• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Getting stuck in the flat

D
Jan 1, 2008
Davis Co, Utah
I recently acquired two 1996 arctic cat machines, a triple 900 and a 580.

I'm a novice rider but I've found powder riding to be almost impossible as I get stuck in flat terrain. I know conditions and experience play a big part but I can't go 30 sec in easy terrain before it bogs down and sinks.

I was wondering what more experienced riders opinions would be about track extensions and if it would be worth the money to put into them. I believe both of these are completely stock machines probably 136 in tracks.

These are older but only have 3,000 and 1,500 miles on them and have run great for me otherwise.

Also could a mechanically inclined person attempt the job or would this better be left to a pro?

Last edited:
P
Jan 1, 2008
oregon
I found that keeping momentum is a good way to stay unstuck and when you do slow down ease into the throttle gently. And when doing a track extension I would do 151-159 because the more surface area the better you will float.

I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
IMO, the machines are too old in age and technology to put more money into. Probably end up being money pits for not much gain. I'd save that doe to put towards purchasing newer sleds.

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
To many novice riders don't realize that the throttle is their friend! If you are in trouble....pin it! Don't let off like most things. I have had to drill this into my wife's head! Anytime she gets into trouble, she lets off, only making it worse and getting herself stuck.

Aaron

R

RmkMtnRider

Nov 26, 2007
Boise Idaho
To many novice riders don't realize that the throttle is their friend! If you are in trouble....pin it! Don't let off like most things. I have had to drill this into my wife's head! Anytime she gets into trouble, she lets off, only making it worse and getting herself stuck.

Aaron

This is probably the best advice you can have rideing powder. Just duck tape that throttle wide open and dont stop.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Kettle Falls WA
gawd I remember those days, on a 91 phazer 121 with the stock block track

I would have to make a circle to park in my own tracks, sometimes it would have to be going down hill even lol

getting stuck on flat ground in 3 foot of fresh pow, no matter how hard you pinned it

we would ride following each other, when the leader got stuck we would juke around him and pin it to go as far as we could before we got buried, then the next guy would pin it....we would leap frog thru the hay field this way lol!

once we got a solid trail going thru the hayfield we'd get a good run up then venture off the trail in the fresh to get a good carve in and barely make it back to the trail before it bogged down and got stuck (early versions of 'highmarking' on flat ground hahah)

man them were the days, lol hella fun to be had and didn't have to drive 4-5 hours to find enough snow to be challenging

W
Nov 27, 2007
bear creek, montana
wrong sled for that application
to much ski pressure
not enough track (length and paddle size)
wrong clutching
wrong gearing(way to fast)

thats why a mountain sled sucks on the trail
and a trail sled sucks in the powder

E
Nov 26, 2007
oregon
DMN,

We are assuming first of all that you are standing up in the powder. (It's always amazing to watch someone ride into the powder sitting.)

Secondly, if your riding on a 136 track, even the 08's blow in the powder. They just dont have enough track to stay on top. They are made for the trails.

It's not too hard to extend a 136 to a 144, and it only takes about $50.00 in parts to do so beyond the expense of a track. A 144 is not a whole lot better in the deep however, to make it worth the conversion on those sleds. If your even slightly mechanically inclined you can do it yourself. Besides you'll learn alot about the workings of your sleds. If you want to extend beyond a 144, you need to pony up more money as you will need a longer rails. Ride those sleds as is, until you can step up to something with more track.

Finally, as mentioned by others here the throttle is your best friend in the pow. keep your momentum up at all costs.

Premium Features