• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adding oil to gas tank

R
Sep 8, 2013
Interior Alaska
the quest for using less oil is required by EPA , I think. by passing rules like they have a Yellowstone the OEM try to break new ground every year on getting the MAX out of there product and the min to the in terms of foot print. Husqvarna has the same problem with running 50:1 in there XP line of high end saws , they want more oil then is suggested in the owners manual but can live (maybe not as long) with a 50:1 ratio of good oils. Its been proven many times that more oil will produce more power but Big Brother wants less so WHO is looseing out..... That would be you and me! WHo asked for MBTE to be put in the gas ......EPA , that was a good idea wasn't it!

Rant over

the good time about the pro, is the oiler is progressive, extra oil makes more power, but throttle response is lost a little bit, with the pro you can have throttle response and good top end power

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
CFI 2s inject fuel in the transfer ports, little to none of the fuel/oil mix is hitting the crank. You can't oil pump delete a CFI 2, as a result.

A

AK IQ Pilot

Dec 29, 2007
CFI 2s inject fuel in the transfer ports, little to none of the fuel/oil mix is hitting the crank. You can't oil pump delete a CFI 2, as a result.

Exactly. You are correct. The piston below the ring sees no significant lubrication from oil added to the fuel.

Last edited:
A

AK IQ Pilot

Dec 29, 2007
(This comment below is only right if you have a direct injection engine like a skidoo, but we ride Polaris here. The injector sprays right into the case so adding oil on a Polaris works)

On CFI 2 motors the fuel injector is spraying fuel into the transfer port. None of the fuel goes anywhere close to the cases.

A

AK IQ Pilot

Dec 29, 2007
thats true, but i just wanted to point that out, some guys still think the pro motor has 4 injectors...lol

Yep. The injectors on the CF2 motor is in the boost port like you are saying. I tried to simplify it by saying the transfer port.

IMO cranking up the oil pump to almost maximum is a smart move with these newer Poo motors. The extra oil usage is an inexpensive alternative to a helicopter ride out of the back country.

My Son in Law and I both have 13's both with the same basic mileage, about 1000. My oil pump is cranked up 3.5 turns from stock, his is cranked up 2 turns from stock. On a moderate ride I use about 10% more oil than he does. On a deep snow WOT day I use 30% more oil than he does. The extra 1.5 turns on the pump makes a big difference when you are WOT all day.

My average fuel/oil ratio on a moderate day is about 45:1. On a deep snow day it's about 30:1. I check it virtually every fill up.

R
Sep 8, 2013
Interior Alaska
Yep. The injectors on the CF2 motor is in the boost port like you are saying. I tried to simplify it by saying the transfer port.

IMO cranking up the oil pump to almost maximum is a smart move with these newer Poo motors. The extra oil usage is an inexpensive alternative to a helicopter ride out of the back country.

My Son in Law and I both have 13's both with the same basic mileage, about 1000. My oil pump is cranked up 3.5 turns from stock, his is cranked up 2 turns from stock. On a moderate ride I use about 10% more oil than he does. On a deep snow WOT day I use 30% more oil than he does. The extra 1.5 turns on the pump makes a big difference when you are WOT all day.

My average fuel/oil ratio on a moderate day is about 45:1. On a deep snow day it's about 30:1. I check it virtually every fill up.

with the way knnneeeeeel was driving them i think it would be a good idea to add some reinforcement on the chassis too...lol

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
Okay to re-focus the topic.............

So what has bee said in this thread so far:

“ oil in the gas does nothing for the piston or cylinders” Really why is that, is atomized oil from an injector no longer a lubricant like it is from a carb jet? Carb jets have been spraying a gas oil mix into combustion chambers for years as the primary piston and cylinder lubrication method.

Oil in the gas leans the mixture because a smaller proportion of gas emits from the injectors due to the oil in the mix. That makes sense for a “lean definition” but has anyone examined plugs with and without oil in the gas to determine the burn? Examining plug deposits has been a tried and true method of determining proper burn rates and combustion chamber temps on 2 stroke engines for years. I would like to see some real info/data to either show that the oil in the gas either leans the mixture and therefore is harmful, or has some benefit .

