• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First 07 clutch thread, sorry everyone...

So I was just wondering how peoples updates are working and holding up. I have not gotten any seat time on mine yet. When I do should I bring 3 spare belts again? I hope not.

How do they hold RPM's and pull? I am going to try my DJ helix, but otherwise stock for clutching. Mine is only 144". Sure hoping to not eat belts, and hold RPM's. If it is okay, I may gear down a bit to see what that will gain or lose.

W
Nov 26, 2007
Sheridan, WY
I bought a leftover new 07 151 (kick me) and have some of the same questions. After reading all the posts on SNOWTALK and DOOTALK it seems as though gearing down is a must on the 07's. Cooler clutches, cooler belt, less underhood heat, etc. It's the first thing I'm doing. Might eliminate some of the venting that seems to be so common. I've yet to see a specific suggestion or kit, including the Ski-Don't "upate kit", that addresses all of the various TRA7 primary clutch problems. Ski-doo should pay for a semi-load of P-85 clutches and hand them out, along with a letter of apology for overgearing.

I am sure that gearing will fix a lot of the issues, but not all of them. I am interested to see how the updates hold up, then maybe gearing. I know what gearing does, and have greatly benifited from it in the past. But, I know that my 144" has the same gears as the 06 144's and they work great. Why should I have to change gears when my sled is suppossed to have more power? Anyways, I am sure in a few weeks it will be geared down, but for now I am curious on how the clutching holds up.

Oh and I won't kick you wyo, I hope it is a good sled.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
The latest bushings are working great, as are the rollers. As for eating belts, that's 100% a alignment and settup issue....more settup than anything else, if the calibration isn't right ANY sled will eat belts. IMO just changing the helix and using the rest of the stock calibration, then yes...you should bring extra belts.

R

Ricardo

Nov 26, 2007
Moose Jaw, Sk.
I have an 07 adrenaline 151" in getting the clutch updates right now. Riding Revy next week so I guess we'll see how it works out. For what it's worth, after making a few changes last year my clutching worked out pretty good. I did the usual clean up of the primary that every one else did. Put a stiffer spring in the primary and took a little weight out of the pins. Then put in a 44-40 helix (stock one out of a 159") and floated the secondary. I did not re-gear. I also got rid of the plastic clutch shroud and moved the tool kit for better air movement around the clutches. 650 miles last year, mostly mountain riding and my belt still looks like new. After reading about the misery some guys went through I feel pretty lucky. I almost didn't take it in for the updates, but figured I may pay for that down the road.

X

XXL

Jan 18, 2006
Wilsall, Montana
Haven't got the final fix for the final fix yet, the pre-final fix before the final fix worked pretty good for one day though!! I better call my dealer to see if the F.F.F. (Final Fix Fairy) came and left the magic parts under his pillow yet.

W

Wyoming T/A

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Sep 26, 2006
Powell,Wyoming
Haven't got the final fix for the final fix yet, the pre-final fix before the final fix worked pretty good for one day though!! I better call my dealer to see if the F.F.F. (Final Fix Fairy) came and left the magic parts under his pillow yet.

thats pretty good F.F.F. [ aka brp ]:confused:

I kept my 07 and have the updates, I did ride it a little bit, and my wife rode it as well. I traded off with her so I could test it on a few pulls, it seemed to pull really well and no rpm issues. I did not have huge powder to play in, so time will tell if it really is fixed, but so far I think it is much better.

Last year on any steep climbs my rpm would bounce around, drop to 7700 or so and back up to 8200 or so, this last weekend it would pull 8400 up the hills.

northof40

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Saskatchewan
So I have been reading all the posts on here about the clutch, and other problems on the summits, Have other models had these problems to? just wondering cause i bought an 07 Renegade X 800 this year and am new to doo.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Engines seizing because of to tight of specs. may be an issue you over looked. do a search on old snowest.

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
Rode mine for 2 days in Revy and had no problems with belts. Still seems to run hotter than I like but that seems to be par for the course with the TRA.

Might try a P-85 on it this year, have always thought that was a better clutch.

The latest bushings are working great, as are the rollers. As for eating belts, that's 100% a alignment and settup issue....more settup than anything else, if the calibration isn't right ANY sled will eat belts. IMO just changing the helix and using the rest of the stock calibration, then yes...you should bring extra belts.

Okay

Then why when I removed every second button oring in primary did my belts go from 50-100 miles, to 400 miles a belt? I have tried DJ's kit, works good, but still ate belts. I have tried all the BRP fixes, still ate belts. It seen 2 dealers for alignment and all was good. They checked everything with engine and it is making normal power. It was not till I tried fixing the issue myself did I get anywhere. First I tried floating secondary. It helped a bit but by no means the fix. And yes it floats, I have driven with side panel off and belt gaurd off( I know, stupid) and it floats every time. Then I removed primary button orings, and voila. But then I had to pull all pin weight because I could not click up high enough to get RPM's. Then I had to go back to stock primary spring because DJ's had to much force, and I didn't want to buy another spring. Once the belt life was proven to be beter, I installed the stock updated helix 44* instead of DJ's helix, and then it shifted poorly, would bog on pulls in deep snow, was a big dog pos. I went back to dj's helix and it is the best I can get it. Now that that is said, when I compare to my bro's 06X 144, and my old mans 06 144, they both out climb me, and have never ate one belt in 750-1500 miles. I am kinda sorta okay with my sled the way it was last season after the belt life improved, but I think that the sled is along ways off in what it could be, clutching or gearing wise.

I am glad to hear that the bushings and rollers are working great. Cause I have the latest updates done now, and should be testing this sat. Now if the temp would just co operate.

Anyways, keep the comments coming, thanks!

