• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cooke City Snow Conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Clear and little warmer today than yesterday. Few flurries off and on today, but not enough to amount to anything. Thursday is calling for a 50% chance of snow and again on Saturday. We could surely use some nice new powder. The snowpack has been stabilizing somewhat, but the avalanche danger remains at CONSIDERABLE on wind-loaded slopes steeper than 35 degrees, and MODERATE on less steep slopes. East to southwest facing slopes have been found to be the most unstable. Always remember to proceed with caution and be aware of your surroundings. Bob

L

Lovesnow

Nov 26, 2007
North Dakota
Thanks for the reports Bob. You should run a mid-week special on your rooms to get a few more people around during the week. Just a thought. Thanks

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Cooke City Report

:)We have been running a room special on our website which runs through December 15th. Our next mid-week special will begin in January and run through March. Check out cookecitysuper8.com for details. Thanks for the suggestion. Hope to see you soon.

Will report back on riding conditions around Cooke a little later this morning. Bob

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Just a trace was picked up last night in the mountains and conditions are good for 2-4 inches by this evening. Winds will be 15 mph from the NW and the temps in the upper teens. Have been having off and on snow showers so far today. There has been evidence of recent avalanche activity so the avalanche danger remains at CONSIDERABLE on all wind loaded slopes and MODERATE on all others. Bob

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Just a trace picked up last night with flurries off and on all morning. Saturday is looking at a 50-60% chance of likely accumulations with temps in the upper teens to lower 20's. West-northwest ridgetop winds will be blowing at 20-30 mph. The avalanche danger remains at CONSIDERABLE on all wind-loaded slopes and MODERATE on all others. If you are going to be hitting the slopes, please make sure everyone on your group has a beacon and that they know how to use them. Bob

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Cooke City Conditions

Picked up about an inch in the mountains last night and the snow has been lightly coming down all morning. I'm hoping we get some more before Christmas. If not, its going to make it rough for riding. Tonight and tomorrow is calling for a 20% chance and the next two days 40%. But as we all know, anything can happen up here. Today's ridgetop winds will be from the west/southwest at 20-35 mph, and the temps should rise into the upper teens. Avalanche danger remains at CONSIDERABLE on wind-loaded slopes and MODERATE on all others.

R

RMKrider700

Dec 9, 2007
hey bearclaw,

Do you have any rooms available friday and saturday night? May need two. Do not know if it is worth coming out or not??

W

Wyoming T/A

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Sep 26, 2006
Powell,Wyoming
rode sat on a coupl inches fresh and came back today and about 3 or 4 more wasnt to bad at all
cooke12-16-07005.jpg
:D

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Cooke City Snow

Next couple of days are looking fairly favorable for snow, but we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed and see what the snowman brings. Had alot of guys in this weekend with reports back that the riding was pretty good and others that it wasn't. We do have rooms available this Friday and Saturday and you can give Jen a call at 406-838-2070 if you're interested. Thanks, Bob

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Watching it Snow!

Spent a good part of the morning taking Avalanche Awareness training and had the opportunity to get in a little riding. It's been pretty much snowing all day and I'm hopeful of some nice accumulation - it's not really heavy, but it just keeps coming. Found anywhere from a foot to a foot and a half of fresh powder while riding out west of Daisy. Most of the tracks from the weekend had been covered. I'll try to make it out tomorrow for another run and will report back. Today's avalanche danger remains at CONSIDERABLE on wind loaded slopes and MODERATE on all others. Be safe! Bob

R

RMKrider700

Dec 9, 2007
Thanks for the info Bearclaw Bob. 4 of us coming out Friday morning, keep the snow coming.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
The Snow Is Great!!

What a great early Christmas present!! We had been hoping for snow and boy did we get it. Last night brought us at least 10-12 inches and add that to the two previous days and it makes for some really fun riding. I was out with a bunch of guys from Canada day before yesterday and had a blast. Four plus feet of powder in places, so I can only imagine how great it must be today. Hope to get out later this afternoon. All this new snow though has raised the avalanche danger to :eek::eek:HIGH on wind loaded slopes steeper than 35 degrees and CONSIDERABLE elsewhere. Please BE CAREFUL when hitting the slopes. Make sure everyone in your party has a beacon and proper avalanche gear. We look forward to seeing everyone up here over the holidays and have a safe trip out. Be sure to stop into the bakery for the best breakfast in town - all made from scratch - and offering reasonable prices.

M
Nov 21, 2007
cando, nd
hey bob, thanks for letting us put our sleds in your shop overnight while we were there. Was nice to start the day with no ice/snow buildup. Riding was awesome!!!

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
It's Great!!!!!

Had so many reports of awesome riding coming in, I just had to get out and take a look for myself. The ride brought a whole new meaning to 'plowing' snow. Boy was it fun though! Was especially nice to have some sunshine and blue sky out for once. Tonight and Saturday is calling for 40% chance of snow and jumping up to 60% for Monday. Merry Christmas!! Bob

P
Nov 27, 2007
Cabin available in Cooke, call the Antlers Lodge

FYI,

Didn't know any other forum to put this in to get some views, anyway...

Just canceled two days rez in Cooke for the nights of the 27th and 28th at the Antlers, this was cabin 11.

Give 'em a call if you want a room there for a couple days, I know things are
pretty booked up.

Have fun, we won't be!!!

PS. Canceled the 29th at the Supe-8 too, but I'm sure that will get sucked
up, guy said they had a waiting list...

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bbbbrrrrrrr!!!!! Cold

Woke to not quite 1 degree this morning, but the mountain temps should rise to the mid-teens by this afternoon. It's going to be a beautiful, partly cloudy day for a ride. We are currently experiencing 7 mph winds, and the winds will probably pick up a little because of another storm front making it's way into our area. We've had several groups of guys stay an extra day or two with us at the motel because of the awesome riding. Lots of guys taking advantage of the heated, overnight storage available for your sled at my shop - be sure to stop in and say Hello when you make to town. Snowman is calling for a pretty good chance of some more accumulation this weekend. The avalanche danger remains at :eek::eek:HIGH on all wind-loaded slopes steeper than 35 degrees and CONSIDERABLE on all others. Check us, or the Sinclair, out for your beacon rental needs. Beacons are HIGHLY SUGGESTED!!! Bob

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Another day Another snowflake

Yes its been snowing since this afternoon. The snowman is calling for another few inches tonight. The riding today, is unbelievable. The snow pack has settled abit. But the depth was still 2 to 3 feet. Don't worry, you'll still get stuck. :D I'm hoping everyone has there Christmas shopping done. I finished up this week. Thank goodness for the internet. Have a great night.

W

woodies

BOB we thank you for the great time had .nice to meet someone who knows the area and is willing to go the extra mile for first timers will be back again in spring save us heated space. so nice to ride a thawed sled.and thank your parther for the wonderful lunches.Steve,Scott,Billy,Mike(the mouth)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features