• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo Nytro

Truckee Coastie

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2008
Truckee, CA
I am wanting a four stroke turbo that is as light as my m1000 and as good in the trees and tight shoots that we have here in Truckee. I know a turbo m1000 does very well here but I am intersted in a pump gas sled with good hp numbers. Is a set up Nytro good in tight spots? Power is not the question nor is money spent on getting the Nytro's weight down, just want a sled in the 220 hp range that works in our area. Any help would be great.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I don't think they are that great in the really tight and technical stuff. You can take tons of weight off them but you can't get it off the front where it is really needed. They are an awesome sled with a turbo.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I don't think they are that great in the really tight and technical stuff. You can take tons of weight off them but you can't get it off the front where it is really needed. They are an awesome sled with a turbo.

Huh? This sled will dial with anything out there. The first few times I rode mine it pitched me off it turned so fast and the weight balance is perfect. Guys have got to get over this "I want 2 stroke weight with 4 stroke reliability and power" thing. 4 strokes will always be heavier. End of discussion, but who cares ride one for a while and you will see for yourself but if you can't get over the number on the scale then look elsewhere for your ride.

M5

D
Nov 26, 2007
My opinion, I went from a cat to a turbo Nytro and the nytro is by far more nimble than the cat. Took a couple rides to get used to it but now there is no comparison to me. Build a Nytro, u will love it:beer;

grayghost

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Montana
I also agree that the nytro is more nimble than the mcat after owning both. The nytro is really well balanced and you don't fight the nose wieght as much as the other rider forward sled's imo. You can easily drop over 50pds off them for a reasonable cost as well suspension (front and rear) and a lighter battery.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Huh? This sled will dial with anything out there. The first few times I rode mine it pitched me off it turned so fast and the weight balance is perfect. Guys have got to get over this "I want 2 stroke weight with 4 stroke reliability and power" thing. 4 strokes will always be heavier. End of discussion, but who cares ride one for a while and you will see for yourself but if you can't get over the number on the scale then look elsewhere for your ride.

M5
I don't need numbers on the scale. I know what they all ride like. I have rode just about everything. I have a turbo Nytro and two revs. They are both good sleds. One will do things the other won't or will have trouble with and vise versa. Just telling that guy my opinion. I'm sorry you can't deal with that.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
I don't need numbers on the scale. I know what they all ride like. I have rode just about everything. I have a turbo Nytro and two revs. They are both good sleds. One will do things the other won't or will have trouble with and vise versa. Just telling that guy my opinion. I'm sorry you can't deal with that.

well, 19 pounds off the front is a pretty good number isnt it? can pull 10 with switch to alternate batter, and 9 with the barkbuster front end kit...granted it is not like my skid where I have pulled nearly 40 off...but is a good start...and the lighter muffler pulls another close to 10...

loads of weight off these things...

and I too have a rev, and find this sled to be more nimble...but that is my opinion...

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
Swaybar is 2.90 lbs
Headlight is 2.82 lbs
Fox Floats is ~6 lbs? (not sure on exact wt savings)
Aftermarket skis 2-5 lbs? (guessing) not to mention not HOLDING snow like the stockers appear to in the deep.

granted, i don't think i'll ever get close to the actual weight of my current Rev, but as its been said, or most would know after riding it, it handles so much more predictably when its on 1 ski, that alone makes a big difference.

i do still think, stuck, its going to be more of a pig than most the newer (lighter) 2 strokes...for sure...at least being stuck doesn't end your day! ;)
if it takes 15 more minutes to dig out and then i can turn key and go, that will make up for it! :p

