• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So, do you buckle your helmet when you ride??

S

Spud

Mar 5, 2003
Lewistown,MT-USA
I watched Extreme Teams DZ2 yesterday and noticed a segment where some dude hit a downhill jump, lost his lid & come out with a migrane headache. Hmmmm.

H

Highmarker

Nov 20, 2004
In the west!
Try to most of the time. But usually end up sledding on the weekend with a big hangover so the helmet has to be quick release for ease of barfing. Puked in my helmet a time or two because I could not get the straps off in time.. HAHAHA

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
UMM, yeah always, even though its a pain with gloves.
But 2 of the guys I ride with never do. I think they are goofy!!
Although I had a friend get buried in a avalanche 2 years ago, he did NOT have his buckled, when the slide stoped we could see his helmet on the surface, before I took my beacon out we ran over to his helmet and starting pulling snow from under it. He was 8 inches under his hat!!!
I am not rying to say it is safe to rie with out your hat buckled but it sure helped us locate him FAST. He was ok.

sleddin pete

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Summit County Colorado
I always wear my helmet..... in the parking lot,it looks so cool with my beacon and shovel.when it comes time to ride I put all that stuff in the truck ,wouldn't want anything to get scratched would I ? ...Honestly yes,always, brain damage does not sound like a good time to me

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
On a ride yes, mine is buckled.. If I'm just moving it around the yard or loading I don't wear a helmet.

S
Nov 27, 2007
Jasper AB
First year I rode hit a drop a little slow went nose heavy to the ground and hit the bars...helmet came back and split lips and caused a nose bleed... Always have it done up now!!!!

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I can't even believe this is a discussion, honestly... why wear it (or even spend the money on one) if you're not going to wear it right? Once mine goes on, it generally stays on... My head stays nice and warm that way. And you can't see the goofy faces I'm making at you.

Puked in my helmet a time or two because I could not get the straps off in time.. HAHAHA
Picture completely related!

I
Nov 26, 2007
Nope, I can give you 3-4 legit reasons why I don't but the main one and most accurate is laziness. However, being Polish I was blessed with an abnormally large head and thus my XXL helmet still fits snug to my ears...despite my frequent games of chicken with inanimate objects my helmet has only come off once from wrecking. I dropped the sled upside down on a glacier and as it rolled over the top of me the throttle stuck...the track hit my head and removed my helmet and the sled kept rolling. I sat up with some pain in my ribs and no head injuries. Now I've got a tekvest too, and I even wear it occasionally.

I don't recommend anyone else not strap their helmets...but you asked.

And yes, my parents were fanatical about making me strap my helmet when I was young.

R
Mar 28, 2003
FTC/GWS, CO
Depends, I know a guy that got hit and if it would have been buckled he could have maybe lost his head, instead he got a lot of plastic surgery. I always had it buckled when I was racing, but probably 80% of the time riding now.

Premium Features