• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XP Panel Discoloration - Sticker Removal

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
FYI - We removed stickers from the XP, and they are much thinner than old stickers (Different material) and when you heat them up to peel them off, the leftover residue needs cleaned off. We used "GOO-Gone" and it left the panels discolored. Advise to not use GOO-GOne, anyone else use something different??
:eek:

S
Nov 28, 2007
I removed all my stickers last night with some stuff called "Oops" and it seemed to do a pretty good job. I used armorall after and it looks pretty good! Hope this helps.

Summit830

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, ID
I used an electrical contact cleaner (LPS - No Flash Contact Cleaner) -- removed the adhesive residue and no ill effects to the side panels.

H
Nov 26, 2001
Renton
Idaho Slim---3M has a great product designed not to hurt panels or paint--It is a adhesive remover--Local paint store or Napa should have it.
Bummer to hear---Maybe time for that custom paint agian?;)

H20SKE...

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
if there is a drastic color difference in the plastic after removeall of the stickers then the dealer or :someone?: may have left it in the sun and the plastic was discolored by the sun... ? i dont know for sure without seeing it. but any adheasive remover should take the sticker resadoooooo off without leaving any trace. i took my stickers off my 06 with a hair dryer and laquer thinner and had know probs. looks good with a little armor all after that. Armor all will protect it from the tree branches in your not so distant future..

arcticridr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2003
Redding Ca
Believe it or not go ol WD40 takes glue off really well and doesnt dry the plastic out either !!!!!!!!!!!!

S

SilverGriz

Oct 22, 2004
Hayden, ID
Goo Gone did the same for me Slim...not sure why. I have been stewed over this for 3 weeks. I have never had a problem with it in the past.

I used some back to black and they look a little better. I think I will just run it this season and if I can't stand the panels, I will have them painted gloss black next year.

S

sleddinhusker

Nov 26, 2007
Arnold, NE
apsserver.arnold.k12.ne.us
I used two different citrus based removers. One was called Orange Peel, and I cant remember the other one. Both worked great, no problems at all "for me". I took off all but two stickers, and looks great. Then I let someone else do the other two, (bottom X's), with the Orange Peel and it looks like hell. Looks like they took sandpaper to it!!! It must have been the rag they were using or something. Not very happy about it. Hopefully I can buff it out or something this week.

Note to self: If you want anything done, do it your lazy self.

J
Nov 26, 2007
tri-cities, wa
SLIMMY CAREFUL WITH THAT GOO GONE STUFF. I KNOW YOU TAKE THE BLUE PILLS NOW, BUT SHE CAN STILL GET PREGGERS ... sorry about the sled, did ya mount it and get goo all over it?

Brandon does need a lil mini doo, so if the xp is preggers i get dibs on the offspring!

skippyh2o

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2005
Bonney Lake
www.hidsource.com
Last edited:
Q
Nov 26, 2007
edmonton
I too used goo gone but did not notice any discolored panels with it. Now i got too have a closer look. One think i did find out is i used mothers back to black on the panels and it left them really greasy.

Z
Jan 12, 2005
Hahns Peak, CO
I bbought a can of Oops yesterday, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. I removed my warning/caution stickers over the weekend, and yes they were a pain to remove. Too much heat and they streach and break off, too little heat and they just break off. I scratched the panel on the first try while trying to curle up an edge with my leatherman. I did notice that it almost seams like there's a thin rubber coating over the plastic ...must be that stealth paint ...to go along with the stealth design of the panels.

BC-XP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Kamloops
FYI - We removed stickers from the XP, and they are much thinner than old stickers (Different material) and when you heat them up to peel them off, the leftover residue needs cleaned off. We used "GOO-Gone" and it left the panels discolored. Advise to not use GOO-GOne, anyone else use something different??
:eek:

Too Late...................mine are discolored from that Orange Oil GOO GONE. Oh well, could have been worse, I could've sprayed something on that ate the side panel.

Bit of snow and you won't even notice

BC-XP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Kamloops
I used brake clean on one side and wd-40 on the other and they both worked great. Neither one left any discoloration. Did the same with the tunnel then waxed it...Looks Good...

Did you use anything special to wax the tunnel? Chrome Polish?

S
Nov 26, 2007
Lake Stevens, WA
I use cooking oil on anything that I think may discolor or breakdown, but WD-40 is the fastest and safest I have found. I know some car dealers use WD-40 to take the protective coatings off of their new cars with fresh paint.

Premium Features