S

Sno Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
I truly thought a turbo nytro would be my next sled. I had the great opp. to ride a couple of them hear locally and didn't like them at all....and I want to. I rode a Boondocker turbo with Timbersled F&R and Dan Bush's MCExpress turbo with Timbersled F&R.
Both of these sleds felt great in terms of power and they turned on a dime. I climbed a few little climbs (they weren't my sleds so I wasn't pushing it) and they felt horrible on the climbs. They felt extremely heavy and were hard to control. How long does this take to get used too? I feel I am a pretty decent rider and push the limits...but I didn't feel comfortable at all climbing anything technical. Every time I have seen these sleds perform they have been on big climbs in places like Revy. That is not what we have here. It is very very very tight on the climbs and the way back down.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
The MCX I rode scared me too while doing a straight up head on climb...specially with a jump or bump of some sort in the climb where the sled wanted to stand straight up. I have plenty of experiance with that feeling on a Rev, but think the power, traction, speed is the scary part when it stands straight up. I think it may be somewhat suspension/sled setup, and well, getting used to the extra 70-100 HP maybe...and...weight?? :D

But, on another note, there was a bit of a learning curve with the Rev as well...Im sticking with it needs 'getting used to'...

I truly thought a turbo nytro would be my next sled. I had the great opp. to ride a couple of them hear locally and didn't like them at all....and I want to. I rode a Boondocker turbo with Timbersled F&R and Dan Bush's MCExpress turbo with Timbersled F&R.
Both of these sleds felt great in terms of power and they turned on a dime. I climbed a few little climbs (they weren't my sleds so I wasn't pushing it) and they felt horrible on the climbs. They felt extremely heavy and were hard to control. How long does this take to get used too? I feel I am a pretty decent rider and push the limits...but I didn't feel comfortable at all climbing anything technical. Every time I have seen these sleds perform they have been on big climbs in places like Revy. That is not what we have here. It is very very very tight on the climbs and the way back down.

S

Sno Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
The MCX I rode scared me too while doing a straight up head on climb...specially with a jump or bump of some sort in the climb where the sled wanted to stand straight up. I have plenty of experiance with that feeling on a Rev, but think the power, traction, speed is the scary part when it stands straight up. I think it may be somewhat suspension/sled setup, and well, getting used to the extra 70-100 HP maybe...and...weight?? :D

But, on another note, there was a bit of a learning curve with the Rev as well...Im sticking with it needs 'getting used to'...

I agree...but after the Nytro I hopped on a M1000 with an OVS turbo and felt very comfortable. Of course I ride a M1000...so that is to be expected. The power didn't bother me, I loved it. It just seemed like a handfull to control in tight situations. When you let off the throttle or just leaned a little to a side it reacted very quick and abrupt. A lot of our chutes have some tight switchbacks...so you are climbing on the gas, let off, set-up and nail it again. During the letting off and re-setting up for the climb is where it feels like a handful. If the chute is wide open and you are just standing on the throttle...the Nytro feels great.
"Truckee Coastie" is a good friend of mine and my concerns after riding a Nytro is what prompted this post. On a forum board it is hard to know if people are being honest or they just feel its necessary to tell people what they want to hear because they just dropped $20,000 into a sled they are less tham impressed with.

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta

I was ready to switch back to the Apex for about the first 500kms. The sled pitched me all over the place. Now I am used to it, I really like it. You have to ride it a little more aggressively but you get used to it. The Timbersled works really well, the stock skid can't handle the boost. Had it working real well after about 600k with a longer track and 16-17lbs boost. It is an awesome sled but does take a little time to adjust to. Will be on a Nytro again next year.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho

I know what you mean...my Nytro doesn't have a turbo on it yet (next fall) but during climbs for the first few hundred miles it took a lot of input to get it going the direction I wanted it. After I played with my setup and got used to the sled I haven't had a problem for quite awhile now.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
there is no doubt when they hit trench line or something, in a climb, that they tell you what happened...posted a vid on here a while back that shows me hitting a trench and it throws me a little, but you learn to navigate it....it is a race chassis, that they have pushed over to a mountain sled...it handles the stuff like that better by just having feet in both footwells...so the correction, for me, is more about legs than arms...

