• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

OK we've had the positive XP comments.. now how about the bad?

1911freak

Nov 26, 2007
Kaysville, UT
Let's hear it.
I've read all the positive comments and I'm considering getting one. Would like to know what to watch out for.

S

SylvanLaker

Nov 26, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB. Canada
You know guys I ate belts before on my 04 but only Ski Doo Belts. I hate to be the first to say this but I think the Ski doo belts are the problem. I don't care what anyone says about alignment, blah, blah blah, seriously I have never blow an ultimax 3. My 04 was set up right and it still ate ski doo belts. My new XP same thing. I just bought another ultimax as a back up and that's all I'll run now.. Two new ski doo belts for sale! anyone??

R
Nov 26, 2007
Sylvan Lake
Hey Chris have you seen any results on the dyno (track)of the the ultimax vs OEM belts. the max is consistently 5-6hp less every run than the stocker. must be some slipage or different compounds, no sure but that was the results.
That being said i had 2300miles on my original OEM belt in my 05 and just changed it for a new one this fall, figured its gotta go sooner or later!
All i did was measure it a few times for wear and clean it.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Oregon
Everyone I know with xp's have had the Handwarmers quit working on the first ride. Ive heard of electrical problems that cause sled to quit.

I dont care what any of you say about the belt issue!! Ski Doo Screwed up and copied the clutch design of the poo 900, which "blew Belts" I realize alignment and cleanliness are a part of it but that clutch angle DOES NOT WORK!!

Go ahead try one out... we all had fair warning of this with the 900 POO

WYrider

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Gillette, WY
How many people on here loved the under hood shovel storage on the REVs? I can't think of many times its taken more than 1 min to dig out the hood of a REV. Some poeple like backpacks. I have a helipro myself but would rather not where it.

J
Nov 26, 2007
Cache Valley, Utah
"OK we've had the positive XP comments.. now how about the bad?"
Well I have three things. Not sure if I would call them bad. More of an inconvienance. First, no storage area on the sled in stock form. I rode with the xp last saturday and ended up carrying his lunch and all the rest of his crap in my M1 out of the kindness of my heart. I guess if you want storage you have to accessorize with a backback, handlebar bag, or strap a bag on the back of the sled. Second, coming off riding an 07 EFI M1 I've gotten spoiled on how easy the throttle is to push. I rode the XP for a half hour and my thumb got stiff because I wasn't used to the extra effort. Back in the day I road a 670 rotax and put stiffer springs in to keep them from sticking and let me tell you that thing made a sore thumb at the end of the day. Third, I noticed the sled in stock form vibrated a lot through all throttle positions and speeds. My hands were numb. Now these three things aren't that "bad" just some things I notice over my 07 M1. Everyone said my current sled would vibrate but it runs smooth as silk. All in all the xp takes a 97 out of 100 so far in my book.

S
Nov 28, 2007
I don't know if this is true cuz I haven't had the chance yet to ride my XP but I was told by my dealer that the handwarmers only work past a certain RPM. I can't remember what RPM that was but he said they don't turn on when the machine is at an idle.

1911freak

Nov 26, 2007
Kaysville, UT
Thanks for all the commnets.
I have been reading up on Ski-Doo and it's interesting that no one mentioned crank issues since this is the same motor as the '07.
I'm a wrong to asume that the crank on an '08 (or ,07 for that matter) will go at some point?

K

kodpkd

Nov 28, 2007
Loveland, CO
crank

Thanks for all the commnets.
I have been reading up on Ski-Doo and it's interesting that no one mentioned crank issues since this is the same motor as the '07.
I'm a wrong to asume that the crank on an '08 (or ,07 for that matter) will go at some point?

You are wrong. They fixed the crank problem. Not all 07's had the problem, none in the 08's, as far as I have heard.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Near a city in WA.
I did not notice any abnormal vibration on mine, not sure what the difference would be? Tolerences in 07' crank were too tight, that has been fixed for 08' so hopfully no crank issues this year.:D

Premium Features