• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

summit 800 oil pump adjustment ??

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
One of my buddies bought a 2001 summit 800 at the end of the year last year. he rode it 3 times last year. It smokes terrible!!! The oil pump needs to be adjusted. Is that a simple thing to do? How do you go about it? It must be injecting about 24:1 right now.

A
Mar 11, 2007
Onoway Alberta
It might be the oil pump itself.Mine lever was staying open when I came off the throttle and it took forever to come back to the idle position.I tried spraying the arm and cable with no luck.I found a bag of springs at an auto parts store. One of the springs was like a ballpoint pen spring about 2 inches long.I threaded the spring over my oil pump cable at the pump end and the problem is gone.

O
Dec 2, 2007
Black Hills
One of my buddies bought a 2001 summit 800 at the end of the year last year. he rode it 3 times last year. It smokes terrible!!! The oil pump needs to be adjusted. Is that a simple thing to do? How do you go about it? It must be injecting about 24:1 right now.

Two ways to check pump calibration, remove airbox, take up slack in throttle lever and check that the index marks on the pump lever and on the pump housing line up or find the adjuster on the oil cable, roll back the rubber boot, gently pull the cable apart at that point and measure how much cable is exposed and adjust to factory spec, I prefer the first method for accuracy.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
i just bend my mounting bracket for the spring slightley to make the cable not pull quite as far, and the spring trick is really helpful, as those sleds and the revs are notorious for having stick cables.

Premium Features