Truckee Coastie

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2008
Truckee, CA
One last question for those who ride turbo nytro's, at the end of the day did the sled beat you up or not. My m1000 at the end of the does not compared to my RMK900 and I don't want to go back to that. Again my group rides in the trees and out and up and down almost anything depending on who they are riding with that day. Also, I wanted to thank everyone for their responses to my original post.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
One last question for those who ride turbo nytro's, at the end of the day did the sled beat you up or not. My m1000 at the end of the does not compared to my RMK900 and I don't want to go back to that. Again my group rides in the trees and out and up and down almost anything depending on who they are riding with that day. Also, I wanted to thank everyone for their responses to my original post.

From the 'day' I had riding Nytros & Rev between the TTro, stock Nytro and Rev.

The turbo will be a handfull / workout at the end of the day more so due to hanging on to the power than the weight of the sled (IMO). But I'm only ~180-190 geared up, and could use some muscle! :p
The stock Nytro was easier to ride than the Rev in/through the trees, and I have ~3 years of tree banging experience on my Rev..
The stock Nytro skis in wet/setup snow were a struggle for me..which I've read others comment on as well.

When stuck, the 4 stroke def is heavier..front and back. Which for me, just requires a bit more time shoveling/tugging, and maybe some more time working out? :p

I had more confidence on the Rev, but again, I think thats due to the fact that I have a lot of seat time on the Rev.

I will say after riding the Nytro and doing a few carves and then getting on the Rev and trying the same, I acted like a fool and carved too tight on the Rev and fell off....not that I don't do that otherwise! lol But as fun as it is to carve, the Nytro does it a lot easier and much more predictably.
Getting the turbo Nytro to dot he carves was a diff story, the boost comes on and the skis are in the air! lol Which is fun too! But will take some getting used to to manage the power effectivley.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
I only rode a Tnytro for a little bit, bone stock chassis with a BD turbo and no head shim runnin 14lbs. Transfered alot with the stock skid and the extra power, but I love my prox chassis (rider forward race chassis, with my 1200 being a holz prepped mtn chassis) The nytro felt extremely nimble and controlable for a technical rider (im only 160lbs or so) and I could toss it around fairly easily, but also I can toss around the apex really good especially in the deep fluf! I would have loved to get some more seat time on the TNytro but really didnt have the chance.

P
Nov 21, 2007
HAYDEN, IDAHO
I own a T-Nytro and have a couple of worthless opinions to post...:D

The T-Nytro is a handful to hang onto when fully spool'd up...but it is a good problem to have. You get used to it after about 150 miles, and the "oh chit" factor goes away.

Getting stuck is a little more work (when it happens)...but then again, it is easily overcome by letting your ridding buddies thow a leg over your sled occasionally. They will be more than willing to help you dig it out, or give a ski tug. ;)

Setup and clutching is key...like any sled! WHY DO PEOPLE THINK THESE SLEDS ARE ANY DIFFERENT!?!? :mad: It's only as good as the setup!

My last comment will pertain to snow conditions. Ridding my sled in the setup wet, no new snow, sping conditions is not so fun. It is a bear to turn, carve, sidehill and just generally ride. But then you add a foot of pow or more and the sled is now the complete opposite! The more the merrier when it comes to powder and a T-Nytro.

My setup in a nutshell:
Nytro
Mcx
EzRyde Rear Susp
Timbersled Front
VE Tunnel
CR Racing Steering setup
A lot more...but don't want to list it all out.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I agree in wetter heavier snow they are a bear to turn. I put the wide simmons on mine and that probably makes it worse in those snow conditions. My shoulders ache at the end of the day. In the deep fluff I don't think they give you a work out. Your arms might get a little sore from all the extra power but you will get used to that.
They are an awesome sled. I don't think you will be un happy if you give up your 1000 for a turbo nytro. A buddy of mine has a 1000 and hasn't rode it since he got his turbo nytro. I, personally, won't give up my rev. I like them both.

S

Sno Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
I think the last few posts hit the nail on the head. I rode both turbo nytros in spring conditions. We don't get the "fluff" very often here in the Sierras. We will get 5' of fresh, but you better be riding within 1-2 days to enjoy it.

Premium Features