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Okay

Then why when I removed every second button oring in primary did my belts go from 50-100 miles, to 400 miles a belt? I have tried DJ's kit, works good, but still ate belts. I have tried all the BRP fixes, still ate belts. It seen 2 dealers for alignment and all was good. They checked everything with engine and it is making normal power. It was not till I tried fixing the issue myself did I get anywhere. First I tried floating secondary. It helped a bit but by no means the fix. And yes it floats, I have driven with side panel off and belt gaurd off( I know, stupid) and it floats every time. Then I removed primary button orings, and voila. But then I had to pull all pin weight because I could not click up high enough to get RPM's. Then I had to go back to stock primary spring because DJ's had to much force, and I didn't want to buy another spring. Once the belt life was proven to be beter, I installed the stock updated helix 44* instead of DJ's helix, and then it shifted poorly, would bog on pulls in deep snow, was a big dog pos. I went back to dj's helix and it is the best I can get it. Now that that is said, when I compare to my bro's 06X 144, and my old mans 06 144, they both out climb me, and have never ate one belt in 750-1500 miles. I am kinda sorta okay with my sled the way it was last season after the belt life improved, but I think that the sled is along ways off in what it could be, clutching or gearing wise.

I am glad to hear that the bushings and rollers are working great. Cause I have the latest updates done now, and should be testing this sat. Now if the temp would just co operate.

Anyways, keep the comments coming, thanks!

The buttons in the primary that Doo used last year were WRONG...they did not have the same curvature as the towers they ride against. On mine I sanded them to a closer match and it was better but not "correct". I would suspect that by removing every other o-ring you allowed the clutch halves to slide easier (as they should) similar to my sanding of the buttons.
When my dealer did the latest update they put in the NEW buttons and they fit perfect, I looked at the wear pattern after some miles this year and they are wearing evenly, last year about a 1/8" wide wear pattern and too tight.
You need to try this....160/320 spring, 44/36 helix with stock spring and as much weight as it will pull. Not sure of your altitude but it's about 18g at 3-6000ft If you ride more roads or if hills are not your main priority then go with a 44/40 helix. Try it!;)

The buttons in the primary that Doo used last year were WRONG...they did not have the same curvature as the towers they ride against. On mine I sanded them to a closer match and it was better but not "correct". I would suspect that by removing every other o-ring you allowed the clutch halves to slide easier (as they should) similar to my sanding of the buttons.
When my dealer did the latest update they put in the NEW buttons and they fit perfect, I looked at the wear pattern after some miles this year and they are wearing evenly, last year about a 1/8" wide wear pattern and too tight.
You need to try this....160/320 spring, 44/36 helix with stock spring and as much weight as it will pull. Not sure of your altitude but it's about 18g at 3-6000ft If you ride more roads or if hills are not your main priority then go with a 44/40 helix. Try it!;)

What length of track is that on? I may end up trying it, will see how the setup I have now works. Do you know what the stock primary spring is? I forget already.

Thanks

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
Summitsrule, i dissagree with winter brew that alignment prep is the major culprit in the belt issue. My clutch was always aligned and the sheaves were cleaned every time last year and i still blew belts like crazy. If your primary parts are not working right and creating a super heated clutch then your gonna blow belts, its not an alignment issue.

I also have a 144 and ran the updates last weekend in some deep wet mashed potatoe style snow that would have made my old clutch drag ***. I had to turn the clicker up a notch, but it pulled HARD. about 8500 on the trail and 8200 or 300 on the hill. Not nearly as much clutch heat. I was impressed.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Summitsrule, i dissagree with winter brew that alignment prep is the major culprit in the belt issue. My clutch was always aligned and the sheaves were cleaned every time last year and i still blew belts like crazy. If your primary parts are not working right and creating a super heated clutch then your gonna blow belts, its not an alignment issue.

I also have a 144 and ran the updates last weekend in some deep wet mashed potatoe style snow that would have made my old clutch drag ***. I had to turn the clicker up a notch, but it pulled HARD. about 8500 on the trail and 8200 or 300 on the hill. Not nearly as much clutch heat. I was impressed.

I believe I said ...."As for eating belts, that's 100% a alignment and settup issue....more settup than anything else"

T
Nov 27, 2007
Victor, Idaho
ran a brand new 07 rev 151 adrenalin yesterday at togwotee for 62 miles mixed trail, deepsnow, and small climbs. sled ran great belt looks good. i have the latest update in the clutch and experienced 8200rpm until intake foam on the outside of couling became iced up and cloogged with snow which dropped rpms to aroud 7500. cleaned foam and went right back to 8200rpm. need to get some filter fabric for the foam! clickers were on three for our elevation of 8000 to 9000'. some fine tuning and i think this sled is going to rip. i'll pull the clutch, look for wear and repost! happy riding:)

F

Frenchie

Nov 29, 2007
Calgary, AB
Tested mine in Sicamous last weekend (about 80 miles), pulled right up to 8400 and stayed there no prob on steep with about 1ft of fresh. 46mph avg track speed. I guess this update works just fine because I bought this 07 for peanuts and the previous owner wished me good luck with the sled... He had enough of it, since he had major rpm and belt issues with it last year.
I didn't see anyone whining about their 07's either so it looks like the good fix is here.

Tested mine in Sicamous last weekend (about 80 miles), pulled right up to 8400 and stayed there no prob on steep with about 1ft of fresh. 46mph avg track speed. I guess this update works just fine because I bought this 07 for peanuts and the previous owner wished me good luck with the sled... He had enough of it, since he had major rpm and belt issues with it last year.
I didn't see anyone whining about their 07's either so it looks like the good fix is here.

I hope you are correct with that assumption. I have had enough last year. Now I will not know if it works till at earliest next weekend, as it is too cold for me to ride this weekend.

Premium Features