If oil in the gas has some benefit what is it? How much oil in the gas has benefit, and how much would be too much and how do you prove or defend your conclusions?

This has been a good discussion so far, but let’s keep it focused on the topic please. I would like this discussion to prove or dis-prove the advantage of using gas in the oil. Many guys on this forum have said they add oil to the gas because lot's of other guys do it. Let's see if we can do better than that.

Last edited:
M

Mech Engr

Sep 27, 2010
Mountains
oil in gas

I bought a 2012 800 Pro new in August and its still has zero miles on it. The tank is premixed with semi-sythetic as Polaris reccomends. Sorry to get a little off topic but...

A lot of people on the forum say to turn up the oil pump ouput to give it more oil. Someone even did a nice video on turning it up. However, I looked at the adjustment screw/nut for the oil pump on my new sled and it has the dredded yellow don't F** with me paint on it. As bad as Polaris is about covering warranty items when mods are made, I'm scared to death to adjsut the pump. That's why I have considered adding oil to the gas instead. What does everyone think about this?

John

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
I bought a 2012 800 Pro new in August and its still has zero miles on it. The tank is premixed with semi-sythetic as Polaris reccomends. Sorry to get a little off topic but...

A lot of people on the forum say to turn up the oil pump ouput to give it more oil. Someone even did a nice video on turning it up. However, I looked at the adjustment screw/nut for the oil pump on my new sled and it has the dredded yellow don't F** with me paint on it. As bad as Polaris is about covering warranty items when mods are made, I'm scared to death to adjsut the pump. That's why I have considered adding oil to the gas instead. What does everyone think about this?

John

That paint is QA paint, to let the quality inspector know it was adjusted.

M

Mech Engr

Sep 27, 2010
Mountains
Oil

That paint is QA paint, to let the quality inspector know it was adjusted.

I usually do ALL my own maintenance and repair work but I think I'll take it to the dealer and ask if they'll turn the pump up. If they do it then it shouldn't void the warranty.

What quality inspector! :face-icon-small-win

John

A

AK IQ Pilot

Dec 29, 2007
If anything,oil in the fuel lubricates the fuel pump and injectors???

Thats kind of my take too.

When Premix enters a carb'd motor it goes through the reeds and immediately hits the piston skirt as the piston begins to travel back toward TDC. Once the piston skirt has cleared the cyl skirt the premix hits the connecting rod, crank and bearings. As the piston approaches TDC the incoming premix hits the exposed cylinder and piston pin bearings. After ignition the piston heads back downward where the piston and rings utilize the oil film to form a barrier between the piston and cylinder. As the piston is traveling downward on the power stroke the premix travels through the transfer ports and heads up into the combustion chamber area above the piston.

Once the premix enters the cylinder above the piston it lubricates the cylinder wall above the piston ring. As the piston travels back up on the compression stroke the rings wipe the oil off the cylinder. The oil helps the rings seal and provides some lubrication for the cylinder and piston but only above the the transfer ports and higher.

On a CFI-2 motor, Premix enters the cylinder from the boost ports when the piston is headed to BDC. A small amount of premix hits the piston at the boost ports but nowhere else on the piston. Once the piston has reached BDC the premix is in the combustion chamber area above the piston and rings. At this point the cylinders above the rings are being lubricated by the premix. As the piston travels back up on the compression cycle the premix is wiped from the cylinder walls by the rings. At no time does premix lubricate the cylinder below the transfer ports. A very small amount of premix will lubricate the piston in the area of the boost port but this is relatively insignificant.

In summary. Premix in a CFI-2 motor lubricates only the cylinder and only above the transfer ports. The rings wipe some of this lubrication off as the piston travels up. The amount of lubrication the piston skirt and lower cylinder get from this premix is debatable and IMO offers minimal additional protection for the piston.

A

AK IQ Pilot

Dec 29, 2007
I usually do ALL my own maintenance and repair work but I think I'll take it to the dealer and ask if they'll turn the pump up. If they do it then it shouldn't void the warranty.

What quality inspector! :face-icon-small-win

John

Don't be surprised if your dealer tells you he is not allowed to increase the oil consumption because of EPA Regulations and emissions requirements.

Premium Features