17 size (stock was 265/70/r17). You could tell how heavy they felt the moment they were put on the truck. However, in icy conditions they are the best all terrain type tire I have ever used. But next spring I will pick-up a 2nd set of summer tires/wheels to put on to get my MPG back.

Question: Is the loss of fuel economy due to the tires, winter fuel, or a combination of both? What do you typically see for a drop in fuel economy in the fall?

When I put my new (heavier) tires on I noticed a mpg change, but I never saw it going to winter blend of gas. I typically see a mile to mile and a half drop in the fall. This time I saw almost 2 mile drop. I'm contributing it too the change over in both fuel and tires in the same week/week and a half.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Question: Is the loss of fuel economy due to the tires, winter fuel, or a combination of both? What do you typically see for a drop in fuel economy in the fall?

When I put my new (heavier) tires on I noticed a mpg change, but I never saw it going to winter blend of gas. I typically see a mile to mile and a half drop in the fall. This time I saw almost 2 mile drop. I'm contributing it too the change over in both fuel and tires in the same week/week and a half.

When I made the tire swap I was comparing the previous two tanks of fuel for city driving vs the first two with the new tires. I only had two tanks of city driving (about 10 tanks hwy driving) before I put the new tires on the new to me truck. The weather was the same at the time (highs in the 50 to 60 range still) for all 4 tanks as I swapped them before we got cold here as the old tires needed to be replaced so I ended up putting on the "winter" tires early. This is a new to me truck about 6 weeks ago so I don't have a full season worth of numbers yet. One thing I just thought of though was the old tires were a 265/70/r17 and the new ones are a 275/70/r17. So there is a size difference to them. The old tires were the Micky Thompson MTZ and were half wore down.

The tire change was the only thing changed at the time and you notice from the start the truck pulls harder in getting going the moment these tires are put on. I would think the MTZ had a harder tread compound then the BFG all terrain does, but that is a guess by how the truck feels with them on.

I had read before I got these tires that they pull a bit harder on the gassers and you lose some mpg with them but the traction advantage far outweighs that for winter time use. But in the summer the most off road my trucks sees is the occasional dirt road or farm field access road so I can run a much more street focus tire.

As far as summer vs winter mpg that hard for me to figure if not on a trip as I love to use the remote start a lot on the winter around home. So the only tanks I use for comparison purpose are tanks where that was not used to try and keep the numbers as similar as possible.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
I'd guess my winter fuel mpg loss is 1-3 mpg, depending on what I'm doing. Not to mention how you can feel it under the foot. The heavier I tow, the worse it is. I can track it on the DIC, see that it's lower on the exact same roads, and know how it will net out to hand calculated. The loss is real. #1 just doesn't have the BTU's as #2 ULSD. Additive is usually Stanadyne Performance. Oh, and same tires, Revo 2s.

J
Nov 11, 2008
Idaho
A quick update on the ST Maxx’s now that I have a couple hundred miles on them. They are very squirmy and the truck tends to wander quite a bit, particularly at higher speeds and under windy conditions. I pulled our horse trailer on the freeway and the movement in the backend was downright scary when passing semi’s. Is this normal with new tires? I’ve read they will “break-in” after ~500 miles??? They are also bit slow to respond.

The tire shop set the fronts at 55 psi and the rears at 80 psi. I’ve read that 40-45 psi may be better for long-term wear. Any suggestions on what pressure to run?

So far, they are very quiet, even at high speeds and have had great traction in dry weather, rain, 3” of snow, and ice.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
No need for that kind of pressure in the rear of the truck unless you're hauling some serious weight.
Idk what size, but the larger the tire the lesser the pressure. 33" ish tires, 35-40 psi rear empty truck, especially in winter for better traction. I run around 45 summer.
Go up from that with more weight.
40 psi empty, 45-50 hauling my trailers w 5-800lbs tongue weight, up to 80 psi when I have my 4000 lb camper in the back.
55 front is what I run in my diesel. Less in my gasser.
This is for 275-295 size tires on a diesel crew cab.

J
Nov 11, 2008
Idaho
No need for that kind of pressure in the rear of the truck unless you're hauling some serious weight.
Idk what size, but the larger the tire the lesser the pressure. 33" ish tires, 35-40 psi rear empty truck, especially in winter for better traction. I run around 45 summer.
Go up from that with more weight.
40 psi empty, 45-50 hauling my trailers w 5-800lbs tongue weight, up to 80 psi when I have my 4000 lb camper in the back.
55 front is what I run in my diesel. Less in my gasser.
This is for 275-295 size tires on a diesel crew cab.

Thanks. These are 285/75/16 on an F250 crew cab gasser. I'll try lowering to 40-45 psi front and rear to see if that helps. I should also mention that I had an alignment done when the tires were mounted.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I had the ST Maxx in a 255/80-17 E rated on my F150 and ran 40-45 psi. They felt a bit "looser" than the 265/70-17 E rated's that I pulled off but just figured it was due to the taller sidewall. They either broke in after a short while or I got used to them.

mortelec

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2011
Crosslake, MN
Currently have Duratracs on my HD and personally think they are the best tire I've had for snow traction. The noise is very minimal and they feel really stable on the highway. I had Cooper STT Pro on the last truck I traded in and were a little noisy and didn't seem very stable on the highway to me. The Duratracs did hurt my mileage by 2-3 mpg. I need to keep at least 58 psi in them to keep the TPMS from going off but the higher pressure seems to ride fine. I will be putting them on again.

Premium Features